1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looking at getting a 1st gen for my 1st vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at getting a 1st gen for my 1st vehicle

Well the title says it all really. I want to know some upsides and downsides to these trucks, particularly the Ram 250 4X4. I have done some reading on the 1st gen's and it seems that the trannys are kinda weak? I read about overfilling the Getrag 360, does it really help?

Also what kind of fuel milage do these puppies get realistically? I've heard they're capable of 25mpg which would be nice considering the cost of fuel these days.

What should I look for when I go to look at a 1st gen? Common problems with them?

Thanks a ton

NoSparkplugs

P.S. How hard is it to turn up the fuel pumps and whatnot? I'm fairly mechancally inclined, more so with gassers than diesels.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:51 PM

i have a 1st gen i get 20 mpgs with it i like it because its easy to do al the work yourself and no its not hard to turn the pump takes about 1 hour i like this truck because it has front springs and i work in the woods so i need a tuff truck and man this is it

this place is awesome for advice and like i said easy to work on a big + for me and its built like a tank not very strong stock but getting there
Old 06-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Upsides: Anvil-simple trucks. Solid axle, leaf sprung vehicles are simple and easy to maintain. The Cummins is a rock. 'Nuff said there. Greatest fuel economy potential of the Cummins powered dodges, imho.

Downsides: Anymore, these trucks are like gold as folks begin to realize the utility and economic value of old stuff that works well and lasts forever. Translation-be prepared to spend more than you want for less truck than you hoped for, in most cases. They're bumpy, rattly old trucks. Do not expect anything different and you won't be dissappointed.

Gotta go to work---can't wait to drive my rattly old Dodge!

greg
Old 06-01-2005, 07:58 AM

I agree with most of whats been said, exept if you look hard enough you can find good deal and get them pretty cheap. (check out my gallery)

I have spent a couple hours tweaking on mine since i got it and the power feels like it has doubled, and the milage has increased. I really think the rest of the truck will fall off the frame before this drive line ever stops. The only advice i can really give is to just remember the regular maintenance stuff and do it. Other than that drive the poop out of it.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 AM

I got my truck for my first truck. Awesome truck to start off on if your into workin on it yourself. Ive done every thing to my truck myself except the turbo housing and thats because instualltion was free.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM

i would also toss in that the MPG is around 15-23 ish from what i have gatherd from here and others i have spoken with. great trucks. im glad i bought mine. when towing to the trails i cant help but smile when im keeping pace with a 30,000 dollar truck on teh freeway and in the hills when i have mine for 4500 plus 1200 in go fast goodies.
PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jiMMy
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 91 350 4X4... Cant say its any more rattly( is that a word?) than most other trucks of its age I have been in.
I average 20-26 mpg with no modifications to the engine other than cutting open the sides of the airfilter housing. I pull a trailer alot and use the truck to move 1200 lb round bales when the tractor is broke( which is more often than not) and it does great.
LOVE MY TRUCK...
Downside,.... teenage daughters wont ride in it, if thats a downside....they seem to tend to have minor electrical problems, the ones I have seen discussed here the most are with the odometer and speedo, but they arent hard or expensive to fix.
Oh... and they tend to scare the dickens out of drivers in little Toyo's and Nissans when tehy want to argue over a parking space......
Old 06-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The transmissions are not as weak as you've been led to believe, they can hold a lot of power OR tow a lot of weight. Don't try to do both at the same time and the trans will hold up well. Overfilling the Getrag is a good idea. It's done to keep the inbput shaft bearing lubricated. Most people overfill by a quart, I just dump the whole 5th quart in. The Getrag is built with preload on the bearings instead of clearance so it is very sensitive to poor lubrication. Run a synthetic 5W-30 or Redline MTL. A synthetic ATF is also acceptable in old weather.

I think a 1st gen is a fine choice for a first vehicle.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 PM

Sounds good.
What are some of the better years to buy? I',m kinda leaning towards the 91 and up due to the intercooler being on these. Not that its not impossible to add one to a pre 91' but I'd rather have it there in the first place.

