Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Want to run it by the experts RE: towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to run it by the experts RE: towing

Hi everyone !
I have a 2005 RAM 3500 4x4 quad cab w/ Cummins & 6 speed. I have a 2005 Horton Hauler 25' gooseneck. The RAM has a custom "toter" bed. I have a Class A CDL and have been driving for 30+ years,(not commercially) and have towed a lot of different stuff. I have driven a few tractor-trailer units on local intrastate runs - own a 39' 30,000# Peterbilt Custom RV/Hauler, etc - so I have experience in towing, hauling and driving.

I am strictly private (not in commerce, not commercial, not for hire) - the goods are mine and they are not for sale, and I am not in business. The truck and trailer are correctly tagged "private" and I have large decals on the doors when I take one of my "toys" somewhere. I do stop at scales, so as not to get chased down, and have had no issues. My rig is kept clean.

My gross GVW RATINGS are combined @ 32,200. I have the correct license. I am DOT exempt, and have all the correspondence (names, phone numbers, emails, faxes) in a folder in the rig.The rig with me in it, full fuel, empty weighs in at 15,140#. That leaves 17,060# "available" for weight to my ratings. I cannot see ever hauling that load, but I have the "heaviest" load coming up, so I need your input.

Empty, when I hook the trailer up, I have 6% of the trailer weight to the front axle of the truck, 19# to the rear truck axle (=25%), 75% on the trailer axles (2 10,000# = 20,000# on the trailer - trailer weighs in at 6,900# empty). My tires are E rated on both truck & trailer (and are new). At 80# inflation, the tires for the trailer combined are rated at 19,800#, and for the rear duals on the truck @ 12,600#. The rear axle rating on the Dodge is just over 9500#. The trailer has electric brakes on both axles.

I am going to pick up an International 1600 (V8 gas engine) fire truck, which is a 4x4 - dual wheels in back - empty water tank. It is a "brush truck". It looks to be around 20-22' in length (so length is not a problem). I would load it backwards, so the weight of the engine, front axle, and a portion of the pump (a midship) will rest on the trailer axles, thus attempting to keep my "tongue weight" distributed as when the trailer is empty. As the trailer axles (and combined tire ratings) have the highest rating, it makes sense to put the heavier part of the load there, of course with additional weight disbursed forward towards the truck. I don't know the weight of the fire truck, but am estimating it to be, at heaviest, 12,000-13,000# (and that may be high). My Dodge weighs in at just over 8,000#.

I have taken the 13,000# estimated load weight, and 6% of it would add 780# to the front axle, which with the trailer weight and truck weight, would be just about at the front axle RATING. 19% on the rear would add 2,470# to the rear - I would be under my rear truck axle rating by around 2,000# (and well under the tire ratings). At 75% on the trailer axles, that will add 9,750# to the 5,175# trailer weight at the trailer axles, which is 14,925# - well under axles and tire ratings. I know that moving the fire truck back and forth on the trailer would change the weight distribution - I would probably move it back aft so to take more load off the front axle.

I would gross at 28,140, under my 32,200 max combined GVW ratings. As I said, I have a Class A CDL, which is required as the combined weight rating is over 26,001# AND the trailer rating is over 10,000#.

Anyone have any thoughts on:

1) Any concerns about the front axle weight being so close to the rating
2) Any "guesstimate" about the weight of the fire truck ? It is a "brush" truck.
3) Any thoughts on the "maximum towing capacity" of the Dodge and this load ?
4) What kind of heavy loads have you hauled behind a 3500 Cummins 6spd - (I know 4x4 adds a bit of weight and reduces capacity)

A load of 13-14,000# on the rig I have described would be, by my calculations, just about "max" in the legal and SAFE aspects. Those of you who haul a lot of different (and heavy) loads - please let me know your thoughts. Have I overlooked anything ? When I pick it up, I will try to get to a scale close by (about 11 miles) so I can make adjustments. Normally, my loads are 8,000-9,000#, so this will be the heaviest I have put on this set up. I am in Florida, will drive the rig to NJ to pick up the fire truck, so I can't "test" it in advance of the trip.

