Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

two wheel vs four wheel towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:two wheel vs four wheel towing

When making the decision on our new rig, I figured in the followin: I've been towing back and forth over the Sierra's every weekend from March through October for two years now, with occassional trips to Denver, Medford, OR. and Phoenix. I tow a 30', 10,000# race car trailer and have to enter many damp to wet fairground tracks. My old truck was an '89 Ram 350 CTD. SO - as I never needed 4x4 yet, I decided the 2x4 would do me much better. It's less expensive to buy, is easier to get in and out of, and is a lot less expensive maintenance-wise. SO, I guess it all depends on what you need it for. If I have to cross the Sierra's in the winter, we take the wife's 2000 Durango 4x4. Best of both worlds. Enjoy
Old 01-03-2003, 07:56 PM

I have 9'6&quot; Lance truck camper. Thus far, we only took one trip up to the mountains of Western Maryland to four wheel my CJ7. It turned out to be a messy, rainy weekend. <br>I need four wheel drive just to get out of the campsite, at least to keep from tearing the place up. One fellow did get his motorhome out, by the skin of his teeth. <br>I suppose if I had not yet hooked up my CJ behind the truck, I might have been able to bulldog the rig out of there. <br>I work at a local hospital, as the lead electrician and getting there regardless of weather, is critical.<br>The piece of mind the truck gives me with that extra diff sits well with me. Plus, the better half would not settle for a 2x4.<br>I like having a solid axle up front, myself. I &quot;feel&quot; it is a stronger set up.<br>Bottom line. It simply depends on your situation.<br>See ya!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:53 PM

P Stevens, DTR where east meets west, Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA on US Highway 50. One of the scenic and historic highways of North America you can still drive.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:53 PM

We went rving with friends for New Years Eve. Sure enough when we arrived at the campground on Dec 30 there was snow on the ground. Thank heaven for the 4 x 4. I just turned the switch and backed into a nice spot with a really sharp turn. No slipping or sliding. Some friends arrived a few hours later with their 4 X 2 01 CTD and where slipping and sliding well backing into a straight line camp site. Having the 4x4 made backing in a snap.