Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Shortbed hitch Reese? Pullright? help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortbed hitch Reese? Pullright? help.

I know this topic is quite searchable... but I've read all I can find and I'm still hoping a few folks might indulge me with info/experiences.

I'm picking up my truck in a few weeks and a new 5er in the spring. I've got some time to get a hitch chosen and installed, but I'd like to get it off my to do list early next year. I need a slider because I ordered a shortbed truck so I could garage it. I'm not inclined to get a really long kingpin extension OR just risk it and go without a slider. The Jayco is ordered with a 13" extension (though the factory rep told me it might end up with a 19" extension instead).

The choices of hitch seem to boil down to a Reese 16K quikslide or a Pullright 16K superglide. I think the Reese will run me about $700 vs the Pullright at $15-1600 - more than double. Price aside, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone out there with the Pullright who doesn't like it? (This logic convinced me to spring for the diesel. All diesel owners love them, while non-owners have a list of reasons they are not good...) Here are pros and cons I've thought of:

Weight
Pivot
The plate
Height

The Reese is lighter, so it takes away less capacity and should be easier to remove when I need the truck bed clear. The Pullright is heavier, but when it's out of the bed there are no rails left in the way.

The Reese is a 4 way pivot. I've been told this makes hookup easier and smooths your ride. The Pullright looks like a 2 way pivot, which might be harder to hitch up.

The Pullright adds a plate to the kingpin. If I understand it correctly that means I can only hitch up coming straight back. One of my storage plans would require me to jacknife the 5er at the end of my driveway, then hitch back up at 90 degrees (not sure this is possible or wise in any case, but I think it would be impossible with the Pullright). I guess the plate is also annoying if a non-Pullright hitch will move the trailer - eg at a dealer or for whatever reason.

The Reese has a height adjust. I think the Pullright does too, but I couldn't figure out how much it was. BUT, I'm not sure if I need the height adjust or not. I sure wish I had all the measurements now to check. It would seem that the height is determined by the sides of my truck bed and the height of the kingpin. Aren't both "standard"? Why adjust height at the hitch? Don't you just adjust at the 5er axle to match the truck?

If I've got any of this wrong, it might just come down to cost. Guess I'm looking for the silver bullets to sway me...
Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Re:Shortbed hitch Reese? Pullright? help.

Can't speak on the pullrite but we have been very happy with our reese. Hitched and unhitched at some pretty crazy angles. The slide is manually operated but very solid. The rails MUST be completely square or the slide will be difficult to operate.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:34 PM

I just installed a new 5th wheel hitch this past weekend, and chose the Valley Husky 16K. I looked thouroughly at the Husky, Reese, and the Superglide. In my opinion the Husky was a lot beefier than the Reese. The Husky also has a single jaw instead of the duel jaw of the Reese, which I viewed as a positive. Just seems a lot safer and one less part to deal with. The husky hitches can be viewed at;

http://www.valleyorders.com/public/APPLOOKUP.HTML
Old 12-08-2003, 04:21 AM

An interesting observation I have made is that in the last couple of years I have seen three rigs with damage to the cab and trailer. What was so interesting is that all three has sliding hitches and all three owners neglected to slide them back because they didn't thinks they it was needed in that situation. I guess they were wrong. I do know the damaged cabs probably cost more to fix than the cost of the Superglide. I don't have the Superglide, but I can sure attest to Pullrite's quality and customer service. And the latching mechanism is positive locking and very solid. Give them a call regarding your questions on the height adjustment and angle of hooking up issues. FWIW

Casey
Old 12-09-2003, 12:05 PM

I have the Pullrite SuperGlide and NO you cannot hitch up except at 16 degrees or less(straight back), it also means that you cannot tow any other trailer except your with the adaptor plate attached.
Now for the good and bad things:
It does leave the bed of truck free excetp for the 4 holes in the bed.
You don't have to remember to release the hitch and slide it back then remember to pull it up again.
It is harder to back into places because your pivot point does move as you back up turning.
It does cost $2500 installed.
You don't have to have grease on the plate.
It is a 4 way pivot plate.
If you won't to see pictures of it go to Members Photos #45.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:30 PM

I did some checking yesterday, my 04 is 3" shorter back window to center of box than my 01. I do have a Reese slider but never used it, but I will now. On my 01 I mounted the 5th 1" ahead of center and I pull a 34' Montana, I think I'll mount the 04 at center.

Old 12-14-2003, 01:30 AM

YOu may want to check with Reese and get the correct mounting setup. Most of the new setups don't require drilling thru the frame which is somthing that DC doesn't want you to do anyway
Old 12-14-2003, 10:31 AM

I had the Reese slider hitch once. My main gripe with it was there was no way to really confirm you had it locked in the rear position. You pulled the locking lever and almost could kinda feel it lock but it was not very reassuring. And if it were to slide foward while backing at an extreme angle the result's would be a mess.
I will bet the people who did not use it and wrecked their truck did so because it can be quite an ordeal to actually slide the hitch if you have not used it in a while.