Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV Advice/Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV Advice/Help

Due to personal reasons, I'm going to be vacating my house during the next few months. I'm looking at buying an RV type house trailor to hook up to my truck and hit the road. I know absolutely nothing about RV's, trailors, towing, etc. As you can see in my sig, my truck is a quad cab shortbed. I will have less than $20k to spend for the trailor; the 5th wheel hook-up, possibly an exhaust brake; an EGT gauge and a tranny temp gauge. I'm sure there are some other items that I failed to mention. I would be living in this trailor from now on. I was hoping that you guys and gals could give me some realistic advice before I actually visit a dealer.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill, I suggest you buy a good clean used model, instead of new. Let somebody else take the hit on depreciation.

You are just going to have to start looking. If you have any questions about a specific model, then post up about it and maybe somebody here might have one similar.

You may also try going to www.rv.net

They have forums for fulltimers, 5th wheels, travel trailers, motor homes etc. Lots of good info. They can probably answer your questions better than we can. Best of luck.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Bill, I suggest you buy a good clean used model, instead of new. Let somebody else take the hit on depreciation.

You are just going to have to start looking. If you have any questions about a specific model, then post up about it and maybe somebody here might have one similar.

You may also try going to www.rv.net

They have forums for fulltimers, 5th wheels, travel trailers, motor homes etc. Lots of good info. They can probably answer your questions better than we can. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice and the internet reference. I guess I should have tried there first.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"I suggest you buy a good clean used model, instead of new".
Excellent advise for anyone considering their first RV. Everyone has different preferences about layout, equipment, etc. Until you have used one for a while you can't be sure what fits you best. Even then, our needs and wants change with time.
There are a lot of good used models out there now so look around.

Dan
Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 PM
PCM

The rv market is fairly depressed and I'm sure the used market is flooded. Look on ebay, as well. I really suggest a fith wheel. Just watch your weights.
If you are going to be living in it, I'd look for what is considered a 4 seasons unit. May be a little difficult for $20k. But if you shopp the nation and take some time, you might be surprised what you'd find. Good luck. pcm

Something like this, perhaps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/28-20...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have time, hitting a big RV show will let you look at a big variety of models and floorplans.

Then search the internet for a used ones in the styles you like. They depreciate hugely in the first couple years, and everyone I know learns from their first RV what they really wanted. Nada will give you used RV values. Not the Bible, but useful.

Pulling the drawers out of the kitchen is a good way to gauge construction quality. The cheap ones will have press board, mid level and you will see particle board and screws, and the higher end ones will be plywood with dovetails and/or screws.

With a 3/4 ton short box, you will probably be able to get more living space w/o overloading anything with a tow trailer (5th wheels place about 20% of their weight on the hitch, so people and tools plus people in the truck will put you over rear axle weight quickly).

An enclosed, insulated underbelly will be a must for winter use. Other things I'd look at closely- many showers are higher than the bathroom floor, so if you are tall make sure there's enough head room. Look at how the entertainment center is relative to the sofas/chairs. Corner showers are nice (roomier, no curtain to get mouldy).

How large are you thinking you need?

Are you going to tow it once to a camp spot, or move around all the time?

Park in an RV park with full hookups, or out in the sticks with nothing or power only?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Good info here. Used, 4 seasons and a fiver is a good start. The one question is will you drag it around allot or park it somewhere?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 PM

If as you say, you are going to hit the road, be prepared for fuel sticker shock. That stuff is expensive, and gets worse depending on where you are going.
We just came back form 7 months on the road. I noticed Shell has a rebate plan, and of course, there are loyalty benes at Flying J and others.
RV parks are costly or cheap, depending, but the cheap and even the middle of the road ones, are limited on their services.
Plan ahead, since if you are snowbirding, you will run into maxed out campgrounds anywhere it is warm.
Since you are a first timer, plan ahead by calling several places for reservations, (snowbirds are booked a year in advance!) or check out State and Federal parks. County parks are often not filled, especially at Corpus Christi, TX.
Good luck
Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 AM

If you are looking for used check www.crankyape.com they have nice repos and will be much cheaper than a dealer.
They have a facility in Georgetown, TX, I don't know how far is it from you, but maybe worth looking into.

