12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Who IS running a waste oil mix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah people used to smell me coming down the street :-).

Heres a picture of my latest oil filtration unit using a sock filter and a pool sand filtration unit cleaned out for storage of the old oil. Not pretty but free.

Who IS running a waste oil mix?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344127800.414026.jpg
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by truthfriend7
Yeah people used to smell me coming down the street :-).

Heres a picture of my latest oil filtration unit using a sock filter and a pool sand filtration unit cleaned out for storage of the old oil. Not pretty but free.

Attachment 39746
free aint bad..! I'm building something similar to the blue grass fuel system....http://bluegrassfuel.net/page4.php

I'm going to mount a 26 gallon poly tank in my truck with a 12v transfer pump to mix my wmo/diesel and transfer to stock tank. I will also have a IBC tote (330 gallons) with a 3/4hp 1" pump and 3 filters from 10 micron, 5, and 1 with a water block filter as well.

The secert is the sodium polyacrylate bead bag that will be put into my 26 gallon tank. This will pull out any remaining water, anti-freeze, and other nastys.

I have not started building yet because I just installed a fuel pressure gauge and found out I need a new lift pump (showing 6psi Idle and less under load)

I'm going to go with a Vulcan big line relocation kit and a holley black lable pump.

Once my fuel system is up and running I'm hoping to be able to run at least a 50% blend during summer months and 25% during winter. The 600 gallons of used hydro oil I get should be enough to last my at least a year... I might have some questions installing my new lift pump though!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm looking into using sodium ployacrylate to full out water from small (25 gallon) batches... I've ordered a small amount ($1.99) and will be doing some bench tests to see if it will pull out water, anti-freeze, and other nasty's like they claim

iwhitne,

How is this applied? A bead bag dropped in the wmo or is it put into a bag filter and used that way?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by gozapper
I'm looking into using sodium ployacrylate to full out water from small (25 gallon) batches... I've ordered a small amount ($1.99) and will be doing some bench tests to see if it will pull out water, anti-freeze, and other nasty's like they claim

iwhitne,

How is this applied? A bead bag dropped in the wmo or is it put into a bag filter and used that way?

The sodium polyacrylate comes in many forms.. mainly in a powder.. I was able to find it in bead form on ebay... search for water beads.... I know it may seem weird ordering water beads, but it just sodium polyacrylate...

I put 2 lbs in either a sock or panty hoes and drop in my small mix tank and fill it half way with used oil... I do this a few days before I need to fill up.. this gives it a chance to pull the nastys out... then I top off with diesel and use a 12v fuel pump to blend the mixture a few minutes before pumping into my stock tank... I filter my used oil before filling my truck mounted mix tank
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM

Thank you iwhitne,

Does it seem to work?

Tom
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM

as far as I know it works great! don't let blue grass fuel systems fool you! just buy some and save yourself the money!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Unless you guys are testing oil that already has water and other junk chemicals in it, I'd consider heating any mixture you concoct just like it would be heated in an engine. Just want to make sure you have an accurate test. One thing I learned is that you don't want to find out by running it in your truck. Try every possible way you can think of to get those extra chemicals to bond to the WMO. Then you'll feel confident if your tests work. This sounds pretty neat and much easier that my filter/heat/settle method. I hope it works.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by truthfriend7
. Then you'll feel confident if your tests work. This sounds pretty neat and much easier that my filter/heat/settle method. I hope it works.

There is still filtering involved. He's my set-up.

I have a 330 bulk tank that is used to collect all my waste oil.

On that tank I have a 3/4hp pump that circulates the oil thru 4 filters.
20/10/5/1 micron. The 20 micron filter also has a water block.

When I'm ready to fill up my truck he is what I do.

