Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Truck camper question: MPG wih Pop-up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on how many miles you're driving...

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Wondering though if there is really that big of a difference between a pop-up and a regular camper for fuel mileage? Is it worth the hassle of 1. Finding one (harder to find) 2. Setting them up each night (yeah, I know it's quick, but still.....) 3. Cold weather & security issues with the canvas sides?
The pop-up is worth 2-3 mpg. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less...depends on a lot of things (mostly speed).

If you're driving a lot of miles (with the camper on), the pop-up is awesome. I leave mine in the bed most of the year (packed and ready to go), so 2-3 mpg is a big deal (to me).

If I could do it all over again, I would get electric jacks with a more stable base for loading/unloading/storing ANY camper.

Then, I would consider the higher upfront cost of a hard side, the greater weight and poor aerodynamics, and the number of times I would actually use it in really cold weather (it's not as bad as you think...get a good sleeping bag to stay warm all night and use the heater just to cut the chill in the morning), the flexibility to tow my boat, utility, or Jeep trailer, and I would get another pop-up.

It would be nice to have a shower and a crapper on board, but honestly, I don't need another bathroom to clean! As far as security, the canvas is not the issue...anyone who wants to get in would pry open the door long before they climbed all the way up to the canvas.

That's my $0.02!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenAssets
The pop-up is worth 2-3 mpg. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less...depends on a lot of things (mostly speed).

That's my $0.02!
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Curiously, most of the ones I've found for sale are self contained, so I'd probably end up with a shower and toilet regardless. Although if the opportunity arises I don't mind parking in the vicinity of a vault toilet (as long as it doesn't mean I have to pay to camp there). Also, baby wipes go a long way in place of a shower.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I fabricated a shower using a 2 gal garden sprayer. I replaced supplied hose with some longer vacuum hose and shorted the wand a bit. Heat up some water in the coffee pot and dilute the room temperature water in the sprayer.
The adjustable head atomizes the water. It stretches a 1/2 gallon forever. My Northstar's got an exterior shower but we rarely use it. A porta potty takes care of the other need. I've been recovering from a major back injury and can't wait to heal up all the way and take off.