12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Air Conditioning Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Air Conditioning Info

AC efficiency was going down over a period of time. It them quit suddenly on drive home one day. I have read info on post by Redramnc, Aug 7th. Information was very useful.

I checked my clutch and it was not turning. I made a puller to get the clutch off and it was in two pieces. Now my question is why and how did it fail? Veh has 145,00 miles. The compressor can be turned by hand with the keyed part of the clutch so it is not frozen. The question is, is the compressor still good? Should I just change out the compressor or should I just do the clutch.
If I should do just the clutch where is the best place to locate one. All of the local stores just sell the compressor. The AC Source link in above post has a universal clutch but it is a 10 groove and mine is an 8 groove. Would that unit fit?
Also, with the engine not running and AC on should I get electro-magnetism from the coil or does it function with the engine running.

Right now I am leaning toward replacing the compressor which will include the accumulator to be within warranty. I was told by an AC company that if you have a poor cooling system, which I do, a leak somewhere, the compressor overheats and binds and thus the broken clutch plate. Sounds reasonable.

Any information and suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Air Conditioning Info

What year & model do you have. :-

ramguy
Old 08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
js

clutch will not engage if the freon pressure goes down and thecompresser will not run to be siezed up. i would change the clutch and go from there. if it is in two peices that should be the problem. i change the clutch on my heavy truck about every two years and never the compresser. i'm no a/c expert but thats my idea.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:16 PM

I had a non functioning system too on my 98 12v, the problem was no refrigerant in the system thus nothing for the system to pump/no pressure so the pressure switch prevents the AC clutch from engaging, all I had to do was take it to a shop have them recharge and pressure test it and presto Ice cold air. 8)
Old 08-19-2003, 07:27 PM

ramguy, sorry about no truck info I was going to update my profile but forgot. I just did it so it should appear with this post. This will be a test to see if I did it correctly.

All, I was going to check my freon but the broken clutch prevented me from getting that far as I have to have a running system to do the check. I believe my compressor is still good as it turns by hand. I was going to just replace the clutch but finding one has not been easy.

All the local shops: ABC Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA either have only the compressor or compressor is not available. I've tried a couple of online sites same thing. I called Sanden and got a tech help recording so I will try them again tomorrow. If someone can tell me where to locate a clutch I will appreciate it.

It sure has been horrible driving in this Texas heat with no AC. If I can't find a clutch, I'll be forced to change out the compressor which also involves changing the accumulator if I want to be within warranty.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:08 AM

ET RAM;
The jobber supply I deal with carries 4-seasons brand and only sells comp.assy. $298.00 reman or $344.00 new. I thought he might have clutch only. Sorry I couldn't help.

ramguy
Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 PM

Ramguy, thanks for the reply and the help. You got just what I got, no clutch but a complete assembly. Today, I tried again to locate a clutch but no luck. So tomorrow, I will order all the parts needed to replace the compressor. Looks like it will be about $425.00 with new parts. Hopefully I will installed it this weekend and be cool again.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:26 PM

ET RAM
there are several places to get clutches. Do a search on this site. I have posted the address of a supplier, and others have posted other sources in the same threads.
Alternatively, here's a link: http://www.acsource.com/subcatmfgpro...1=300&2=-1
george
Old 08-22-2003, 09:58 PM

Smokey, thanks for the reply. I saw that link to AC Source. I emailed them because their clutch is a 10 groove and mine is an 8 groove. I didn't know if it would work on mine. They never responded. Everywhere I searched, it was no clutch only complete compressor assembly only. I looked on the Turbo Diesel Register site and there was someone else with the same problem and he could not find a clutch either.

Anyway, it is all moot now as I have bought all the replacement items and plan to install them tomorrow. It sure will be good to have AC again and drive in comfort in this Texas heat. ET

Old 08-23-2003, 07:51 AM

No doubt about the Texas heat! I bought my clutch assembly through the dealer here in Ontario. My price was $350 CDN. That's about $200 USD.
good luck!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:25 PM

Smokey, I did check with my local Dodge dealer and they wanted $205.00 for a new clutch. I did not want to spend that kind of money not knowing the true condition of my compressor. For $480.00 I could have all new components except for the evaporator and the condenser. That is the route I went.I just spent a reasonable time looking for a clutch at a reasonable price. I then bit the bullet and went with a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and flushing liquid.

It could not have been a worst time for this failure as we were under a heat wave with heat advisories. I installed the parts yseterday and I am now COOL, COOL, COOL.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Banned

Glade you got it fixed. But I realy don't think at 145,000 miles the clutch failed pre-mature, I'm sure that is will into the expected life duty.