12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Timing pin plug issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing pin plug issues

Has anyone had the timing pin on the back-side of the accesory drive go AWAL? Our 97 did that to us Sunday. We took a 300 mile drive Sat and then drove to Phoenix from Tucson Sunday (about 90 miles). Luckly it happend at the end of the later trip.

We pulled in the driveway and by the time I got to the passenger side of the truck there was a 5 inch puddle under the frontend. I thought the KDP got us, but it was all on the back side. The wetest point I could SEE was inbetween the Vac pump and PS pump. I assumed the Vac ate it. Oil was a little over half way to the add mark (on the bad side of it). I drove to the house of evil capitalism (Wally World) and it took a quart and a half to get to the add mark. Took it the 7 miles to our shop and parked it till today.

I cleaned it with the pressure washer this morning and ran it but couldn't make it leak. I had my wife run it up to 1500 and that worked. It started puking out the half inch hole that had been vacated by the pin. The only thing that holds it in is the o-ring tension and a star washer that presses in. We spent about 5 hours trying to get it to press in right and stay in. We also tried to take the entire stand-off out to do it on the bench. Which was next to impossible because of the lack of room between the P-7100 and the Vac pump and the block (on the inside bolt).

The final fix was making an S-shaped tab with a slot at 90 degrees for the pin and one longitudinal for the outer bolt. Slipped it on the bolt and rotated into place. No more leaks. Except for the line I missed reattaching to Vac pump that we took off for access. Lost a quart of the brand new oil I just put in (service while I was under her).

I looked at the other three B-models sitting in the yard today and none looked fun to get to. The former Ryder truck was the best. They have a small PS pump with remote res. under the P-7100. The other two have VE with air compressors and have MUCH less access. All of them have multiples more miles and no issues. No one we know of has had this problem before.

Randy
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm.
When I set my timing I thought I would check to see if it lined up and when I pulled it out it came right out! So I just jammed it back in and thought to myself I cant believe this thing dosent just fall out? I guess it can
Something to keep a eye one thanks for the heads up