12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Who IS running a waste oil mix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMO filtration

I was trying to find info on "water blocks" and did not find much of anything. Can anyone explain what type of unit it is? Has anyone tried an old fashion sediment bowl to collect the water you are referring to in the oil ??? I guess the incoming volume would be too high for a sediment bowl.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by buckshot
Thanks for the idea on the drain in the whole house filter. I too am looking into the use of a centrifuge. It seems like the best way to go. After looking at Diesel Craft cost it made me continue to do more research until I found Pa Bio Systems in Duncannon, Pa. I still don't have the $1000.00 to purchase their centrifuge, barrel, pump system.
buckshot
You don't need $1,000 for a centrifuge set up. Source the parts yourself! I'm building mine for less than $300!

The pump and motor- Search procon pump on ebay $35-100 ea.

the centrifuge- search wvo centrifuge on ebay- $135

Band heaters ar anywhere from $60-200 ea.

The barrel I had for free along with the misc. hose connections
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM

Question waste oil filteration

Can anyone tell me what the micron size is on the 93 first gen fuel filters?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM

call ur local orielys or napa and give them the filter number they shud be able to tell you the mfg spec on ff micron. i know mine can
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't need $1,000 for a centrifuge set up. Source the parts yourself! I'm building mine for less than $300!
I don't run WMO in my diesel engines but had a 1956 IH dump truck I rarely used whose hydraulic system leaked like crazy.
Rather than go for an expensive fix I just used WMO in the 25 gallon tank.
Way I filtered the oil was to hang a 1" diameter white nylon rope between the WMO 5 gallon bucket to another bucket lower than it.
End of rope went to the bottom of the WMO bucket, up over the lip and ended a few inches below the empty bucket.
Took about a week for the dirty oil to wick down into the lower bucket but the oil looked brand new.
Definitely clean enough for what I wanted to do.
Changed for another $1 length of rope every five gallons.
Helps to pre-soak the rope.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM

I found out that the OEM style fuel filter is 7 micron. I thought it would be smaller then that. I'm using a 10 micron filter on my oil collection tank and a 2 micron (whole house water filter) on my 35 gal mix tank. I tried to use the jeans pant legs as pre filters to the mix tank but had them plug up after filtering about 5 gallons of 50/50 oil/fuel mix each. I have to find a much cleaner /better way of pre filtering. I guess the only way is to go to the centrifuge system. I am looking at the Pa Bio Systems site. Has anyone found any other system with less expensive parts? If you have found other parts and are able to list them please be specific as to the dealers, part numbers and prices. There is too much general information being tossed about with no numbers. this way others can follow up on where to get the needed equipment. OK I have to check out the E bay sites that iwhitne posted about. I dont buy much on E bay but every buck counts. Thanks.
Have fun,
buckshot
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM

I have been testing the use of the WMO. Used the 50/50 mix and found a lot of smoke. Some black but mostly blue. A large amount of blue at start up and the amount of blue smoke drops off a bit after the engine warms up. When out on the road under light load the amount of blue smoke is a red flag for being pulled over. I have since cut back again and again to the point that I am down to about 30% and still too much blue smoke. After reading the posts no one is saying much about blue smoke? If this is not a problem for others maybe I should be getting my injectors checked out? Your feedback would be helpful. Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a lot of blue smoke adding just a gallon of used synthetic motor oil to a full tank.
I got the impression synthetic doesn't burn well.
Perhaps there was some in your WMO.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM

i get a mix of blue and white depending on the oil I add. ive limited mine to a 3:4 ratio in the winter max and even at that when its first added and not thoroughly mixed with the diesel yet my lift pump DOES NOT like it. It will smoke in my XP with almost any measure of oil in the fuel. i have to do a head gasket on mine soon due to a slow external coolant leak so well see what the combustion chambers look like. i think i also have a burnt valve. i have also noticed the oil mix burns better w alot less smoke at higher rpm w load when the egts go up.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

I get blue smoke when i run the syn oil.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct, the flash point of sny oil is several times higher than dyno oil.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM

I have been getting used motor oil from a number of people. They are storing it in clean barrels I have supplied but I don't know if it is syn or not? This may be some of my smoke problem. I put in a 30% batch last week and was laying a smoke screen so thick I thought I would be pulled over all the way from north Ga. to Central Florida. I was traveling at night so I was somewhat under cover. I got home and pumped in straight fuel to dilute what was left of the mix. I have noticed a great deal of black also even with light amount of down pressure on the fuel. I plan on pulling the injectors out and getting them checked and adjusted in hopes of better spray pattern. The truck has about 260,000 so I think they need to be checked anyway.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM

try upping your turbo boost pressure. i have found this helpful in my oil burning endeavors. im running 38psi peak pressure from my wh1c