1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen td

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen td

I am going to be buying a 93 td d250 4wd5spd. Anyone have a good list together as far as what I should inspect and what to look for and not to mention the price(150k, good condtion) I have always liked cummins diesels since I was younger, but dont really know what to look for and want to avoid being scammed, thanks in advance, Alex
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say look at wireing, in most dodges well in at least my two the wireing isn't so great, just look for the normal things
Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
If you can, demand that the engine be cold when you arrive to inspect it -- how a cold diesel starts is a good indication of its condition. Assuming it is above 20 degrees, it should fire right up, put out a puff of greyish white smoke, and then run smoothly (the truck will vibrate, but no missing, hesitation, etc.)

On the driver's side of the engine toward the rear is the crank case vent tube. Take a look at it. It will be oily on the inside, but should not be coating everything behind it with oil.

If you see any rust bubbles anywhere, inestigate closely. I think '93's are better, but my truck was totally gone over the windshield, with just a slight crack in the factory paint visible on one side.

Make sure that the ABS & brake lights come on, and then go off when you turn on the ignition. ABS troubles are not uncommon. You CAN simply unplug the unit behind the glove-box and run without the RWAL, but a sometimes folks just take the bulbs out to hide an ABS problem.

THe D60 front axle may have tired u-joints and or king-pin bushings which can effect handling and 4wd operation. Make sure she doesn't pull, shuder when braking, etc. Not to common, but can cause "mystery" problems.

If it hasn't been replaced, the CV joint in the front drive shaft is probably worn out.

Check for slop in the rear differential. The carriers like to puke out shims, and the open differentials like to wear out the cross shaft for the spiders.

If the transmission has been kept filled (it should actually be over-filled by one to two pints) and not abused, it will be okay, but listen to it closely in all gears.

Price depends a lot on where you are. 4x4 5 speed commands a premium. I would pay $7k USD for that truck if she is really in good shape -- and I would probably be out-bid up here.

I am sure other folks will chime in.