Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

roofers needed, gots question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
roofers needed, gots question

Well last Thursday I came home from work a little early and went into all of the bedrooms as I had a gut feeling that something was wrong. It had rained over 2" in less than 12 hours that wednesday night and continued to rain all day thursday. I walked into my sons room and there it was, a waterfall and sagging drywall

The majority of the house is pitched roof but the bedrooms are flat "POS" roof. What materials are the best to repair the damage? I am looking at getting a buddy of mine who is a contractor out to give me a quote to make it a pitched roof so I don't have to worry about it again but might not be able to afford that right now.

I have been looking at http://www.armorpoxy.com/roof-coatin...of-commercial/

Anyone have experience with this stuff?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure of the product you linked to, but there is a similar product readily available. I've seen it a Wal-Mart in gal and 5 gal containers.

I had a similar problem on a pitched roof. Probably 4/12 and I was going to re-roof the house, but I needed to hold off for couple of months. It was leaking in one spot a little, but not bad, and rain was predicted for several upcoming days.

I bought 5 gal. of the product Wal-mart sells, and an 8" broom/brush to apply it with. I sweep the shingles clean, mopped a coating of the white stuff on an area of about 5' x 5' to more then cover the damaged area. I then took a couple of large white plastic trash bags and cut them them down one side and across the bottom. I laid the plastic over the coating I just applied. I then broomed another coating of material over the plastic and feathered the material past the plastic a few inches.

It rained within two hours of finishing that application.

Two months latter I was removing the shingles to re-roof. That patch of shingles, rubber goop, plastic trash bag and goop came off in one piece. It didn't want to separate as I pried it lose. I was impressed at its integrity. It's flexible, seals good, and remains in place.

During the waiting time I had no leaks.

Ugly, not the ideal solution, but water tight.

I could give a couple of ideas, but call your local roofing supply co. and visit with them, describing your situation. Roofing Supply, not you lumber yard, you'll probably get more specific help.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Chapter President

Thank you Cat! I am doing research online while at work (really don't want to be here right now) and going to home depot tonight to look at stuff too.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Get your temporary roofing at Home Depot but get the real replacement stuff from a roofing outfit. The quality of the stuff is tremendously different. The 30 lb felt from HD felt more like the 20 lb from the roofing outfit and the price isn't that much different.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Chapter President

thank you EQ. I am still trying to decide what to do. I can't do anything til insurance comes out to look on wednesday at 3. will let ya'll know
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Hey dude,

I'll do what I can, I am not at home so answers may be delayed, no cell service out here in the boonies!!!

Need to know some things.

1. Pitch of the roof, you said flat, but do you really mean a 1:12 or is it level? (man I hope not, they cal that a bird bath)

2. What is the current roofing material, and what is it's condition. I know that it is leaking but is it leaking because of bad flashing, an obvious area of damage, or general roof degradation?

3. You are thinking of changing the roof line. Is this a rather long term, or maybe something that will happen next spring? Do you need a quick fix (which generally aren't) or do you want it to last for a few years?

Th roofing system that you are looking at is a good system but if you put it over a worthless, rotting roof. Just give me the money and I'll come empty buckets for you. If your roof is in fairly good shape, and there is just one place of damage, that type of system is just fine. But yo better hurry, they don't apply well in the cold. And although they say revolutionary, they have been around for years. I was putting roofs like that on in california when I was 15 (25 years ago). Point is the technology is tested and has come a long way. We actually sprayed the roofing on, works really well. But they need some heat to cure.

HTH

Now about your drywall........
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Chapter President

I was looking into the spray roofs too. You do that too? COME ON DOWN! Drywall is finished. adjuster is coming out tomorrow @ 3 to have a look see. I got a friend who works for a good company here in town and he waived my deductible (YAHOOO!!!). The house was built in 53 so the roof (flat part) has a few pooling areas and I have always gone up and swept it off and shoveled snow in the winter. Learning lesson I am thinkin to NEVER BUY A FLAT ROOF HOUSE AGAIN!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM

You should probably tear off the old roof and start new, then spray the new roof coating on top of that. I would cover the whole roof in ice and water shield (rubber stuff with the glue on back), 30 lb felt over that, put down roll asphalt sheeting over the top of that, sweep, sweep, sweep, then spray on the membrane roof. Should last you 30 years.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Chris,
I'm no roofer but pretty handy with construction. If I were a little closer I'd help you redo the roof in a couple weekends! If there is anything I might be able to help with, you got my number!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Chapter President

Thanks buddy! I have a guy coming over that I know and he is going to hook me up! He needs some work done on his new dodge and I need a new roof. So with a few cases of brew and a weekend it will be done! RIGHT ON!!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Cbrahs---

I STRONGLY suggest you take steps to monitor/prevent/abate mold growth...here in sunny SoCal I have a cousin whose roof leaked from a settling foundation (bad footings on an addition) causing roofing separation; now she's spending her life's savings and her pension on repairs. She has since come down with infections that we're not sure whether they were caused by the mold, or not! Just my .02
Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Chapter President

I have had fans running since friday to dry things out. So far everything looks and feels dry. We are going to start tearing down sheet rock on 2 walls and inspect. If needed, I will get a company to come in and spray mold kill or something to prevent it. Thanks for the info Gadget!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I have had fans running since friday to dry things out. So far everything looks and feels dry. We are going to start tearing down sheet rock on 2 walls and inspect. If needed, I will get a company to come in and spray mold kill or something to prevent it. Thanks for the info Gadget!
Mold kill = bleach, 10% solution, pump sprayer, wait 24 hours, wipe with damp rag rinsed in a bucket of 5% bleach. kills everything. Good luck buddy, drink some beers for me!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would it be feasible to put a 4 or 6/12 pitch on it instead of just re roofing the problem area?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I have a couple fairly flat-topped dormers and went with this stuff. You could probably make up the recommended 3" in 12" pitch recommendation just using progressivly thick perlins over the top of your existing roof. Pretty easy to use and you can get it at Lowe's or Menard's.

http://www.ondura.com/reroofing.asp