Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing doubles in california...nev and utah.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing doubles in california...nev and utah.

I normally pull a 50 ft enclosed trailer. In nevada we have a NON cdl class A, which I have. On my license it says, class a comb vehs>26000;trailer>10000 lbs, M-motorcycle/moped

My original license before getting a new one..said doubles/triples...

When I received my license the dmv even commented that I can drive anything, and they dont see that very often.

Anyways, Ive searched and searched. I may want to pull a two axle (toy box)Tag and a boat. Nev and utah dont seem to be an issue at all. But you never know....(I might find a reason to go to havasu) which means California. I try to stay out of cali as much as possible but you never know.

So if the state recprocates....which Cali does I shouldnt have a problem....I dont think. The gvw of the trailer is 10k.....(two axle toy hauler 21 ft long) and a 21 ft boat....with my extra cab dodge it puts me rt up to 65 ft....but Im used to the lenght, my 50 ft er I measure 64 ft 9 LOL....

There seems to be some internet talk about cali requireing a cdl....and not reciprocating? I think reciprocating is a yes or no thing not when you feel like it....but its the republic of cali.....what a messed up place.

If i was stopped, and I whip out a non cdl class a.....I bet they might warn me....and let me go....but I dont see them really pushing the issue no matter what the actual law is, because its so f ed up in the first place.

any input on this? Ill prob just stay out of cali....but I thought I d check because it could be a possibility.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are legal in your issuing state to pull that combination and posses a current medical card, you are good in CA as long as you are 65' or under....OR if neither trailer is over 28'6", you could run up to 75' overall!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Pulling recreational doubles in CA requires a CDL and the maximum length is 65'. Strangely though there is no verbiage in the code book which states that the lead trailer must be a 5th wheel. Which means yes, as crazy as it sounds, you can tow double bumper pull as long as you dont exceed the weight limits of the vehicle and hitch systems. No CHP buddy I have can prove otherwise either. When looking into towing doubles, I made sure I researched this as much as I could. I already had a CDL.

But in saying that, you "should" be just fine driving through CA with your license. To the best of my knowledge, you're not grandfathered just because your states requirements are less than another states. Example, I live in CA but still am not legal to tow recreational doubles in the state of OR or WA. If I do, I can be stopped and forced to come back for the second trailer. After talking to OR law, the general consensus was that probably wont happen but it surely gave me reason to look for a toy hauler instead of a regular 5th wheel and tag the toys along. This is why you dont see commercial truck/trailers in CA longer than 65' but cross state lines and you'll see longer truck/trailers on the road. They aren't allowed to even pass through the state. But.....I also believe that your non CDL class A is the same as whats called a recreational license and basically give someone the ability to tow doubles or tow RV trailers over a certain weight.

If you have plans to tow outside your state, I would suggest researching whats OK before trudging on through.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Example, I live in CA but still am not legal to tow recreational doubles in the state of OR or WA. If I do, I can be stopped and forced to come back for the second trailer. After talking to OR law, the general consensus was that probably wont happen but it surely gave me reason to look for a toy hauler instead of a regular 5th wheel and tag the toys along. This is why you dont see commercial truck/trailers in CA longer than 65' but cross state lines and you'll see longer truck/trailers on the road. They aren't allowed to even pass through the state. But.....I also believe that your non CDL class A is the same as whats called a recreational license and basically give someone the ability to tow doubles or tow RV trailers over a certain weight.
I have seen them stopped in WA and sit for a couple or more days. I have seen them in OR a couple times over the years but not seen them stopped. I sure wouldn't chance it.

We can commercially pull doubles that are 68' long from the front of the lead trailer to the back of the rear one. One 40/22 set I pulled was 67' 8" with a total overall length of right at 85'.

Originally Posted by KATOOM
If you have plans to tow outside your state, I would suggest researching whats OK before trudging on through.
Good info!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info Russ Roth.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM

You are welcome. If I could pull them I would be on it even if I had to go to a fifth wheel. I fish the OR coast in the winter and it's far enough I usually pull a TT and spend a couple days. There are times it would be a plus to have my drift boat with me but I can't have both.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You are welcome. If I could pull them I would be on it even if I had to go to a fifth wheel. I fish the OR coast in the winter and it's far enough I usually pull a TT and spend a couple days. There are times it would be a plus to have my drift boat with me but I can't have both.
You could move to CA..... But thats probably not what you care to hear.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM

You are right about that! LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You are right about that! LOL
Come on, its not that bad. Aside from the now super majority legislative gov we recently acquired in Sacramento, who think fixing our states financial problem is to make it unaffordable for the "tax payers" to live here..... They'll figure it out someday. At least we hope so before the scale tips so far that its irreversible.

We also have beautiful weather and great scenery. Not to many states where you can water ski, snow ski, swim in the ocean, swim in a lake, hike a mountain, fish in the river, walk in the forest, and trudge the desert all in the same day. If you're fast enough. Its all about where you live in the state.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM

That is true but I can do the same here without as many people and I am not one to like real warm weather or desert. About an hour to Hood skiing, 2 hours to the coast and if I already have my waders on I can be fishing in 15 minutes if I choose to go to the closest river and I fight big leaf maple leaves this time of year as I sort of live in the woods. Not literally in the forest but out of town and my back yard is next to the forest with my share of large fir and maple trees.

I have relatives in Simi Valley, Topanga Canyon and near San Diego so I have been there a time or two. Went to Disneyland about a year ago and visited Topanga Canyon relatives and the Simi Valley ones were there also.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM

That is true but I can do the same here without as many people and I am not one to like real warm weather or desert. About an hour to Hood skiing, 2 hours to the coast and if I already have my waders on I can be fishing in 15 minutes if I choose to go to the closest river and I fight big leaf maple leaves this time of year as I sort of live in the woods. Not literally in the forest but out of town and my back yard is next to the forest with my share of large fir and maple trees.

I have relatives in Simi Valley, Topanga Canyon and near San Diego so I have been there a time or two. Went to Disneyland about a year ago and visited Topanga Canyon relatives and the Simi Valley ones were there also.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM

I gotta admit, Washington is beautiful.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM

I'll be the first to admit bias but I have been a few other places around the world. For me there is no better place to live than the Pacific NW except Alaska. I did like that state but maybe not year round. Too much snow and cold. Everybody thinks it rains all the time here, and it does it's share, but that brings the fish up the rivers and keeps it green. Most people don't realize how dry it is East of the Cascades but again that really wouldn't be for me. Too hot in summer and too cold in the winter.

I have been in Northern CA around Santa Rosa and could do OK a bit further North. Some very nice country around there.