On my truck I have a 26 gallon poly tank that is used for dewatering and mixing with diesel. I fill it with what ever percentage of oil I want (i.e. 50%= 13 gallons of oil and 13g of diesel)

Once I fill the truck mounted tank with 12-13 gallons I throw in a bag of sodium polyacrylate bead and let it sit for a few hours or a day before I fill up. This pulls all the remaining water acids, ect out of the oil and traps it inside the beads.

When I'm ready to fill up I simply top off my mix tank with fresh diesel and use my 12v fuel pump to mix it a little before I transfer it into my tank!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by iwhitne
There is still filtering involved. He's my set-up.

I have a 330 bulk tank that is used to collect all my waste oil.

On that tank I have a 3/4hp pump that circulates the oil thru 4 filters.
20/10/5/1 micron. The 20 micron filter also has a water block.

Your setup sounds very good to me. The only things I'd do differently is instead of circulating your WMO, I'd pump it through the 20/10 filters directly into your poly tank for detoxing (seems like a good way to describe it ) and then put your mix through the 5/1 filters before it hits your truck tank. That way if there is anything residually left over from the beads, it will be caught in a final filter without getting into your stock tank. I freely admit I have no idea how these beads work and if there would be any tiny biproduct or residue left over. But in theory I alway like to filter my final mix (regardless of what it is) before it hits the truck. I'd be sure to have a good strainer in place for collecting your oil too (panty hose/blue jeans work well) as this will make your filters last much longer.

My dad uses a 2 micron filter and simple gravity to filter his fuel from the bed tank to the stock one. It takes time, but works well for him, and he's done that for years now.

Let me know how your setup works out.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM

iwhitne, Have used the beads on emulsified oil? Did it demulsify the oil?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gozapper
iwhitne, Have used the beads on emulsified oil? Did it demulsify the oil?

Thanks,
Tom
I have not tried it on emulsified oil....
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM

check your fuel lines I had the same problems once.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM

wmo filtration

iwhitne,
I have been following this thread with much interest. I am going to put together a 26 or 35 gal mix tank like you are using. My question is why cant we use a whole house water filter housing and filter which is available in 20,10,5,and 2 micron. I was in Lowe's yesterday and was scoping out these filter units. Please explain the difference between water filter microns and oil filter microns? thanks for your time.
Have fun,
buckshot
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by buckshot
iwhitne,
I have been following this thread with much interest. I am going to put together a 26 or 35 gal mix tank like you are using. My question is why cant we use a whole house water filter housing and filter which is available in 20,10,5,and 2 micron. I was in Lowe's yesterday and was scoping out these filter units. Please explain the difference between water filter microns and oil filter microns? thanks for your time.
Have fun,
buckshot
There is nothing wrong using a whole house filter set up. BUT.... changing the filter is messy, the filtering process is very slow.... and it is very hard to get all the water out without heat.

I'm currently building my wmo centrifuge that will heat the oil to 180 to remove the water and filter down to less than 1/2 micron.

I used the whole house set up, but was turned away after changing the filters and how much of a mess it was. Adding a drain plug to each filter would be a good tip to follow
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM

wmo filtration

Thanks for the idea on the drain in the whole house filter. I too am looking into the use of a centrifuge. It seems like the best way to go. After looking at Diesel Craft cost it made me continue to do more research until I found Pa Bio Systems in Duncannon, Pa. I still don't have the $1000.00 to purchase their centrifuge, barrel, pump system. I am going to try to get by with the home made 35 gal garden sprayer tank like the one Blue Grass Fuel uses. Thanks to your info on the thread I located the "magic Marbles". It looks like Blue Grass is using a Whole House water filter on their system? What do you think? I am trying to put some money aside to come up with enough to buy the centrifuge from Pa Bio. I am also looking for a good 55 gal barrel with a removable lid . Most of the barrels I find are the type that have the lids CUT out. I guess I can try to make a lid that I can slide off and on. I sure would be thankful if you could send me a drawing of your plumbing style on your centrifuge system. Any more further info you can share would be a great help.
Have fun,
buckshot

Quick Reply: Who IS running a waste oil mix?