Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing 8k

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 8k

I aint towed with my truck yet, I am moving this weekend and have a 18ft enclosed trailer. total weight is about 8k or so. I just want to know if its ok to run without the tow/haul mode with that kind of weight, i have a tranny temp gauge and other gauges you see on my sig so I can monitor everything incase.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume the truck is new-to-you....

How many miles on the truck?
It certainly should be broke in by now!

Not to be insulting....just inquiring....Have you experience towing?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the tow/haul on the 04.5 just raise the shift points? If that's the case, I would not worry about it....load up & go.

How far are you going? When was the filter/trans fluid changed?

Watch your trans temp....if it gets much past 200, pull over & idle high (1200rpm), in NEUTRAL for 5-10 minutes. In stock form, DC trannies do not pump fluid in Park.

HTH

Tony
Old 04-27-2006, 04:01 PM

It should tow in regular mode on level road with no problem. Keep looking in the rear vue mirror, your truck won't even know it is working
Take it easy untill you get the feel of it and have a safe trip
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM

Just make sure you look in the mirror from time to time so you know your still pulling it. Seriously though just becareful, I know when I pull my 16 foot enclosed trailer that the wind can and will push it around some other than that you will have no problem. Oh and I never worry about putting mine in tow/haul it does just fine.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 AM

Last weekend I got my boat out and pulled it around for the first time with this truck. As soon as I got on the road I noticed it was slightly sluggish pulling. Then remembered to switch to tow/haul , I also have the OD lockout. My boat is somewhere around #6000. I would think you would want to use the tow/haul (my 0.02).
Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 AM

With the fueling mods listed in your sig and no turbo mods (don't see any listed in your sig) I would be more worried about high EGT's than anything else. I don't see a pyrometer listed in your sig either, so you really have no idea how hot you're getting.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Why would you not want to use it? It just helps your tranny stay cooler by locking up the TC sooner.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 PM

all done towing, sorry i was moving and the cable company cut off my internet before i was able to see everyone response. I called a friend of mine that has a camper and asked about towing. I started off with Tow/haul until i got about 55MPH then turned it off to keep the RPM's down, also i kept tow/haul on when i was going up and down steep hills and so forth, just flat ground I would turn it off. I got 14.5mpg on my 400 mile trip, which i think is pretty **** good for towing 8k, my total load+truck and trailer (i had to weigh my truck for travel claim info) was 16700lbs. Truck was a little sluggish at first, but once that TC locked up its was smooth flowing, I smoked a little more then normal, but i figure thats normal. All in all was a good time, wasnt much trouble at all.

TonyB- Yes, CTD's are new to me, well kinda now, i have had my truck for almost 2 years now. I have towed before, just not with a diesel, our work has a ferd V12 POS.

Mechanos- I have the edge w/att that has a pyro in it, I was able to keep a eye on EGT's.

My EGT's kept around 700 and when climbing hills hit 900-1000 for short bursts, nothing too hot. Also my tranny kept pretty cool, with the outside temp of 77 today, it stayed about 130-150

Little story while i was towing...
I was stopped at a red light minding my own business. It turned green and i started going, i didnt noticed what was behind me, but its was a ford powerchoke that pulled aside. He had a 5th wheel car hauler with 3 cars on it. I guess he saw my A-piller and thought i was some hot rod racer with a trailer and he slams his pedal and start spitting out smoke all over the place. I guess he thought I was going to race him. I just let him go about his business and was ready to laugh when he spit out a tranny. Why would anyone think someone is going to race with a trailer. The bed of my truck was full of crap that wouldnt fit in the trailer...so he knew i was probably full. Thats just stupidity in my book...
Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 AM

I had a similar story with a powerchoke the otherday too, I was running about 70 with my boat in tow headed to the beach when all the sudden I see this Black Dually f-350 with 2 car trailer behind it come flying up at about 80. He got beside me I couldnt see in because of the tint but he then tried to race me with cars everywhere. It was the stupidest thing I have ever seen running 90mph on a road with stoplights and traffic everywhere. He should have got his *** kicked.