I have them nearby and have great units at 1/2 price of dealer. Thy are an auction place though, you have to wait until the unit you like is up for sale.

They have this 5th wheel currently, but they have several pull behind:

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp...emNumber=15287
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 AM

With a SB you will probably need a slider hitch if you go 5th whl. Some get by without one if the 5er has an extended pin box and the front of the rig is configured properly (sloped corners not square). I personally like the Pullrite Superglide but they are pricy and manual sliders are cheaper.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 AM

I've been RVing forever [ lifetime RVer ] , I've had many type's & kinds .
Bus's , trailers and motor home's .
A lot has to do with what suits you , and if you'r going to live in one , there are some things to look for , vs. a camper , more draws closets for living vs. more beds & open space for camping .
Another shot for used , I think that if you can find an Airstream for a good price [ I see more & more these days ] , those are the best , it used to be more so in the past , but many other brands have gotten better , with the fiberglass/plywood construction .
I also done a lot of repair on many , and a metal frame [ Airstream ] may others , is good if you end up with a plumbing leak , the wood frame in others can take a lot to repair .
But on the other side , if you need to do something to/through the outside skin , the aluminum & riveting can be a handful .
Just find lots of internet links for both the RVs & camping sites , many groups have a lot of good info on where to stay .
The biggest problem , may be if you need to be in a metro area [ for work ] and parking , another advantage of an Airstream , they get hassled less , maybe because of the lower profile & aluminum construction .

http://www.airforumscom/

http://www.freecampgrounds.com

http://www.rv.net/forum/

There may be mistakes in the links , my bookmarks no longer let me click & drag .
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
It is real obvious when you say "RV type house trailer" you are just starting to think about this thing.

The best advice on here so far is decide what you are going to do with it, how often, how long and where, then hit the RV shows. If you spend much time at all on the road, I highly recommend the fifth wheel over the bumper pull. Like John, I have had RV's of all types since 1973 from little Class C's to big Class A diesel pushers. Love my fiver best of all. But, you must make some decisions about usage before you ever even think about putting some money down on anything.

When you think you have a plan, come back and ask the question again.

Bob
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM

A fiver makes sense, but a Pullrite slder hitch is about $2k, which you need for a short bed. Look for a rig with aluminum walls & ceiling, as mentioned before. Mobil Scout/Sunnybrook is a good reliable unit, there are many.
For $18k you should be able to get perhaps a 32' with slides, 3-5 years old.
Check out pplmotorhomes.com , as it is the largest consignment dealer in the country. You can browse on line, look at floor plans, picturs, prices.
Pay attention to weight. Your truck should be able to handle about 13k max, legally. The trailer you get should weigh less than 9 or 10k, empty.
If & when you go to buy, bring someone whokows a lot about RVS. Get a check list to check everything is working. Look for water damage.
Good Luck!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM

Some good advice above - esp. regarding the triangle shower. 1½ years ago I started looking for a trailer to retire into and become a snowbird. I can't afford new and really can't afford to maintain 2 homes. So, I went to the local dealer who has a large lot/selection and leaves all doors unlocked so people can browse. He leaves you alone till you come to him, so I spent all day there looking and looking and looking at various sizes, configurations, etc., etc. Came up with some good ideas and thoughts - and questions.

The following weekend I went to RV row in Albuquerque and went from lot to lot, where they weren't so casual. Salesman would come out and talk, I'd tell him what I was looking for and they gave me a pretty good education in a hurry. A couple tried to scam me a bit, but most were very good and helpful. Spent all day there, too.

Then I started watching the local newspapers and bought a copy of RV Trader. It took just 2 weeks to find my 4 year old 30 footer at just ½ of retail. It's not perfect and needed a little TLC but it's exactly the layout I wanted, was basically sound and I'm happy with my choice.

Lar.