3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

DRW and Fuel Economy ??? SRW to DRW COnversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRW and Fuel Economy ??? SRW to DRW COnversion

So I am contemplating a SRW to DRW conversion on my 2006 Megacab. The only reason for this is my daughter is running the National Snocross circuit and we are towing our 40' G'neck long distances now. I know the DRW will give me much greater stability, but the SRW is easier to drive as a daily driver. One friend says I may LOSE mileage going to a DRW. The trailer loaded is about 9,000-10,000 total, and mainly used December thru end of March.

I am currently getting around 10 mpg towing. I have 265/70R17 Michelin LTX AT2 tires on it now. Truck has mufler removed and Bully Dog Triple Dog on Tow/Economy setting 5.9 with auto

Please chime in with your experiences and any opinions, suggestions plusses and minuses of converting. A new truck IS NOT an option.
Attached Thumbnails DRW and Fuel Economy ??? SRW to DRW COnversion-dscn4951-small.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding 2 more wheels to the rear will not give you a noticeable difference in fuel consumption.....if that is all that you change. If you go to a different rear end gear setup, it will change, but simply adding addition rubber shouldn't change anything with these trucks. The daily driving thing is easily overcome within your first week of driving. It only takes a couple of curbs to let you know that you are not swinging the turns far enough. I personally have not done this on a Dodge, but an old Chevy years ago and it wasn't that bad of a job. Getting the fenders on may be the hardest part. I'm not sure how the fenders are mounted on our trucks. Everything else is sit on a five gallon bucket with a pile of wrenches and add hubs. Not positive, but I think that the rear brakes are different on the duallies versus SRW. Looking forward to seeing pics of the project.....keep someone close with clean fingers and a camera.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
the years are different but when i converted my truck ( see signature) i gained at least 2 mpg
Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tow 12,000 to 13,000 with my srw no problem. I like the single in the snow here. Also costs hundreds less every tire change, and much easier for the warden to drive when she needs to.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM

What about running 19.5" truck tires?

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM

I've had both SRW and DRW. No difference in fuel mileage. The *** will stay planted with the DRW, period. Awesome on exit ramps where the tongue weight pushes sideways. A fiberglass topper added 1.2mpg comparing all fuel and miles for 20,000 miles without topper and 20,000 miles with topper.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Dont know about fully loaded MPG but unloaded there is not much of a difference mabe .5 mpg I have owened both DRW & SRW

With DRW u will have more stablity for your trailer not to mention if u get a blow out u can make it to the shoulder and potentialy keep your trailer and daughters equipment damage free.

just my .02
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM

I switched to the new Michelins this year and have lost some Milage with them. The stock Michelin LTX A/S felt more stable than these LTX AT2's do. I switched thinking that running back and forth from Detroit to Wisconsin and Minnesota all wither the AT tread would be beter. The traction has been great. I am dissapointed in that they are cupping bad and they have been rotated as well as truck much more nervous feeling with the trailer. I am not a fan of the 19.5 look, or the 22.5's......just personal preference. I know stock dually's come with a 235/80-17. Is there anything slightly taller eqivelent to a 285?? that will work with dually wheels?? Also will the 265/70-17 work with dually wheels or are the 235/80's better....Thanks for the info guys
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Try going with aftermarker wheels that have a wider stance. I towed an all alumin. enclosed 45' trailer (triple axle) from Vegas back home and during the drive back, cross winds of 50-60 mph was pushing the side of the trailer which didn't even matter....except when passing a big rig and that's the only time I drove by braille (the reflectors dividing the lanes).

Thing that made me happy was I knew there was some wind pushing the side, but didn't know that it was that much til we had to get out at the veg. check point and open up the trailer for them. Holy cr*p, it was strong winds. The trailer only weighs 6100 empty.

Check out my pics to see...
Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 AM

I did the conversion from SRW to DRW and yes - you will lose some mpg. My guess is around .5 - 1 mpg empty and maybe .25 - .5 loaded. Since I drive slower loaded the wind drag by the wide hips isn’t that much of a factor.

To think you will GAIN MPG is just being plain naive (or stupid -- take your pick : ).

You have a greater front area.
You have more weight to start/stop.
You have greater tire resistance.
All facts you can’t ignore!

