12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

KDP

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KDP

About how many miles would the KDP be starting to move out? Does it happen on almost all the trucks or just a certain number? Thanks SD03
Old 03-19-2003, 10:42 AM

Re:KDP

Most seem to happen around the 100,000 mile mark. Like anything like this, it is really a "bell curve". There is always some that happen at very low mileage, like 20,000 km and some up around 300,000 + miles. There was a poll on "that other Dodge diesel site", and it indicated almost 15% failure rate so it is a very serious fault, that neither Cummins or Dodge(DC) have taken responsibility for. Too bad "safety" was not involved ,as those faults are always corrected quickly and without question. This problem costs BIG labour $$ to fix. By the way, that poll on the other site suddenly "disappeared without explanation" about 2 months ago, which makes you wonder about the background conversations (and legal threats) with DC.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:45 AM

K thanks for the help. My friend and I are going to check it out when i get my 12v.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember though, that 15% failure rate is only counting people who frequent that website, or friends of friends.<br><br>If you figure only 30% of all the Cummins owners know of that website, that 15% goes way down.<br><br>And, most of the website surfers are turning up their trucks, which might contribute a bit to the KDP coming out.<br><br>I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, just not the huge problem it is made out to be.<br><br>There are plenty owners out there that have no idea it even exists and haven't had a problem with it.<br><br>It's something to be aware of, but not something worth losing sleep over.<br>Kind of like the lift pumps in the 24 valve engines.<br>Hundreds of thousands of them never have a problem, but you sure hear of the few hundred or thousand that do.<br><br>My .02<br><br>phox
Old 03-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trucks at the shop as I type this getting the KDP tabed.<br><br>I go to pick it up in about an hour. (From the time I make this post).<br><br>Sure is good to know that its taken care of.<br><br>Rich.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:07 PM

Yep, definite bell curve. Ususally higher mileage, but I did one a couple of weeks ago with 40K on it and it was out about 3/8ths of an inch.<br><br>Bottom line. Fix it before it fixes you!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres one for you. <br>As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had my truck in the shop to get the pin tabbed.<br>Well, after getting the gear case off, we could see that the pin had moved no more than 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch. <br>The pin was tapped securely in place and the Cummins tab was installed to keep it there.<br><br>So, I figured I just paid $400.00 for the security of knowing that it will never fall out.<br>Works for me. $$$ well spent!<br><br>Rich
Old 03-20-2003, 05:42 PM

I only just tabbed mine last week and it was out 3/16&quot; at most. I was surprised how easily it tapped back in and that the adjacent housing bolt was so loose. Mileage was only 74,000 km which is about 46,000 miles. I kind of think it has more to do with extent and frequency of heating cooling cycles since the housing is aluminum, block is cast iron and the pin is hardened steel - different coefficients of expansion. I do not know how tight the fit is with the aluminum housing though. I loctited the pin and tabbed it with loctite on the bolt also. I feel more confident taking it on the logging roads up in the bush now.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:18 PM

Just tabed mine today and it was out a 1/4 inch. my truck has 230,000 on it
Old 05-06-2003, 09:42 PM

I did mine a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy working on this truck is. It was very straight forward. making a functional tab was the most difficult part.<br>My pin was actually sort of recessed, still. 123,000 miles.<br>Truck is running like a top, knock on wood.<br>I replaced my muffler and tail pipe. Rip Rook did me solid. Great fellow to work with.<br>No complaints with this truck.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:47 PM

OK, I have 208,000 miles on my truck and have not had this problem. I hit bumps like crazy(in NYC) and average 70-75 MPH on highway. However, I really want to look at it though to make sure(Just in case). My mechanic just had the front engine cover off awhile back to fix an oil leak (seal). He said every bolt was tight, but I don't know if the KDp was checked.<br><br>Now hear me out; I am not a mechanic. In fact never did any big job, but love my tools. I change the oil and greese the joints, and stuff like that.<br><br>Can I look at this myself? Is there any way someone can give me a detailed instruction on how to look for this? I know I take off fan hub and all that stuff. <br><br>The thing I'm worried about is putting everything back together after.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

Now hear me out; I am not a mechanic. In fact never did any big job, but love my tools. I change the oil and greese the joints, and stuff like that.<br>Can I look at this myself? Is there any way someone can give me a detailed instruction on how to look for this? I know I take off fan hub and all that stuff. <br>The thing I'm worried about is putting everything back together after.
<br><br>There are plenty of instructions and diagrams on this and other web sources to help you along. If you do deciede to try it, just go slow, pay attention to how you took things apart, then put it back together the same way. If you need to lay things out in the order that you took them off and make notes. Good luck
Old 07-19-2003, 05:14 PM

ok, I'll do my best. I have some other help also.<br><br><br>Thank you!!!