I know that pulling is one issue, but stopping is most important. I will be going from NJ to Florida (pretty flat) on Interstate 95 - good roads, good weather.
I drive safely, and am attentive to traffic and conditions. I not only don't want any DOT problems weight-wise, but I also want to make sure I am not going to be unsafe, or damge my rig.

I have learned a lot (even at 52 you CAN teach an old dog new tricks) by reading this forum. As you know "Dodge" - please weigh in on my concerns.

Thanks to everyone in advance !
Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Sounds like you have thought this out to the tee. In my opinion you should have no problem pulling this kind of load. It sounds like to me you have large amounts of towing experience just not with the Cummins. I pull 31,000 with a 2500 48re almost daily. I to have a class A. The truck handles the load very well in fact I have to watch my speed closely or the truck will take off with the load at to high of speeds. As of DOT issues I do not have to cross any scales (there aren't any within the area I tow) I would think if you do have to cross any scales be sure to have you truck taged for that kind of weight. I'm sure the "Hotshots will chime in soon
Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldnt have a problem towing it as far as weight came out of Ohio with about 23 ki on the trailer didnt have a problem even with the scales. If it doesnt look like your overloaded then they wont pay to much attetion most of the time. Kentucky stopped me but just wanted to see paperwork. make sure you have it chained down at 4 points and keep everything else looking good and you shouldnt have a problem in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Where in NJ are you picking this thing up?

With a 6spd dually you have the right truck for the job. I would not worry about being 50 or 100 lbs over the front GAWR. Your tires will still be well under at 80 PSI.

What kind of brake controller do you have?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 PM

Picking up in Belleville - greater Newark area. The brake control is a Tekonsha #9030 proportional "Voyager" control. Thanks for the input thus far.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't know much about what makes a fire-truck a brush-truck; but, it sounds to me like you may be a couple thousand or more light on the guesstimated weight of it.

My 2wd F-350, with steel flat, double frame, 42" sleeper, and auxilliary fuel weighs 10,000, give or take on the scales at the local quarry.

If this thing has much equipment on it, it could be quite a bit heavier than you think.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Arrow Update:Fire truck weight

Fire truck weighed in (certified) @ 14,800# w/gear (no water). I leave Florida tonight for NJ.

Truck GCVWR is 32,200. This puts weight @ 30,240# (with additional passenger and gear) or 1,960# UNDER my GCVWR. If I have the truck towards the aft end of the trailer, and keep my 25% "tongue" weight:

Front axle Dodge: 5,828# (over axle rating by 638#)
Rear axle Dodge: 8,062# (under axle rating by 1,288#)
Trailer axles: 16,320# (under tire ratings by 8,660#)

We'll see what happens !
Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 PM

good luck - i think it'll be fine - let me know if you need any help when you are up here - i am probably 20 minutes from the fire truck.

973-459-9348.
patrick

only advise i would have had (im sure he is on his way by now) is to get a better brake controller....
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM

Hook up and pull it no problems. I too have Class A liscense pulled right at 28,500 up and down some hills here no problems. You know what to do good luck with the trip and watch those Idiots out there.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:03 PM

Made the trip

Hi everyone:

Trip went fine. I can email pictures of the set up if anyone wants.

I ended up loading the fire truck backwards, and coming bak onto the ramps with the front axle. Full fuel, gear, me behind the wheel:

Front axle Dodge: 4,820 (400# under rating)
Rear axle Dodge: 6,720 (2,2630# under rating)
Trailer axles: 18,820 (1,180# under axle rating and 940# under max. tire ratings)

Total rig scaled @ 30,360# with a rated combined GVW of 32,200 so 1,840# under.

95 South out of New Jersey - first open scale in VA - green lighted around. Only other scale was in north Florida - green lighted around.

Averaged 58-64 MPH. @ 58mph Cummins running about 1800 RPM - fuel consumtion around 9.5-10.5 MPG. Frequently checked chains and straps, and of course felt the tires and hubs - no problems.

Thanks again !
Old 05-14-2006, 07:57 PM

Good to hear that your trip went well. That is a lot of weight.
Will