IMO, the safety and stability is WELL WORTH the marginal fuel loss. I've pulled my GN with my truck both with SRW and DRW and will NEVER go back to SRW for towing GN’s or even bumper pulls. I’ve got a 24’ high box trailer which is a bumper pull and it greatly improved stability. I haven’t seen/read about 1 person saying the opposite.

What is a better question, I think, is the conversion worth it? I thought it was when I did mine but regret doing it now. I should have just purchased a new (or used) DRW. It would have been cheaper, quicker, and it would be LEGAL. The DRW setup will add a few hundred lbs to the truck even though your GVWR will not increase (I did a boat load of research on trying to get my inside door sticker changed and NO ONE will do it) so your legal carrying capacity will go down especially in the rear axle rating. I have a 40’ GN which empty will put 2300 or so lbs on the hitch. With the extra weight of the dually (I couldn’t find 17” dually rims so purchased Rickson 19.5 which are VERY HEAVY) I’m right at my legal limit on my rear axle. Once I load my GN I’m way over. Just something to think about.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM

I am way over the 9000 gvwr to start with with all 5 of the family in the empty truck its over 8000 lbs. I know where a Dually axle is or I can use adapters. Both are AAM 11.5 axles so I dont know if only difference is width or not. front axle is identicle just needs hub extenders $110.00 each from Dodge my cost. wheels I have found a few sets so far, just havent decided yet to spend money. Fenders or new box is the biggest ??? I bought this truck new and I have $23000 reasons NOT to upgrade to new.......
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Yea I know what you mean about weight. My truck with full 90 gallon tank in bed and me (no other gear) is 9400...over my 9000 GVWR. Hook up any trailer and/or gear and ... prfffttt!!!

Front adapters I got off ebay. Don't forget the nuts that bolt the adapter to the axle. They cost around $7 a piece if you walk into Dodge. I couldn't find any local and was in a rush so I had DodgeParts.com over night them.

I purchased a DRW axle and swapped it out. The housing is identical. The brakes are identical - I used my old calipers and mounting hardware. This saved me from breaking the brake lines and having to bleed them (I tied them up during the swap). The axle shaft itself is longer on each side pushing the mounting surface of the hub out. If you look at pics between SRW and DRW you can notice a spacer added between axle face and brake rotor. I posted pics once....I'll look for them.

Yea - the body work was the expensive part as I couldn't do that myself. I have the long bed so I needed the full width hips. You can probably go with a bolt/glue on Mega cab fender flare and be done with it, if you are ok with that look. Really don't have a choice though as the full length Dually flares would cover your gas filler, right?

As for the 23,000 reasons why NOT to sell I know how you feel. I thought the same, but still after I completed the swap I should have just sold and bought a DRW from day one.

Still wondering if those 23,000 reasons will still be 23,000 reasons after you do the swap and try to eventually trade in/sell the truck. At least I'm worried about it.....

Good luck!!!

EDIT: Here are pics of the SRW and DRW axles. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...62&postcount=4

Last edited by NDanecker; 03-17-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added Link to pics
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lawdog800
I am way over the 9000 gvwr to start with with all 5 of the family in the empty truck its over 8000 lbs. I know where a Dually axle is or I can use adapters. Both are AAM 11.5 axles so I dont know if only difference is width or not. front axle is identicle just needs hub extenders $110.00 each from Dodge my cost. wheels I have found a few sets so far, just havent decided yet to spend money. Fenders or new box is the biggest ??? I bought this truck new and I have $23000 reasons NOT to upgrade to new.......
Seriously, find someone that has aftermarket wheels that have 2''-2.5'' stucking out from the wheelwell ( I have 2.5'' extented flares that I found on ebay for $130 all 4)....my truck rides like it's on a rail (guides), even at very high speeds. I've gone over big potholes going over 120mph and only for a split second did it loose it's bearing then right back on track.

The wheels made a big diff. on handling...alot cheaper and save some time, also cheaper when replacing tires.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Not intersted in big wide wheels but thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Find someone who wants to swap. Im scheduled to do the swap in 3 weeks. Found a member who was wanting to go from DRW to SRW and we're just gonna swap axles, beds and wheels.

Quick Reply: DRW and Fuel Economy ??? SRW to DRW COnversion