12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

HX60turbo fit my 12V?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HX60turbo fit my 12V?

I need to change my turbo on my 97 12v 5.9. I've been searching everywhere and affordability is my main concern. Malfunctions are never timely.
Are there options as to which Holset model I can use or do I need another HX35? They look about the same, wheel diameters may be different but does that matter? I just wanna bolt something on to make it go. Like to upgrade someday in the future. And does it matter if i've got an auto or a stick?

Thanks to all who helped me in the HELP section this week. Thought of rebuilding the thing but if it needs machining work I can't.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

I think the HX60 would be too big and take forever to spool. Unless it is a full time sled puller I would stay away. The biggest you would want to go would be a HX50. IMHO I woul keep the 35 and put in some HX40 parts. May guys in here do that including myself. A hybrid is a good and cheap way to go. you would have to take the turbo off to add the parts but it is an easy unbolt, bolt operation. Do a search on Hybrid turbos to find some good combonations.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Thanks, Boss.
That sounds like a great idea. I would love to rebuild it and add better parts to make it a hybrid. I've read a lot about that. I can get the rebuild kit for a 35 easy so I can have all the little stuff. But I can't for the life of me find new wheels or shaft (WHERE???!!!). As the rebuild is the cheap way to go, I'm willing to go there, but lots of people have told me I can't do it without a specialized machine shop so I can balance the bearings and shaft and compressor wheel nut.
Would you recommend I try it? I can rebuild a Holley or Carter 4BBL, this can't be a lot more complicated can it? Also, does the balancing process take place with the whole thing put together or while it is apart? Might know a machinist who can help with that part.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Search on High tech Turbo. They have a Hybrid kit for about $200. If you get a stage 3 kit, you will have to do some minor machining to the center section for the wheel to fit. Other than that, it's a bolt on procedure. Ask them about balancing too - you'll find most who install the kit don't do it (me included).
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Ya mine was built before i bought the truck. I can see them needing presses and maybe machining it a bit to fit a bigger impellar. Any diesel shop should be able to do all of this. If there is a diesel shop near by the will help you with the hard stuff. A turbo has much less small parts than a carb so it wont be much more dificult just make sure you know what you are doing. One wrong thing and you turbo can gernade and take the engine with it.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Exclamation

I talked to the folks at HTT, real nice and extremely helpful. However, I got to checking on some additional parts and cracking into my HX35 some and discovered that I need a new shaft/turbine wheel assy. too. and God knows what I'd get into during the rebuild/upgrade.
Good news is I've found a few different turbos on a popular auction website, which leads me back to the title of this thread. I understand that the HX60 may be too big for my stock 5.9 with no real performance mods.
What I really need to know right now is what about an holset H1E?
Guy selling it says it was from a 5.9 but I don't know what year model.
If anyone could tell me exactly which turbos will and won't work on a '97 5.9?

Thanks again...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Unhappy

I guess the main thing is - WILL IT BOLT UP? I'm about to buy it not knowing if it'll work or not and if it does is it an upgrade or downgrade to my HX35.

Anybody know cause Holset website unhelpful.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

If you can spool a 60 as a single You should put a hybrid on top of that 60 and go play!!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BIGREDTRUCK
What I really need to know right now is what about an holset H1E?
Guy selling it says it was from a 5.9 but I don't know what year model.
If anyone could tell me exactly which turbos will and won't work on a '97 5.9?

Thanks again...

From my understanding, the H1E is basically the old version of the HX-40. Obviously not the same thing but comparable in size. It should bolt up. Just make sure theres enough room for the housings and I'm sure that there is. The H1E did not come stock on any 5.9. I would say that your best bet would be a HX-35/40 hybrid. I hear very good things about them. Or you could just go with a straight up HX-40 if you can live with a little more lag. Pretty much anything holset that isn't HUGE, will bolt up.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Smile

thanks...
that has made my decision easier.
i'm searching now to see how the various holset models compare performance-wise so I know what to expect.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM

Just remember that the bigger you go: you will have more lag and need more fuel to spool it. Also, if you get an HX-40, the exhaust outlet on the turbo goes to 4 inch so you'll have to change your exhaust downpipe. The 35/40 hybrid has the stock 3 inch outlet so no exhaust change should be needed. Just a reminder
Old 03-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

I will have to differ with the last post. The H1E is closer to a HX-35. It should run fine on your 97. You will want to use your exhaust housing because the older ones were larger probably an 18 or a 21cm It will be laggy with the older housing. Your truck probably has a 12cm2 exhaust housing on it. It will bolt right up. They can be a pain to get apart. 4 Bolts and some little brackets are all that holds them together, just becarefull to pull it apart straight so you dont bend the turbine fins.. FWIW the H2 series of turbos is the older style HX 40 basically....
Old 03-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by hotmopr
I will have to differ with the last post. The H1E is closer to a HX-35. It should run fine on your 97. You will want to use your exhaust housing because the older ones were larger probably an 18 or a 21cm It will be laggy with the older housing. Your truck probably has a 12cm2 exhaust housing on it. It will bolt right up. They can be a pain to get apart. 4 Bolts and some little brackets are all that holds them together, just becarefull to pull it apart straight so you dont bend the turbine fins.. FWIW the H2 series of turbos is the older style HX 40 basically....

Correction (sorry not trying to be a d*ck , you may be right about the H2 series) but, the HX40 is the predecessor to the H1E. And, the HX35 is the predecesser to the H1C. I think you just got your letters mixed. And if you upgrade to the HX40, say good-bye to your 12cm housing from ur stock turbo. It wont fit.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 AM

Didn't wind up getting the H1E afterall. Last second auction duel w/ some chick from out west. She won it w/ 4 seconds left. Got it for like $330 I think. I hate auctions. Turns out darn thing was brand new, never installed.
Back to the drawing board and looking for another used turbo. Any turbo. I just want to drive truck and make some $ to get a good turbo.
Been looking everywhere. One thing I've learned is if you can find a good deal on one it'll be gone before you know it!

Thanks for all your help you guys. Even if I have to make some housing/ exhaust mods. at this point I don't care I just need to make it go!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:10 PM
JKM

Have you tried looking in the classifieds here? there is just about always an HX35 kicking around in there.