Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Weight Distribution Hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight Distribution Hitch.

I have one of these and pulled my enclosed trailer about 400 miles this weekend. The ride was nice and smooth the whole way. I usually only use it on a highway trip just because I don't feel like hassling with it around town. Well, this morning I hooked up with just my basic hitch and Man! that thing was bouncing me all over today. If any of you are hauling a bumper mount trailer without a WDH then I highly recommend getting one.

Out
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 AM

Before I had my fifth wheel I used to get laughed at all the time for using a W/D hitch with our 5000lb travel trailer.

Some guys think its a hit to their manhood to use a W/D hitch on thier big burly diesel truck.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 AM

We all know the diesel Ram will pull anything but if you can do it in comfort than that's nice. I also have one of those cheap anti sway units (Clutch type)which everyone says is junk. It seems to work fine for me as long as I make it nice and tight. She makes some noise going around a turn slowly but who cares....
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM

It's the only way to go............even with smaller lighter-weight trailers. I am a retired truck-driver of 43 years and long-time travel trailer puller. I wouldn't have it any other way. My trailer is a handful at 12K+ when loaded. It has over 1200lbs on the tongue. You probably couldn't handle that kind of tongue weight without a WD hitch. And don't forget the sway control system. I use two, one on each side. I keep the tension bars tight and it goes down the road just fine.

Steve
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SundayMoney
Some guys think its a hit to their manhood to use a W/D hitch on thier big burly diesel truck.
People who have manhood don't have to worry about a hit to it.
I think a big burly diesel pickup in a ditch with a trailer all gutted up looks a lot worse than one on the road with WD hooked up, passing by the scene... WD all the way for me. 1,300+ lbs tongue weight thet my fox has won't work any other way though.
I only take off WD when pushing the trailer in at an awkward angle, like if I want to end up with the truck 90* to it in the camp site. I left WD on once for that and boy did the bars get twisted up! It didn't do any apparant damage but it looked very uncomfortable so now I take them off when angling the rig severely.