About the tranny deal. A relative of mine has the exact 1st gen I want (93' LE Power Ram 250 Reg cab 5 speed) but according to him its the biggest POS going. From the tranny(I don't think he knows about overfilling the trans) to other things he says its the worst vehicle he has ever owned. I partly blame this on it being used as a farm truck and not having the easiest life. I was thinking of offering to buy it off of him, but I'm scared its going to be very problematic. I'm going to keep looking in the classifieds for one thats in reasonable shape and decently priced. Which is another thing because it seems the trucks that are clean and nice are all $10,000+ (Canadian dollars) and the others that are half that are beaters with a zillion miles on them.

What is a decent 91'-93' Power Ram 250 4x4 Cummins worth these days anyways?

NoSparkplugs
Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 PM

they hold their value for a reason. i bought the exact truck you say there for 4500 but got a screamin deal. most go from 6k on up to 12k. just depends on location/demand/and of course quality.

jiMMy
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd ask your buddy exactly why it's a POS...what things specifically doesn't he like, or has had to replace--maybe we can help from there. As for the tranny, Wannadiesel is right--they're tougher than they get credit for. 300+ pounds of cast iron can't be all bad! I built mine myself and it was noisy/rattly (at low rpms) from the get go, but I've logged 10k miles now and it hasn't let me down. I've had 10k+ behind it through the hills and my old pump was cranked way up...still no troubles. Aside from that, most of the parts are the same across the board for the fords chevys and dodges of that era:big dana axles, dana t-cases and decent engines. Dodges are quirky beasts compared to most...folks either love 'em or leave 'em. Once they get a taste of Cummins power, though, brand loyalty can become a fleeting thing As for price, like I said in my previous post, FOR THE MOST PART, these trucks are demanding pretty big bucks, though smokin (no pun intended) deals can be found. At this point, Dodge isn't making any more of these trucks, yet more and more people want them, so, IMHO, intercooled or not, a solid 4x4 5 speed in fair shape that truly needs mothing major will always bring at least 6500 American. I paid 5k for mine but had to build the tranny and the rear axle before I even got 1000 miles on it I saved a ton of $$ by doing all the work myself, but having it done woulda put me near 7k or so, which is about what a solid truck is going for.

g
Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got an old, abused farm truck just like your friend: 172,000 miles, stock auto.... It still runs really well. These trucks just don't die.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 PM

From one canuck to another... you're looking at about 8k up or past 15k... I remember seeing one worth $18 500 but it was IMMACULATE for a 1 ton dually 4x4.

Oh and I second what wanna said... A first gen is a great starter vehicle. The one I'm driving as of now would be my first and I sometimes like to give her for all shes worth. I must say she's never let me down. Funny part is... the harder I play, the better she responds. She is my baby
Old 06-01-2005, 09:14 PM

ive seen beaters from 5000 to the perfect first gen 19k (this thing was perfect, twins 6sp, p pumped, the works) I was drooling for a week
Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Actually I got talking to my relative about the truck and why he doesn't like it about a month ago and here are a few reasons for his attitude towards it:

1) The tranny is weak, but once again he didn't overfill it
2) Something in the fuel system (the pump I think) went out and he got it fixed, unfortunately the shop he took it to forgot to tighten down the mounting bolts and the timing went out of whack from the pump rattling around, which was the shops fault, not the truck's
3) Parts in the front end wearing out too quickly (I would blame this partly on its farm truck duties)
4) It apparently gets "terrible" mileage with 16-17mpg on average. Im pretty sure there are a few things that could be done to boost this.
5) He's a Chevy guy

There is some more problems he had with it but from what I can remember, the shop that did the work screwed it up a couple times. This truck I know hasn't had the best life, but its not like it has been totally abused. My relative maintains his stuff and fixes what is broken/worn out.

I had a closer look at it this weekend and it was a little dirty, inside and out but thats nothing a little TLC couldn't fix. It also had a small spot of rust behind the driver's side door, but I'm not too concerned about that. About the value, he figures it isn't worth very much. I'm going to ask him what he thinks its worth and if I haven't found a similar truck, I might make him an offer, provided he wants to sell it.

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a 1st gen for my 1st vehicle