12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

trans lines/fuel lines/kdp

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans lines/fuel lines/kdp

after reading many posts, am I correct in thinking
1) all transmission lines with the older plastic connectors must be replaced asap, because a failer will happen sooner or later. A local dealer quoted me over $1000, so I think I may need advice because.. how hard could it be?
2) I don't think I have any fuel leaks yet, but the hairline cracks may be there. Sounds like using USCG Diesel lines are what I should use. Opinions?
3) The KDP repair should also be done, as I don't want a problem I can avoid. This seems as if it is more involved, but an average person could do this? I have seen the KDP repair kit from TST, and that is what I am thinking. Advice
Sure have learned alot, and I like my truck.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM

Hmm, I don't think the plastic lines are really that bad but once they start dripping at all they need to be replaced ASAP. I know at least for the side going out to the cooler there is another line that has a built in fitting for a temperature gauge, the Dodge part number is 5011244. I'm thinking it is around $90.

Any diesel rated hose is fine, USCG diesel rated is even better though.

I'm lazy, I'd rather take the chance and use the drill and bolt kit rather than pulling that stuff off to tab it. Granted there is always a chance that once you drill it you'll have to pull the cover off to pound it back in, but I'd be willing to take the chance unless something indicated a problem already. I don't think tabbing is all that hard, just a lot more time consuming.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 PM

I know alot of guys use hydraulic lines to repair the tranny lines. This is what I did and it works great. I have a new line waiting to be put in when i get time. If you're going to replace the tranny line i know there is one that has a T built into it to make hooking up a tranny temp guage really really easy. I know someone on DTR has the part number for this. Maybe they will chime in
Old 02-10-2005, 07:39 PM

OOops some beat me to the post.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Those funky plastic clips are well known to fail, drain all the fluid and toast the tranny, do something. The switch over is easy, parts list here http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio..._couplings.htm

Since you are in WA join up with NW Bombers> http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php

A great bunch of guys that will go out of their way to help. Go to one of their parties and you may not have to lift a wench to get your truck taken care of. They have a jig for the KDP.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM

I called a trans shop and they said I may need to only replace the fittings, not all the lines. Is this a good fix, or do I need to replace all the lines?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 PM

A tranny shop replaced 2 lines when they R&R'd the unit. I think they ran about $140.

Someone told me a recall kit is available that is less expesive than the 2 lines separate.

Don't forget to check the hose that connects the cooler lines to the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the engine below the turbo. I noticed mine is starting to weep.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Chapter President

...the KDP isn't that bad, a few hours to do - and WELL worth the piece of mind! I ran my truck for almost a year (after learning about the KDP) before I became too scared to turn the key, thinking the KDP was about to launch and wreak all manner of Havoc; Get the parts from a Cummins shop in your area, make a pot of coffee and go for it! The only issue I had was the crappy seal starter provided with the seal kit - I ended up tearing the seal and having to tear the whole thing back apart a couple of weeks later.....

Note: My pin hadn't moved from the original installation....ut I've one less thing to worry about!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Chapter President

I had all 3 items go bad with my truck...first the tranny line disconnected on the freeway and dumped all the fluid on the highway and burnt up my tranny.... at the time of tranny replacement I upgraded my lines to the newer style they are spendy from the dealership I paided about 375.00 for the set but peace of mind was worth it

Then I used the jig to install the blocking screw to fix the KDP...it had backed out a little but I was able to move it back in enuff to install the blocking screw

I had a minor fuel leak and hard starting sometimes so I replaced my fuel lines the return line can be a problem to replace it just takes awhile
Old 02-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Sorry, but what is KDP...
Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 AM

CmminsBeast, do a search on that term "KDP" and get ready, Kevin