12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trans update for cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans update for cooler lines

I have a 95 auto. Mine has the plastic &quot;push on&quot; fittings for the tranny cooler lines. I was told that Dodge may have had a recall or TSB to update the lines with metal screw on type fittings because the plastic ones can melt under high temperature (one of mine is partially gone).<br><br>Has anyone else experienced or heard of this? Is there an update??? ???
Old 10-17-2002, 02:16 AM

Re:Trans update for cooler lines

The recall was for the v-10 gassers. I know, we got the shaft on this recall. The plastic junk can do a lot of tranny damage when they give way. I replaced all lines and fittings with the updated parts.<br><br>Jerry
Old 10-17-2002, 04:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I swapped mine out with the newer style line that has the temperature manifold in it for the tranny temp gauge. Gets that gauge reading the temp coming out of tranny before it mixes with the cool fluid and gives you a false reading. Cost a few bucks but better to get rid of those nasty quick connects anyway.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input. Checked with the dealer (Steeler) this AM and discovered the lines with fittings are $400. Ouch!<br><br>I don't think you can buy them anywhere else. :-[
Old 10-17-2002, 03:23 PM

Replace those old things with Aeroquip stuff and forget about it for a long time. Moroso sells an inexpensive Y block that I used for the temp sensor, but black pipe T for a dollar would accomplish the same!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:47 PM

64-70, I believe Top is referring to the upgraded cooler line for the 94 &amp; 95 models that has the tranny temp sensor port. <br>That is the line I also used. In 96 the sensor was placed inside the tranny. Using the 94-95 line is ideal for 47RE trannys due to the built in sensor port.<br><br>Jerry
Old 10-22-2002, 02:42 AM

Not true, according to this: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/97V084.htm<br>A NHTSA safety recall is in effect for the cooler lines- THEY'RE A FIRE HAZZARD! <br><br>Also according to the above, there hasn't been any schedule to put this out by Dodge yet, but you should be able to make an appointment with your dealer to have it done.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:07 AM

VinDiesel, I've been aware of the NHTSA item for about a year. I was told at two different dealerships that it was for the gassers, plus seeing it discussed on another site. Wouldn't hurt for me to do a follow-up and see how the issue is now being covered. It sure would be nice to get a refund for the related parts purchased.<br><br>Thanks ...<br><br>Jerry
Old 10-22-2002, 11:14 AM

Jerry,<br><br>I'm reading: <br>&quot;Year: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 <br>Make: DODGE TRUCK <br>Model: RAM&quot;<br><br>That should pretty much cover them all. <br>I would like to see them explain how the diesel (with it's huge amount of torque) is likely to produce lower trans temps.<br>I'd check to see if I could find another dealer that didn't give you the run around (yeah, I know, that's likely ). Then I think you should call the phone #s for Chrysler and NHTSA. It's truly amazing how much more a business will try to please you when they have either their bosses or a government agency (or best case, both) breathing down their necks! ;D<br><br>Just as a side note- Just after buying my truck earlier this year, I took it in to my local &quot;dealer&quot; for the recalls. They supposedly did the throttle cable, ignition wiring, head lamp switch &amp; wiring, and vacuum check valve. I'm going to have to look at it closely, as I found a very sloppy electrical connection under the dash when installing my gauges. <br>As of yet, I haven't seen the relay that was supposed to be added for the blower motor as part of the ignition wiring. I'm thinking they didn't do it. Also, with the vacuum check valve, there is supposed to be a new 3/8&quot; line in the parts pack, they didn't even put it on, let alone inspect/replace any of the vacuum operated devices. I have a bit more brake pedal travel than one would expect, and a second pump firms it up. I'm wondering if my brake booster diaphragm is getting weak.<br>Anyway, I'm going to have to check these items closely and possibly try to see about getting them redone.<br><br>Good luck to us all,<br>Vin
Old 10-22-2002, 06:52 PM

Vin, by your signature I see you're also running a 47RE tranny.<br>Do you have the upgraded lines and fittings or is it a future project? Has the recall been or will be involved with your tranny lines and fittings? <br><br>Jerry<br><br><br>
Old 10-22-2002, 11:48 PM

I haven't even looked to see if I still have the plastic fittings or not. If I do, I'll probably try to get rid of them. My first step will be to try to find a dealer with a better service department. I think the local bunch only did a half a$$ job on the other recalls- I'm going to look at that closely. Then I'll be calling the Chrysler complaint line and NHTSA.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:49 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Look close I had troubles because the dealer did my recall but I found out later all he did was bill DC for it. That was on the ignition wiring recall, I got it done and walked away with a check in hand after I showed service manager pics I took of unaltered wiring harness i was going to send to DC and sue the dealer. I hate to say it but if you take it in sit on the job and watch every step or you won't get it right.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two days after buying my truck, the first time my wife drove it, the clip that holds the cooler line to the heat exchanger broke and dumped tranny fluid everywhere. She made it home... barely.<br><br>I took it up to Dodge after I found the recall/TSB that is in question.<br>I was told by my local Dodge dealer in town, as well as the one thats just south of us, that the TSB is for all Dodge trucks, but the recall was ONLY for the gassers.<br><br>The parts counter also had the new (replacement) lines in stock at the price of $700.00!<br><br>In short, I placed what was left of the broken clip, (Yes, part of the clip stayed) back on. I then wrapped a whose clamp around the entire fitting. This held the broken clip in place. <br>I then tightened the hose clamp to the point where the fitting started to deform under the squeeze of the hose clamp.<br>It deformed just enough that the tranny cooler line would have a hard time &quot;falling&quot; out if the hose clamp were to loosen.<br><br>I now have another thread in this same forum inquiring about the effeciency of the &quot;Heat Exchanger&quot;. I may do away with the heat exchanger and run new tranny cooler lines to an aftermarket tranny cooler. I will use the newer lines that screw on instead of the &quot;Quick Connect&quot; style.<br><br>Rich<br><br>
Old 10-23-2002, 06:58 PM

Dealer told me tjhat the recall was for gassers. I replaced the plastic part of the fitting with a high quality O-ring. Get the right size, push up hard on the line and install the clip. Mine has worked very well with no leaks or even seepage.<br>george