12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Any CO residents?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any CO residents?

i just moved from VA to CO. VA doesn't have any emissions inspections, but CO does. my question is about the requirements for my exhaust. i passed the emissions inspection on thursday with cat but w/o muffler (truck was that way when i bought it in Feb) though the tech led me to believe i really do need the muffler to be 100% in compliance.<br><br>i'm looking into a new exhaust b/c i think my cat is at least partially clogged and i want to put a muffler back on...call me old if you want, but i just don't like how loud it is now. :P i'm thinking clogged cat b/c the tech said the truck was down 30-40 hp after putting it on the dyno to check the emissions. i know the timing is off, but i don't think a timing adjustment will gain me that kind of power.<br><br>anyway, the aftermarket exhaust systems i've seen don't include a cat. is everyone running without them, or are those using the aftermarket systems just in areas that don't require emissions testing? ???<br><br>also, where is the best place to get an aftermarket cat, preferrably a hi-flow cat (if they make 'em for diesel)?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 PM

Re:Any CO residents?

Dedar what part of colorado did you move to? I am near canon city I think it depends on where you are living in colorado because I do not need the emission sticker here. I have a dead cat with just it's body left in the truck with a turbo muffler If you want an original muffler I still have mine if you would like.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:15 PM

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=16;threadid=15627;start=0#147172 date=1055122958]<br>Dedar what part of colorado did you move to? I am near canon city I think it depends on where you are living in colorado because I do not need the emission sticker here. I have a dead cat with just it's body left in the truck with a turbo muffler If you want an original muffler I still have mine if you would like.<br>[/quote]<br><br>cumminsgetsome, thanks for the offer of your original muffler, but i think i'll probably go with a walker aftermarket. #21468 is a pretty good one for the cummins, from what i've read on this and the &quot;other&quot; site.<br><br>i'm near ft. collins which requires the basic emissions test. i wish i could just &quot;kill my cat&quot; and not worry about emissions but that's not a choice. so now i've got to figure out where to get an aftermarket cat so i don't have to pay a fortune to the dealer. <br><br>anyone know what happens if i get a cat made for a car? ???
Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM

I just cut mine out and hollowed it out and welded it back in that way it looks like it is still there but gone.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:31 PM

If you check the regs. about what weight a vehicle has to be that it must have a CAT you might find an answer to your questions? In CS if your weight is above 8800LBS you dont need a CAT&gt;<br><br>But you will get some heat from the emission guys who are not up on the regs.<br><br>GoodLuck