Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Tires

Is it true that the only thing you have to do to make the mobile home type axle 50 state legal is make sure the tires are not for mobile home use???
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM

I don't know, but I do know they are not meant for alot of miles.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Use any axle you want, but the tires have to be trailer tires to be legal. Car tires and mobile home tires are not acceptable.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badme
Use any axle you want, but the tires have to be trailer tires to be legal. Car tires and mobile home tires are not acceptable.
What he said! Also, if the axle is rated for more than 3000 lb's, it needs to have brakes too.

chaikwa.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This might sound dumb, and I'm sure there's a reason, but I just don't know the answer. Why can't the trailer axle be passenger tires of the correct load capacity? That's what 1/2 ton pickups have.

The brake requirement is governed by each state, and is different in each. Sure would be nice if every state had the same laws for axle weights, combination lengths, oversize dimensions, etc.

Don't shoot me for this statement, but personally, if it was up to me, everyone who towed any kind of trailer would have to have an endorsement on their passenger license. I have a Class A CDL, and have my reasons. But, I'm sure others would disagree, which is AOK. Hmm... maybe I'll do a poll.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i run the same tires on my trailers that i used to run on my early dodges and they are a 10 ply and dont say anything about wether or not they are for trailers. been stopped at the coops for level1 and 2 inspections and dang if those troopers didnt say a word about my tires be specific for a trailer. believe brakes are required for 6k and up
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajpulley
Why can't the trailer axle be passenger tires of the correct load capacity?
This is something I don't know the answer to. I think I could find out if someone is REALLY interested. Seems as though that if the capacity of the tire was compliant with the load being hauled, it would be fine. I've seen manufacturers use regular tires on new trailers, so there's either no enforcement or no actual law.

The brake requirement is governed by each state, and is different in each.
That's only partially true. Any state can make a federal law/rule/mandate more restrictive, but they cannot make any consessions to one that would compromise the integrity of the original intent. And right now, as far as I know, the Fed's, aka; NHTSA and DOT, require brakes on any axle and/or trailer that will exceed 3000 pounds capacity.

chaikwa.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:35 PM

The tires have to be rated higher than the trailer gvw. Yes you can use car tires on a small trailer, but they have soft sidewalls and will rip making sharp turns. Small trailer tires are marked for trailer use and large trailer tires are 6-8-10 ply rated. they are marked LT for light truck and trailer.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
The tires have to be rated higher than the trailer gvw. Yes you can use car tires on a small trailer, but they have soft sidewalls and will rip making sharp turns. Small trailer tires are marked for trailer use and large trailer tires are 6-8-10 ply rated. they are marked LT for light truck and trailer.
Legally they have to be LT or marked for trailer use. You cannot use car tires on any trailer. Does anyone check them? who knows I have never been checked.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM

it all depends on your state regs...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by willysrule
it all depends on your state regs...
Wrong. Unless you are in the state of Maine or Florida all of the other states have adopted the Federal DOT standards. The state of Maine should have them adopted by the end of the year. That will only leave Florida that lives in their own little world with their own rules.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Legally they have to be LT or marked for trailer use. You cannot use car tires on any trailer. Does anyone check them? who knows I have never been checked.

small trailer under 3000gvw doesn't have inspection. no one checks the tires
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickCJ
...but they have soft sidewalls and will rip making sharp turns.
Doesn't sound any worse than, again, a half ton pickup, stopped in a parking lot and you turn the steering wheel without moving.

Legally they have to be LT or marked for trailer use.
Ok, where would I be able to read it for myself?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!
What a lot of BAD information here!
Car tires can be used for trailer applications - they are just de-rated 10% for the axle rating! Although they are legal, it is true that they do not hold up as well due to fewer sidewall plies. The lack of sidewall stiffness also lends itself to induced sway. Not fun.
The 14.5" mobile home tires ARE rated for LOTS of highway miles! Them rascals are as about as durable a tire as they come. Many are 10 ply or better, and being that they are bias-ply, they can take a lot of abuse.
The axles and tires (and all other running gear) are actually the property of the delivery company! Want to keep the axles and running gear when your new home is delivered? Just ask, they'll sell them to your for what they paid for them. I know a lot of folks here that have used them to make 8 and 10 roll hay dollies. Most of them are rated for 8K (with brakes) or 7K (idler). Check the Dexter Axle web page for more specifics.

http://www.trailermanufacturersassoc...ntissues1.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...trailer002.pdf
Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Doesn't sound any worse than, again, a half ton pickup, stopped in a parking lot and you turn the steering wheel without moving.

Ok, where would I be able to read it for myself?
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...trailer002.pdf
near the bottom is says the trailer must be labeled with the tire specifacations.
Under tire size is where they get you. A car tire is not labeled or sized like the label will say.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tires