12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

need to set timing in CO

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need to set timing in CO

Now that I've managed to sell my 1500 Ram, I now have a high mileage '98 QC 12v 5-speed ... several things are pointing to the timing being a little off, and so I need to set it-

But I'm not sure I want to shell out the big $$$ for the miller kit-

Anyone have a timing kit in Colorado that could be borrowed, rented, maybe a timing/bomb party? (I have no problems doing the work, just don't know if I need to own the tools)

Or does someone know a good Diesel shop around Colorado Springs/Pueblo/Canon City that could set the timing to Like 15.5*
for a reasonable price? (I'd rather do it myself, to learn more- have done all my own maintenance, but my 1st Diesel)

Thanks in advance

Gary
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 PM

I have a shop in howard and I have the tools I would rent you the tools as long as you done it at my shop and I would supervise what you are doing PM me and maybe we can get together and work something out. Weekdays work best
Old 03-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi
I'm in the same situation, need to check my timing but don't have the experience or tools. Do you want some company? When do you want to do this?

I don't need to crash your party, just say no.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:02 PM

I don't have any issues with making a party out of it- but we wouldn't want to swarm boughtadodge's shop....

and now I have to work on the wife's suburban- blew the intake manifold gasket today...not that I'm in a hurry to adjust my timing- just think it needs to be done...

Howard isn't too far from me, but it's a trek from Denver... about 3+ hour drive...

I have a dial indicator, but there's some special tools you need (like the socket to remove the #1 delivery valve, and the puller for the pump gear) the spx miller set is like $240...

it's a similar cost to get a gear puller & a diesel timing light adaptor which is great if you just want to know where your timing is- can be used with a gear puller & degree wheel to change timing...
Old 03-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Hey Boughtadodge, what is a boost fooler? Also, about how long does it take to reset the timing? And would I need any parts, or gaskets for this job? I go through Howard now and then, was wondering if I could stop by sometime and take alook at your gauges.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Marv the boost fooler is a basically a pop off valve that I made myself I can set it to release at any boost pressure that I wish(up to the max the turbo will put out). Marv you are welcom to stop at anytime I am there during the week let me know when your comeing through and I will give you directions not hard to find just off highway 50 a little. Wher are you located. It usually does not take over three hours probably less but sometimes things take longer. Let me know would be nice to meet some locals that want to up their power seems like most people around hear are afraid they are going to break something.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:15 PM

Thanks, Boughtadodge for the reply. I live in Gunnison, and have a brother that we like to visit in Penrose. most of the time we come through on weekends, but would like to stop by sometime when you are there. I am interested in boosting power, my problem is my limmited budget,(raising 3 kids). I enjoy learning about this amazing cummins engine. it seems there are so many possibilities. I am hoping to get some gauges soon, but don't know which I like. Anyway, maybee I can get over there on a weekday sometime. By the way, do you like your isspro gauges and the A pillar mount?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:25 PM

Marv I got the gauges from piers and they were real reasonable on price I do like them. I was just over to gene taylors about a couple of weeks ago the got the best price on rifle powder I have found. I am usually around on weekends let me know when you are comeing through and well get together. With the truck you got there is quite a bit of free power but you need gauges first. Matt
Old 03-11-2004, 10:14 PM

hello Matt, ya that gene taylors is a good place. I don't know right now when I could make it. We will be coming thru this weekend, but don't expect to have any spare time. It will probably be late at night. Mabee next week, I will have some vacation time. Being new to all this I don't know to get a hold of you other than posting here. Thanks again Matt.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Marv check your personal messages. Matt
Old 03-18-2004, 12:43 AM

Thanks Matt, I just had a revolting development with my tax return, its going to be a while before I caan even travel that far. I will call when I can get over there, Thanks again, Marv.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by boughtadodge
I have a shop in howard and I have the tools I would rent you the tools as long as you done it at my shop and I would supervise what you are doing PM me and maybe we can get together and work something out. Weekdays work best
Matt,

I'm wondering if you still do timing adjustments at your shop and if you do would mind getting something set up to do mine. I'd like to advance my timing to 16 degrees before I put 191DV's and 370's in so if you can help PM me. By the way I live down south by Trinidad so I don't think I'm to far away from you...Let me know..

Thanks a bunch,
Joe