Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

towing advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing advice please

Yesterday I towed my boat aprox 6300 lb weight. It was raining and in general not a nice day. No real problems except on the wet pavement when starting off the rear end would break lose once in a while and fishtale a little before hooking up. The tires are new Goodrich t/a's all season. I never noticed this in the past when towing with my old vehical a Suburban. I have never checked the tounge weight but the trailer was set up by the boat dealer and looks to be correct, the inboard motor sits over the trailer axle and that would seem to place the weight where it should be. I am pulling from my hitch rated at 7500lbs without a weight distributing set up. one of the reasons for buying my CTD was to be able to transport my boat a little more. I guess what I am really asking for is some advice from you guys that tow. This is a great site for people to learn how to take care of and saftley operate their CTD Rams thanks for all the help
Old 11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re:towing advice please

Congratulations, you now have torque. ;D Just be a little lighter on accelerator in the rain, nothing's wrong with the tires, the truck, or the towing setup. Just way power than the old 'Burban, that's all.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:35 AM

As wannadiesel said, you got TORQUE something your old Suburban could only dream about. Also you might be a bit light in the tongue weight so check that as well. Not sure if you can do anything about it though. Some extra weight in the box might help some. With a little practice you will learn to control all that newfound power.

Casey
Old 11-04-2003, 06:31 AM

Your local trailer shop should be able to measure your tongue weight. There should be some places on Gratiot or 32 Mile that could do this easily.

If it is light, you normally have some flexibility of moving the boat forward or aft on the trailer to adjust the balance, or possibly sliding the axle train forward or aft for the same affect. Lotsa gas in the boat can also help, but does make the overall weight heavier. If you've got torsion axles, make sure the trailer is level, if its not your tongue weight will change with height (mine does).

I moved my boat forward about 1.5" and it had a measureable positive effect on towing. I'm about 9k total, and ~650 tongue.

I do love the CTD power though, sooo much better than the FORD gasser I used to pull it with. Mine will chirp the tires in third pulling the boat under lots of throttle.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:37 AM

If the tires are NEW new...they may have that skin that doesn't grip for.

Otherwise...try to be easier on the throttle. Does it chirp empty? A little more tongue weight can help, but minimal. Throw extra gear in the front of the boat or bed of the truck.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

Is your trailer sitting level, when hooked up to the truck? If not do what you have to do, too get it that way. Can you adjust your trailer to get more weight on the tounge? I don't really think you have a heavey foot, or the Cummins is just to powerfull for you (please).
Old 11-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advise to all I do have torrsion axles on this trailer and had not considered the effects of having the trailer level. I think I will need to drop the ball height about 1-2 inches to get perfectly level I can also have the trailer tounge weight checked and adjust to provide maximum for the hitch. I did'y mean to give the impression that I am concerned about the power of my CTD on the contrary I am a bit of a cowboy at times and have always had a heavy foot. Just trying to use this vehical for a long while the reason for the post. trying to circumvent the learning the hard way thing. My tires do not chirp they hook up on the dry pavement as they should. once again thanks the information on this site is great
Old 11-05-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ease up on the pedal, esp when it's wet.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:21 PM

I'll bet you get rear wheel spin when you cross that big ugly white strip in the road. Just like what they all said that's REAR WHEEL Torque(POWER man POWER) ;D ;D ;D
Just take it easy on the take off and you will be just fine.