Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing Doubles Vs. other

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Doubles Vs. other

Thinking of buying a new SRW 1 ton, probably a CTD w/ 6spd. Crew cab/shortbox

I want to avoid scales/cdl for several reasons.

Will want to haul one vehicle sometimes and two others. Mainly for long highway trips to go 4 wheelin. Mostly Wy, Co, Ut, NM, some Ca, Az and Nv.

My 4wheeler is 6k and about 17' long, my friend owns a 5k vehicle and about 14' long. He also has a PSD Excursion (700 ft-lb torque) for a tow rig so keep this in mind and owns a 10k rated 18' trailer.

Option 1: Two bumper tow trailers. Would buy a 14k 20' HD and use his trailer behind.

Pros: Cheapest, most versatile, can be towed behind either tow vehicle, no problems with one vehicle.
Cons: Potential sway and legality issues, have to unhook rear trailer to load/unload. -- very long ~ 44' trailer length
est weight: 15k

Option 2: 34' 14K bumper tow trailer
Pros: Pull behind either vehicle, mainly legal (only two axles on ground), easy to load.
Cons: More sway then gooseneck, pricey ($4k), PITA with only one vehicle, hard to park or get into to tight trail heads ~ 37' long
est weight: 14k

Option 3: 22' 14 K Gooseneck
Pros:, no problems with one vehicle, should tow as lead on double well, better performance in ice and snow, easy to park
Cons: Potential legality issues, have to unhook rear trailer to load/unload, can only tow goose behind my rig. Pricey (need hitch+ trailer is more) -- very long ~ 47' trailer length
est weight: 15.5k

Option 4: 34' 14 K Gooseneck
Pros: mainly legal (only two axles on ground), easy to load. No sway, best perfomance under all conditions due to design,
Cons: Only behind my rig, pricey ($4k) + hitch, PITA with only one vehicle, hard to park or get into to tight trail heads -- ~37' long
est weight: 15k

Thoughts?

If I was hauling two vehicles all the time, I would just go with the 34' gooseneck, however over half my miles would be with one vehicle and it would be nice to be able to use either vehicle.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:48 PM

You may want to check with yuor local authorities. For the most part you cannot pull "doubles" with a GN. Most states have laws against having two ball type hitches in one combination. Here in Minnesota the law specificly states: The first trailer MUST be a semi (fifth wheel) type. discuss your intentions with the Wy. State Patrol and see if you can get a copy of the laws. I stopped in at a local Patrol office and the Officer made copies right out of the hand book that he carries in his squad car. I carry the laws with me for future "problems".
Tom
Old 05-17-2004, 09:39 PM

Same here in Okla. ball to ball is illegal. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-17-2004, 09:46 PM

In my opinion this is not even a question. This is a no brainer. Get a big gooseneck trailer and call it done. The money you will spend will save you time, frustration and give you added safety.

If you are heart set on being able to tow from either vehicle, get a bumper pull double car hauler.

http://www.kaufmantrailersinc.com
Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 AM

My opinion=

Buy a DRW, 6sp., 4:10 instead of the SRW.
Buy the 34' dovetail gooseneck float w/ramps, & haul both vehicles.

Let your buddy buy the diesel since your buying the trailer, or tell him to "cowboy-up" and buy a truck he can pull it with. Since your buddy will be saving money by selling the overpriced excursion and going with the Dodge/Cummins, then both of you will come out on top.

2 words that dont go together = 34' & bumperpull. It will be one of the rougher rides that you will experience. I rode with the in-laws while pulling thier 32', double slideout, bumper pull in a SRW psd, and it was the roughest ride ever!!!!!

I am a big advocate of Goosneck/5thwheel hitches when towing long & heavy.

Again,,,My opinion.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 AM

Thanks for everyone opinions. (and legal info)

Well since the truck will be primarily a daily driver and likely only make a half dozen trips a year with 15k, the rest will be empty or the 8-9k single vehicle, i will likely go SRW and 3.73s (I realize 4.10s will be better for towing).

The Ex isn't going away, it fits in the garage and hauls 7 people, only diesel on the market that does both. (or either for that matter)

I'm leaning towards the short gooseneck since that should be the best for hauling a single vehicle, and should allow me to pull the second behind if required. No one really discussed this option.

I believe the tongue weight on the long/heavy bumper pull would be excessive.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Chapter President

Unless the gooseneck has a 5 th wheel pin hitch it's still considered a ball hitch and it would be illegal to pull as a double in many states
Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that's why really heavy duty trailers, like 40' horse haulers are "goose-neck" hitches. Even the horse trailers with living quarters have the "goose-neck" hitch.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by pappyman
Unless the gooseneck has a 5 th wheel pin hitch it's still considered a ball hitch and it would be illegal to pull as a double in many states
Very good point, I had no idea....

So from a legal sense, the only one that would be legit is the long singles.... Which would be the way to go if I was only planning on hauling two vehicles all the time, its just hard to justify towing a 34' trailer with just one truck on it all over Wyoming and Colorado a couple times a month...
Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
I believe that's why really heavy duty trailers, like 40' horse haulers are "goose-neck" hitches. Even the horse trailers with living quarters have the "goose-neck" hitch.
Actually, really heavy duty trailers (like over-the-road Class 8 trucks) are 5th wheel. Gooseneck hitches are primarily used in agricultural or off-road applications.

Rusty