Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

SRW to DRW?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRW to DRW?

A few weeks back we went to the local RV show and saw this wonderful new FW that might be nice to get some day. However, it grossed out at a whopping 14,000#.

Right now I tow 10,000# with 1500# on the pin all runs fine and I'm right at my spec GVWR. From reading... I hear of people with my setup towing much more all the time - but I'm a conservative type and prefer to err on the side of safety. Maybe we could swing the upgraded FW, but getting a new FW and new truck isn't in the cards.

A little googling found that you can buy a bolt on dually kit though? Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if a dually kit, maybe a rear suspension mod, some trans mods and a chip... not exactly inexpensive, but cheaper than a new truck? Just dreamin'... Opinions?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

You'll be amazed at how much more stable your truck will be with duals pulling your FW. Escpecially in the wind. I'd put duals on for sure if I pulled a trailer like that all the time. I could never go back to a truck without training wheels on it. Check prices on a salvaged axle with rims and everything from a junk yard and see if it could save you some money. That may or may not help.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave,

Just a couple of quick thoughts. You might try contacting member "Budsowner" about his conversion to his truck. His truck started life as a 2500 and he converted it to a dually. Here is a link to his profile with pics. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...er.php?u=30905

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=30905

If you don't want to go to that much trouble, you could also consider going to 19.5'' Rickson wheels with "G" Rated tires. They will at least up your tire GVW which is really the weak point anyway. If you are afraid of your springs, then you can add air bags and a Helwig Sway bar.

http://www.ricksontruck.com/

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Yes, a dually conversion is a bit of work. Your best bet is to locate some one nearby with a dually that would like to go to a SRW and swap. You are going to need his rear end. the front end is done simply with spacers, the the rear end on the dually is narrower. You will also be swapping beds unless you plan to go with a flat bed or hauling body. Other than that the springs are the same, except the 3500 (SRW and DRW) have the overload spring that the 2500 does not. Air bags are a great way to cut down on the wallowing and sway of the body.

I think the 19.5's are a great idea, just be aware that teh truck WILL ride rougher. I had them on my 2003 3500 DRW4x4 and loved they way they looked, I just got used to how they rode.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM

I pull a 11K fth wheel with SRW 3500 CTD, No problems, No sway and much cheaper when buying new tires.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Muted User

A good set of tires will eliminate the need for dual wheels (mostly an ego trip). 19.5" open up a larger selection of better tires (range F,G,H), Better tire milage and are alot cheaper than swapping axles\beds. Here is just one site you might want to look at.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM

Unless I'm reading that site wrong, the price for upgrading to 19.5" G tires/wheels looks to be 3,000 to 5,000? I'd seen dually conversions complete with fender flares for less than half that, in part because you re-use the tires.

I'm not clear on why you need to swap an axle if you can do a bolt-on dually conversion. The other "con" seems to be a lack of a spare tire (or coming up with another $800+ for a spare...but no place to store it?). Not trying to argue... I didn't know a G rated 19.5" was an option. Oh yes... with a 3.73 rear end, don't I lose a lot of tow capability with the bigger tire diameter?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM

Hey, check out Arrowcraft. They've got your bolt on dually conversion kits. I just bought one, it's on the way. There's a thread on here where I've been ranting and raving about blowing tires, from a week or so ago, might have some more info in it for you. Gonna go with a flat bed to replace my regular bed, they've got kits for your fenders and all if you want them. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davelinde
Unless I'm reading that site wrong, the price for upgrading to 19.5" G tires/wheels looks to be 3,000 to 5,000? I'd seen dually conversions complete with fender flares for less than half that, in part because you re-use the tires.

I'm not clear on why you need to swap an axle if you can do a bolt-on dually conversion. The other "con" seems to be a lack of a spare tire (or coming up with another $800+ for a spare...but no place to store it?). Not trying to argue... I didn't know a G rated 19.5" was an option. Oh yes... with a 3.73 rear end, don't I lose a lot of tow capability with the bigger tire diameter?

Dave I was just throwing out another option for you. I haven't priced a dually conversion and didn't know what was available for that. I agree that the 19.5 wheels and "G" Tires are very expensive, but remember too that they will probably last over 100,000 miles. They are a much more robust tire than the "D" and "E" tires. The total diameter of the tire shouldn't change much. The tires will be smaller but the wheels bigger, if that makes any sense.

You might PM this member and look at his truck pic in his gallery. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...er.php?u=21318

He may be able to give more info. I am still running factory wheels, but if I was going to be pulling a really heavy 5ver I am sure I would go Rickson or something similar. I don't really want to have the training wheels sticking out.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Rickson has its advantages and disadvantages. You get to keep the skinny width. Rickson spare will fit in the stock location (at least mine did). They are so expensive though... It's nuts. And it's not the tires, it's the wheels. The tires can be justified. $200/tire is not much cheaper than 17's anyway and they could last 100k. But $300 for a steel wheel is

Michelin makes a real nice 225/70/19.5 G tire that is the same diameter as a 235 85 16 or 265 75 16. Otherwise 245's on a 19.5 will run a little bit larger.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM

when I was shopping for a new truck I saw an 07 srw cc that had a bolt on set of rear wheels think they had a spacer between the two back tires instead of having off-set rims.. it looked funny to me but to each his own I guess
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM

actually the 05 spring set on the 2500 and 3500 are different

my buddies have 4 thinner main leaves in their pack and i have three thicker main leaves in my spring pack

the overload spring insn't the only difference, the 2500 obviously has a more progressive spring rate for a smoother ride and less carrying capacity

going to a dually shouldn't be that hard, get both axles and the bed from the donor truck and svae some hassle
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 AM

I haul them up to 12,500 on the FW all the time,I switched to D rated tires to improve the ride,as E's made me about 2" shorter after 1000 miles in a day.
The Duel wheels make it ride a little nicer,as I have also hauled with a 2500 when my truck was down.2500 is ample truck with E rated tires IMHO.
I'd still rather have a Duely though,for the stability and the ride (Not the ego trip...I hate buying the tires..but i like having the extra 2 tires)