12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

No power to fuel shutdown solenoid

Old 06-27-2003, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power to fuel shutdown solenoid

This is a continuation of Truck won't start. You have given me some help so far so good. Have checked the electrical connection to fuel shutdown solenoid and found power on 1 side and ground on the opposite side with switch turned on. Center wire has no power at any time with ign switch on or off or in the cranking position. Checked my buddies truck and this wire has power when starter is engaged. It pulls the shutdown solenoid in when starter is engaged. Mine does not but will open with switch on if it is manually opened. The engine can then be started and will run until the ign is switched off. There is power at the starter and a wire leaving the starter has power when starter is engaged. But nothing at the wire harness connection next to the fuel shutoff solenoid. Where is the relay that controls this function? If you know please help. I think I am on the right track here.<br><br>Denny
Old 06-28-2003, 01:13 AM

Re:No power to fuel shutdown solenoid

I was having the exact same problem. Mine was the fusable wire coming from the battery. However after replacing several fuses and trying track down the problem I bypassed the fuel shut off solinoid all together. I had a shop put in a manual lever and all is well. It works great so far.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:54 AM

The relay is on the firewall just to the driverside of the cab.<br>Its held on by one 10mm metalscrew. The solenoid relay is the bigger of the two, take it out of the housing and check the contacts. If you need some help let me know.<br><br>Also check the blue wire on the drivers side battery pos. terminal. I was having starting probs for 2 months that I replaced the whole relay ($40) and was getting ready to replace my solenoid ($150-Piers) and found out about the blue wire on TDR. Its the fuseable link to the shutoff solenoid relay (power's it) mine was corroded really bad....put a new conector on it and its been fine since then.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:57 PM

You guys nailed it partialy the blue wire is smoked so replace it with some blue wire of my own. New terminal and all and put it back together and still no start so maybe the fuseable link is also gone since it smoked the wire. Also while checking I found the battery cable terminal loose as well which could have lead to the increased resistance and the smoked wire. Do you know what size fuseable link I need. I will check my Chilton's manual and see if it has any info. I need to order from Dodge or somewhere a manual which is specific to my truck. Any ideas or sources?
Old 06-28-2003, 08:33 PM

I got the same problem myself and i chaecked the blue wire and its tight. It started today but not until several trys.