3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Poor Air Conditioning???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Air Conditioning???

My wife was out driving my new truck in the 100 degree heat yesterday and says the air conditioner seems to not be able to keep up with the heat. She's comparing it to our 93 GMC. Any other air conditioning comments?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:41 AM

I have the exact opposite problem. Going from my 1997 Chevy K1500 to my 2004.5 QC, I put the air on #2 or #3 speed when I get in the truck and within 3 minutes I have it back down to #1 and in 10 minutes, I either have to turn the air off or open a window to keep from getting too cold.

This is in Arizona and I don't get cold easily. My wife, who is cold blooded has to shut her vents to keep from freezing. Honestly, I am very impressed with the air conditioning. That tells me that your system may not be up to snuff.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:01 AM

Make sure that in that high heat you have the vents on recirculate otherwise you won't have a prayer of getting cool air. Mine is comfortable in Southeast PA
Jeff
Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 AM

I had the same problem and just got it fixed a couple of weeks ago!!!

It is a problem with the ECM (program) on the Calif. SO's....you have to go in for a reflash.

You might have the same problem with the HO???

Description of my problem below

Your A/C only works while you are moving. Get on the freeway and drive for 30 minutes and it works great. Get in stop and go traffic, your sweatn` it
Old 04-27-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a problem with the ECM (program) on the Calif. SO's....you have to go in for a reflash.

You might have the same problem with the HO???

Description of my problem below

Your A/C only works while you are moving. Get on the freeway and drive for 30 minutes and it works great. Get in stop and go traffic, your sweatn` it
I dunno. It was pretty freakin' hot here last night when I picked up my truck and I sure didn't notice it stop cooling while idling. But I'll keep my eye on it just the same. These are 50 state vehicles now except for the CARB sticker so it's unlikely that there's something special in the AC logic for Calif - but anything is possible.

Neil
Old 04-27-2004, 08:30 PM

I put the air on #2 or #3 speed when I get in the truck and within 3 minutes I have it back down to #1 and in 10 minutes, I either have to turn the air off or open a window to keep from getting too cold.
You can also moderate the temp by turning the temp **** toward the red - it doesn't have to stay on max cold.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Chapter President

I have this same problem, I think it may have to do with the windshield. I can not believe how hot this vehicle gets. VERY disappointed with the A/C!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 AM

Mine seems to work great. Most times it gets too cold and I move the temperature slider over to the red a bit. I agree these large windows add a ton of heat especially while it is parked.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:33 AM

A quality metal content window film on the side and back windows reduces the heat gain considerably.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:52 AM

I notice just the opposite as well. The AC in our new 04.5 is 10 times colder than the AC in our 2000 Durango. It cools down the cab within 2 miles--of course it's only been about 84 degrees at its highest. But even at that, my Durango would struggle to cool down.

I LOVE my new AC!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:54 AM

My A/C seems to work fine, I wonder if those of you who are experiencing problems with their A/C haqve tinted windows. It a lot less strain on the system to cool things from 95 degrees to 75 than to go from 110 to 75.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:00 AM

Squidward, 110*? As you know, try 160*. It's funny how all us Arizonans (Squidward, Me, TFeore, Ram04, etc.) jumped on this thread. The most beautiful truck in the world won't impress me if I am still sweating 5 minutes after I crank the air.

Just for reference, I do have tinted windows all the way around.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:50 AM

You may want to take it to the dealer. When I went to use mine for the first time and there is a leak somewhere. I took it in and they refilled it and added a dye that can be seen under a black light to find the leak. The odd thing is that it still works, so I wonder if it was ever full.

Nick
Old 04-28-2004, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the input

I'll let the dealer take a look at it. We were thinking maybe the Lojack guy screwed something up. We heard him pounding on the dash.

I need to get it to the dealer anyway. I ordered it with foglights and it came without foglights. Dealer looked and said "at least you weren't charged for them". But I still want them installed!

I'll ask about hte 70mph vibration and the idle smell while I'm there.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM

It's been plenty hot here this week (Burbank, CA). I find that once I get moving (even in some traffic) it gets cold rather quickly, say with in 5 minutes. I have been running the AC on recycle mode. I also tend to drive the first few minutes with all the windows down to get that hot air out more quickly.

-Sam

Quick Reply: Poor Air Conditioning???