Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Would You Do?

SO here is my situation... I used to have a 2000 Grand that I towed with for about 6 months. To help the old girl out I was running a WDH from draw-tite. Worked great and made the ride much safer...

Fast forward 6 months and I traded the Jeep in on a 2004 Dodge CTD 3500.. So now I am looking at my hitch situation. The Ram came with the trailer package and it says it is a Class IV hitch. I'd like to run the WDH for maximum safety since I already have it, but it is waaaay too short. It was set for the ride height of the Jeep and is about 4" too short to run a level trailer.

So I figure I have the following options:

1) Get a new shank for the WDH that will drop the ball down to the trailer. $100-$120 online search via Froogle.

2) Forget the WDH, sell it, and just run a drop ball off the Class IV hitch.

3) Raise the trailer coupling. (Spring-over, cut weld, ???)

4) Stroke of genius I have not thought of yet...

What should I do?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First off, welcome to DTR!........please fill in your sig!.....it helps everyone help you....

1) What are you towing and how much is the tongue weight?

2) SRW or DRW 3500?

Obviously you are already aware that your CTD will comfortably tow much more than what your GC would tow with a WD hitch.......I tow 7500 lbs with 800 lbs of tongue weight and don't bother with the WD hitch but when the slide-in goes in the back and I tow the trailer, I use the WD hitch - the truck tows much more comfortably.......This really depends on yor specific application as to if you should bother with using your WD hitch but if you do use it, get the proper drop shank - it is the easiest and safest way to get the proper hitch height.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 PM

1) I am towing a Jeep on a dual axle flat bed. With spare parts, stuff, etc.. The total weight on the hitch is around 8000 lbs....

2) SRW.

Nice specs on your CJ BTW...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by bpdp379
The total weight on the hitch is around 8000 lbs....
WHAT??? I sure hope not.

And, by the way, welcome. You hit on a good forum.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 PM

You mean the total trailer weight don't you??
Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM

Well sure, in a lateral sense. It is pulling 8000 lbs. Not the tongue weight!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

A fellow Jeeper!.........Thanks for the compliment.......specs on yours?..........There are several of us Jeep haulers here! ........IMO, you don't need a WD hitch but if you have a lot of weight in the bed when you are towing like I do, you may want the WD hitch..........If you run with the bed mostly empty while you are towing, I would suggest a set of good rear shocks (I use Rancho 9000's in the rear) and skip the WD hitch......if you can keep the tongue weight between 600 - 800lbs........
Old 02-04-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could run without a WDH but for $120, I'd buy it....

You have your $40K truck and your ??K Jeep (I know mine was $12K and I had dumped another $12K in the Jeep wheelin' black hole before I rolled it a few times) ... $120 for the added safety of not swaying and durability I think is an easy answer.

Now if you want to have some fun, sell your trailer and hitch, get a gooseneck trailer and gooseneck hitch and then start really enjoying towing... but that's another story.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 PM

I have a 99 TJ built for much different wheeling than you. Mildly built so far with a 4.5" short arm lift, 35" MTR's, truetracs F/R, 4.88's, HP D44 up front and a D44 in the rear. Dana 300 from a 84 CJ with LoMax 4-1 gears. Stock I-6 with AX-15 tranny.

It was built to be a daily driver. In the future, I am looking at a 4.7l Hemi swap, full lockers, an atlas, etc... One day.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:35 PM

To stay on topic though....

I guess I should just do the longer shank idea. I may not "need" it now, but Jeeps have taught me that things ALWAYS change...

Gooseneck with a 34 ft trailer would be nice for those two rig trips to Moab though...
Old 02-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
isnt the TJ frotn bumper to rear 12' or was it 15' front to rear and then 8' center of tire to center of tire.

anywaysi have ponderd and battled this over the years if you can back the lead vehicle on and stuff the spare tire between the uprights and then load the second nose forward you could probably get away with a 24' GN and two TJ's

As to your dilemma i would just get a solid shank with the proper drop rated for 10-12k lbs and run it over the WD hitchthought he WD is nice and stabilizes i ran for years with only a 8" drop solid shank 2 5/16 setup pulling 10k lbs+ and the amount of sway wasnt enough to complain about when compared to my old WD hitch and that same setup. i wasnt willing to spend the $$$ all over again to make it work between winter and summer tires and ride hieght variations
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Chapter President

You mean a 5.7 Hemi swap?......that will make your TJ stand on it's bumper!.......but kiss the D44 rear good bye! ........Sounds like a nice TJ.........I would try to swap in the 4.7, though.....even the 4.0 L will snap a 30 spline shaft with a locker in it.......you won't have as many drivetrain issues down the road with the 4.7.........My CJ started out as a daily driver 11 years ago and slowly but surely got out of hand - I still drive her on the street for a Sunday afternoon cruise but not too far......she is just a little too thirsty for my wallet!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have smog ****'s in your state? if not go find yourself an AMC 401, you'd be amazed at how well a boat anchor can run and for what they are getting for the wrecked Hemis, the 401 has more low end grunt and fits in your engine comparment even bolts upto your bell but i fear that the AX15 probably isnt goign to like 400-500 ft/lbs of torque from 1500-5500 it tends to eat things. Plus have you looked closely at the hemi converted tj's its an engine compartment full.

Good luck either way you got my vote V-8 any day
Old 02-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Smog rules here are same model year or newer only... That is why I have been looking at the hemi's. The wife just got a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK and that thing flies!!! She had a 2000 with the 4.7l and that is a doable swap, but if I am gonna do it, may as well go all out!

If I do it, I will be doing a new tranny (undecided) D60 front/rear and the atlas. The 44's are fine for the little 4.0l but that is it... Lotsa lotsa money for all that.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by ddestruel
isnt the TJ frotn bumper to rear 12' or was it 15' front to rear and then 8' center of tire to center of tire.

anywaysi have ponderd and battled this over the years if you can back the lead vehicle on and stuff the spare tire between the uprights and then load the second nose forward you could probably get away with a 24' GN and two TJ's

True, true, but I have a wheeling buddy with a well built XJ and you never know when might need to help out someone with a full size or whatever. Not te only choice, but then I'd never have to regret it...

Quick Reply: What Would You Do?