Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing a TT For First Time - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice I can give is, after this trip stay away from those rv shows.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 PM

DO....NOT.....BACK.....UP.....WITH.....THE.....SWA Y......CONTROLLERS.....STILL.....ATTATCHED. Remember tail swing when you are turning and pulling out of spots, such as gas stations.
Watch the tires in your mirrors on corners.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hoss,
Nice thing about that Jordan. When you first hookup and check the controller, it will tell you how much current the trailer brake magnets are pulling. It is probably a twin axle. Each wheel should pull 2.5 - 3 amps. Follow the instructions for setting it up - - it should read about 10 to 12 amps at max. I set mine at 7.9 for normal driving. Yours will be different I am sure. You want to make sure all four wheels have brakes.
Bob
Old 02-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by Lakemann
Another thing is, make sure the TT wheel bearings have been packed recently,nothing worse than a wheel flying off at highway spped and having to call a flatbed to come and get your trailer.
I have a good story about wheels flying off of a TT. But it wasn't due to grease. A little background, it was my fathers 27' Fireside twin axle TT. Had the complete setup on the truck, Class III reciever, weight distributing hitch. There is a little cable that goes between the trailer and truck that if the truck and trailer ever seperate, the cable becomes tight and pulls a switch that activates the trailer brakes. Well dad never connected the cable to the truck, ever. Something happened to the cable, and the switch pulled out on the highway. 65 mph suddenly becomes 35. Dad gives it more gas. Ok back up to 65. We make our exit to head for the river. I see smoke pouring off the trailer wheels. Dad disconnects the trailer electrical from the truck and pulls the battery cables off on the trailer. Trailer brakes now inoperative for the time being.

No problem, there is a TT and RV shop up the road. We stop get a new cable, re-connect trailer, and everything is good to go. Rest of the trip goes well. We are about to leave the river 3 days later, trailer is hooked up, I go back to un chock the wheels. Oh boy, 2 lug nut are missing on the right rear. The entire stud was sheared at the brake drum. The rest of the tires have heat damage, the heat was so intense when the cable gave way that the plastic lug nut protectors had all melted. Dad decides to chance it, and we go home.

About 2 miles away from the campsite we hear this thunking now coming from the trailer, and its getting progressively louder. Then all of a sudden, THUD. I look back and see a tire shooting off the road heading for the woods. We later found the tire. That wasn't very fun. We fixed it, had to wait a day to get wheel studs and get the tire and get the trailer home.

So moral of the story : Check ALL of your connections at every stop. My dad definetly does now.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 AM

Backing up with sway controllers:

Depends on the sort of sway controller you have. If you have the friction kind, don't do it without releasing them. If you've got a Reece dual cam, a Pullrite, or a Hensley, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by blackjack
Hoss you really are much better off with the weight dist hitch and the bars. Why don't you stop by the local TT shop and have someone go over the proper set up of the hitch. as far as the brake you also need the electric brake set-up I think towing that much of a rig without it is a the weight of the trailer will push you around without it kinda like Be safe above all it's not a big deal use a little common sense. The biggest thing I noticed abou TT's is how the wind effects these big boxes be careful with cross winds. have a good time
Trouble is....I've seen his weight distributing hitch and it makes me nervous. It sticks way out behind the truck (I'd guess 12") and it looks old and rusted. He recently flipped another trailer on that same hitch, and he says it twisted it just a little bit but he still uses it. I'd feel safer towing with my 10,000 lb drawbar than a weight distributing hitch that I'm not too sure about. He says he has a brand new one at his in-laws, but they're in Oklahoma and I don't think he wants to go get it.

I will definitely be using the electric brakes.