1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen intercooler into N/Ic 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen intercooler into N/Ic 1st gen

I finaly got all my parts for an intercooler install and decided to to a little write up on it.

With this install you WILL NOT be able to retain you're A/C condensor also with this install I flipped the I/C upsidedown

Tools you'll need

Socket set and rachet with a few extensions,a couple screw drivers,drill with assorted bits, sawzall wit a sharp blade, a sharpie, and a tape measure

Parts you will need

1st gen intercooler,1st gen piping, 8 2 1/2" t-bolt clamps or constant torq clamps, 1 2 1/2" v-band clamp, 1 90* v-band elbow, and 4 2 1/2" hump hose boots

First start by removng the Headlight bezels, grille insert, outer grill shell and lower filler panel

Next remove the radiator and A/C condensor if equipped

Now measure 7" down from the bottom side of top of the core support and make a mark, now measure 5 1/4" down from that mark and make another mark, now measure 3 1/2" over from the radiator opening in the core support and make a mark, and repeat on the other side of the support

Once you have your core support cuts laid out you can go ahead and fire up the sawzall and start hacking

Some additional trimming may be required

Now that you have your holes cut in you're core support you can go ahead and and start fitting you intercooler

Now establish where you need to drill your mounting holes (I just held the cooler where it looked centered and marked it with a sharpie) once this is done you can go ahead and drill the holes

You can now measure the space between the core support and the mounting tabs of the cooler, make a note of this measurment and measure the other side, make a note, now you can go cut you're spacers out of some pipe or whatever you got layin around(my measurements were 1 13/16 on the pass side and 1 1/2 on the drivers side

Once you get you're spacers cut you can bolt the cooler in place( remember to put some thin strips of rubber between the cooler and the core support)

I used some 3/8 bolts 3 1/2" long and used fender washers.

Now you can hook up all you're plumbing

Next you will have to trim the radiator mount to clear the inlet and outlet of the cooler

After this is done put the radiator back in the truck

I will post more tomorow after I trim the lower filler panel and get the grille installed in the truck
Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 AM

Looks nice. Is the crossover 45 gonna get passed on again?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Thanks and yeah after my 2nd gen horn gets here, as you can see I'm still using half of it
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Looks good Andrew. Did you get the getrag back together and on the road? I had a 2nd gen intercooler you could have bought from me!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 AM

I haven't got the rag back together yet,waitin on parts

The reason I used the first gen I/C was cause one I already had it and two I'm tryin not to hack the heck out of the grill insert
Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would add that if you haven't done put the tab in for the killer dowel pin this would be a good time to do it. That is my plan when I do this swap as I have most the parts for it minus an intercooler.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM

With that intercooler you shouldnt need to trim any thing,just modify the hood latch brace.I had to add a spacer at the bottom of that brace to.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good write up, make sure you tune us in on EGT drops/boost numbers after the install.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 PM

I got the grille and every thing put back together today

This is what I had to do

I trimmed the lower filler panel to clear the cooler and to get more air through it

I then installed the outer grille shell

Next you'll have to trim the back of the grille insert(I ended up cutting a lot more than I wanted to but I guess when I do a PS I/C I'll have enough room)

I'll probably end up making some stainless steel inserts for the grill so it'll look a little better

Driving Impresions

I noticed EGT's dropped 50* at idle, it dropped 100* at cruiseing speed and dropped 200* at WOT

I also noticed a 10 psi drop in boost but later discovered a small boost leak in one of the cheesy factory boots, I will report new results after Iget some new silicone boots on the old truck

On the test drive I saw a max boost pressure of 36PSI and a max EGT of 1250 degrees, and the climb there was a lot slower

All in all I'm very pleased with my install and would recomend it to anyone with a N/IC truck that can live without A/C
Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM

"go ahead and fire up the sawzall and start hacking"

My thoughts exactly. Right on son! Git R Done
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 AM

what about those of us that cant live whithout A/C.? does a 2nd gen fit for that?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Well with as much as I trimmed off the grille I could probly fit the condensor back in, which I might do, or you could mount the condensor somewhere else.

I have also heard the factory intercooled trucks had a thinner condensor you could use also.

Is there any truth to this?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

How much room do you have between the core support and IC end tanks? You couldn't stuff it any closer? I'm gonna get some pics of mine within the next few weeks.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM

There is no room between the tanks and the core support
Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well on the intercooled model, I fit my ac condesor right in between the intercooler and raditor.. It was like it was supposed to be there, thats how nice it fit.. Here is a few pics

Quick Reply: 1st gen intercooler into N/Ic 1st gen