Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

rear mud/stone guards

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear mud/stone guards

We are pulling the TTup to Yukon and Alaska this June and July and am wondering if a wide mudflap across the back would be a good idea. either a solid one or one of those fringe type ones. Is there any advantage of one over the other?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:25 PM

If you are going off the highway much, use a solid one piece and I also cover the front of my Fith with masonite siding, trust me the rocks and gravel will and can play havoc on your rv. Goodluck and have fun,, Rick
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garnet Kid, a full flap across the back would be the best. Make sure the flap clears the road with the trailer attached and allow some space for the back end to go down when you hit a bump.
I hauled RV's for entertainment for a year, and I would attach a piece of plywood to the front of the trailer. There usually is a rubber strip on the front of the trailer on each side where the side and the front meet. Pull the strip out or move it off to the side where you put screws in. If you do this do not let the plywood rub against the front, the vibration will take the paint off.
Stan
Old 04-18-2004, 03:57 PM

Re: rear mud/stone guards

Originally posted by Garnet Kid
We are pulling the TTup to Yukon and Alaska this June and July and am wondering if a wide mudflap across the back would be a good idea. either a solid one or one of those fringe type ones. Is there any advantage of one over the other?
I have full-size mud flaps in front of and to the rear of my duals. They come to within 6" and 4" of the ground respectively (ahead & rear). After pulling numerous trailers, I've found this to be the best solution.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
The string guards are useless - - had that on the MH. They stop some pea sized stones and that's it. I have made a padded "bra" type panel for the front (underside) of my fiver out of naugahyde - - goes on with turn pins like used on boat canvas. Sure helps from flying rocks. I use the Mopar flaps on the rear wheels. Does a pretty good job.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
The string guards are useless - - had that on the MH. They stop some pea sized stones and that's it. I have made a padded "bra" type panel for the front (underside) of my fiver out of naugahyde - - goes on with turn pins like used on boat canvas. Sure helps from flying rocks. I use the Mopar flaps on the rear wheels. Does a pretty good job.
When I hauled my horse trailer around for fun, I had my equipment dealer spray Ultimate/Rhino on the front lower end of the trailer. Man what a job that did. No more damage from rocks and tar stains.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by induchman
When I hauled my horse trailer around for fun, I had my equipment dealer spray Ultimate/Rhino on the front lower end of the trailer. Man what a job that did. No more damage from rocks and tar stains.
Hey, that is a good idea. I don't think I would want to spray the front of my fiver, though.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Hey, that is a good idea. I don't think I would want to spray the front of my fiver, though.
I hadn't thought of the expense of naughahyde to the front of my aluminum and steel trailers either. What color is it? Brown? Brown on silver, naw. I like grey Ultimate on silver better.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by induchman
I hadn't thought of the expense of naughahyde to the front of my aluminum and steel trailers either. What color is it? Brown? Brown on silver, naw. I like grey Ultimate on silver better.
The CFO only knows one color - - everything has to be "taupe". Don't ask me what color taupe is, but when I can't figure out the color, she tells me it is taupe. Oh well. Seriously, black is the color.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some checking today and found a mudguard made by Ultraguard that is a one piece that goes across the rear and attaches to the bumper or another model that you can adapt to hang under and behind the hitch. I was hoping to go further back towards the tires but wouldn't be able to drop the spare if I did that. Got another two months almost to fiqure it out.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:31 PM

I have another suggestion for you. Make yourself a cover for the front of your truck. You will not regret it. Make it out of PVC pipe, 3/4", use 45 and 90's to make the contour you want. Use hardware cloth for the insert. Do not glue it - - you hold it together with the hardware cloth and ties. You can stop about the time you are ready to hit the nasties up on the highway, assemble it and attach it. You would need to fabricate some method of hanging it in place. I am making brackets to come out under the hood and thru the bumper. You could also put something where the license plate hangs in front. You can use a heat gun and bend the PVC to match the contour of the front of the truck. You will save chips in the front of the truck and headlight covers.

Bob
Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 PM

FiverBob, thanks for that one. I was thinking of that sometime ago. I made one to protect the honeycomb rad on my 25 Mclaughlin Buick out of copper tubing. I soldered a fine wire mesh to it and then coated the tubing and soldered wire mesh with the rubber type coating you can buy. Has worked well for over 20 years. I am going to look at making something similiar to protect the front of the dodge.