12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

lowering engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowering engine noise

I have 95 stock 12 valve that i love. The problem I have is that the new job I have takes me through a retirement village early in the morning and i am worried about the noise. I know to keep the rpms low but was wondering if there is anything mechanical I can do.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:23 AM

Engine noise or Exhaust noise? If its exhaust noise and you got it straight piped you'll have to put a muffler on it. There isn't much you can do about engine noise, maybe adjust valves but that isn't going to help much.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
These folks make a thermal blanket that helps a little.
I've seen most that have used them say they saw the greatest reduction from the oil pan and valve cover blankets.
The one that fits under the hood surface was pretty much a waste of $$$ for the minimal amount of noise reduction.

http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge_ram.htm

I'd just stay off the throttle, and deal with it if the subject comes up.
After all, I'm sure the garbage trucks, and delivery trucks driving through the same neighborhoods are louder than yours.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:36 AM

Shovelhead mentioned the sheetmetal oilpan radiates considerable noise. I've heard this before somewhere...
I wonder if someone were to have his oilpan heavily coated in spray-on urethane bed-liner material, would it damp the radiated diesel noise down?
It would be a bear to get it sprayed on in-place and get it right! What a MESS! Especially if the yayhoo got carried away under there...
But if you had it off of the engine for whatever reason,....
(Hoss might try spraying some concrete on his)

As for the engine fuel knock noise, I understand that BioDiesel is quieter too.. I haven't tried REAL bio yet, as this backwards region doesn't even know what it is!
But during the Katrina price gouge, I did try running diluted $3.05/gallon Sam's Club veggie fryer oil and it became noticeably quieter when it made it up to the engine.

K.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the help,I am thinking of getting the oil pan cover and trying a little bd. Most of the noise from these engines are coming from under the engine or around the wheels. If anyone is using the pan cover on a 12v let me know how it works.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 AM

Bio will definately quiet the motor some.

Now that winter is over here in Texas, had a 1/4 tank and just filled up w/ B100.

With the B75 (approx) - it's running quieter, smoother, and smells much better (the exhaust )
Old 03-05-2006, 01:22 PM

A fair amount of noise comes from the injection pump as well. I like the bed liner to the oil pan idea. I wonder if you could brush it on or use one of those little paint rollers you get at home depot for painting accents and stuff on walls.

Not sure about insulation. I think someone did that here or on the TDR, and reported a significant temperature increase, but that was a while ago, and I'm not sure what was insulated. I have also read somewhere about the use of lead sheets to cut down on the noise.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CZSteve
Bio will definately quiet the motor some.

Now that winter is over here in Texas, had a 1/4 tank and just filled up w/ B100.

With the B75 (approx) - it's running quieter, smoother, and smells much better (the exhaust )
Is there any bio sold in the San Antonio area? I'll be up there next weekend and I may load up on some.
I noticed running the SVO/diesel blend was a lot quieter while cold than with straight #2.
Yeah, the SVO smell was noticeably "unique". Last fall, (just before it actually cooled off some) I ran a tank of diluted soy fryer oil, and my kids noticed the smell and said "we smell popcorn!"... I said it was coming from my truck and they all piled out and all 3 had their noses down there by the exhaust pipe... I missed a really choice Kodak moment...
K.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Dang! I looked at the link above with the sound insulating blankets. Whew they proud of 'em! It'd be great to have but sure would be afraid of all that pent up heat ! Think it would damage anything ? Also around the pump it might cause some kind of vapor lock couldn't it ? Any I always heard you dont want hot fuel.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:14 AM

how hard would it be to get the oil pan off to put some bedliner on it? do you guys think it would help that much considering there is usually a few gallons of oil in there dampening sound anyways?