Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Powering IBM Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:54 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Powering IBM Laptop

I have been exploring my options with taking the laptop on trips with us. I ordered MS Streets & Trips, should be here soon.

Here's the deal. At first I thought I would get a small (100watt) cig lighter plug in inverter that I could use in my center console. THEN I got to thinking (this is where it usually gets dangerous) The AC box that powers my laptop is dropping it down to 16 volts (or something). Why can't I get an adapter that runs straight into the computer?

I looked around, found some that looked too cheap to be true ($25.00), and also found some that are too expensive to make sense, at that point I would just buy a 3 to 400 watt inverter that could be used for other things if needed.

What to you guys think? Get a small inverter, or get the DC to DC power cord?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
I have been exploring my options with taking the laptop on trips with us. I ordered MS Streets & Trips, should be here soon.

Here's the deal. At first I thought I would get a small (100watt) cig lighter plug in inverter that I could use in my center console. THEN I got to thinking (this is where it usually gets dangerous) The AC box that powers my laptop is dropping it down to 16 volts (or something). Why can't I get an adapter that runs straight into the computer?

I looked around, found some that looked too cheap to be true ($25.00), and also found some that are too expensive to make sense, at that point I would just buy a 3 to 400 watt inverter that could be used for other things if needed.

Here is what I did. I traveled a bunch for my company and needed to plug into seat power outlets on airplanes. I have a iGo Juice. It comes with different ends for differnt laptops, interchangable tips. It also has a port you can hang a cellphone adapter on.

One device for my cell and laptop. It is worth every penny. Good service from their tech people as well. Apparently they had a model that was giving them problems with Toshiba Tecra laptops. They send me a whole new unit for free.

Hub
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM

I just installed a 750 watt inverter under the drivers seat about a month ago and it has worked great. I work in construction so I am on the road quite a bit and it has been very nice to keep the laptop pluged in instead of always trying to find power after the batteries are exhausted.

I also plugged a sawzall into it a few days ago just to see and it ran it with no problem at all.

T398
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends on how you wire it. You can't give your laptop adapter 16 volts and expect 16 to come out. You will have to give it 120 volts. You can make an adapter/power supply to supply what it needs, however, you may be able to get the volts right but the current (amps) will be tricky.

By the time you mes with all that, you'll probably be better off with an inverter mounted somewhere out of sight. you could even run a 110 plug somewhere convienient. The plus to this is is can be used for other things you haven't thought of yet. The other adapter will be specefic for your laptop only.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PJ the best way to run the laptop is with its own factory power supply. An approprate inverter is only 30 bucks or so. Walmart or Lowes will have what you need and just plug it all up. I have a 200 watt from Lowes that runs my DVD, TV, and Laptop.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:48 AM
P.J
Banned

Thanks HID, that is prety much where I am heading. I want a portable one (one socket jobber) so I can use it in the car if needed someday. This laptop will probably end up being the only thing I ever use it for anyway (generator for the 5'er, 95% of the time spent at full hook up sites).

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a particular brand (again, smaller ones, under 400 watts)

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better off getting a inverter to power the notebook. Going with a cheap DC to DC power adapter will drain the notebook battery because the adapter can't supply enough voltage and current to power the notebook without help from the battery.
Does IBM offer a 12v adapter?

MikeyB
Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Does IBM offer a 12v adapter?

MikeyB
Well, yes the do. $73.00 plus shipping. It is like why even mess with it. I am not understanding how it is going to provide 16 volts from a 14.4 volt source.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 AM

The adapters are boosting the voltage using buck regulators and flyback transformers. But boosting the voltage also lower the current rating. The available wattage will be less.
Good notebook DC to DC adapters are not cheap.

MikeyB
Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 AM

PJ, I'd buy a small inverter and not look back. Don't buy anything rated much over 300 Watts because the wiring in the typical 20A cigarette lighter in our vehicles won't be able to support more.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Okay, I got one.

It's definitely of Chinese origin, but does the trick and looks kind of cool too.
Got it for $23.00 at Advance Auto. It's a 300 watt (surge), 150 watts running. Seems to run fine, I tested it out, no popped fuses, smoke or funny noises.
I can route the power cable down from the inverter (which is made to fit into the cup holder) into the under seat compartment and then route the power wire to the computer up from behind and into the top console where my laptop fits nicely.
Thanks again for the input.

Last edited by P.J; 10-14-2006 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Spelling, I'm lame.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:24 PM

Pretty cool. Looks like a beverage can!

MikeyB
Old 10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's what i used in the Motorhome, and plugged my Etrex in to the laptop and it worked as the locator for the Streets and tripps program. Pretty cool and cheaper than those new GPS units with a bigger screen. Now days you can also get an Air card and be online anywhere.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by P.J
Here's What I did:

You can see the inverter under the cup holder. That has enough juice to run prettymuch anything you want....it runs my lcd screen, dvd player, charges 24v tool batteries and eveything else I want it to do.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
that's what i used in the Motorhome, and plugged my Etrex in to the laptop and it worked as the locator for the Streets and tripps program. Pretty cool and cheaper than those new GPS units with a bigger screen. Now days you can also get an Air card and be online anywhere.

Would this 'aircard' be a wi-fi card, and if so do they have them for desktop/home type PC's? I'm taking mine with me in my travel trailer and would like to connect to the net, especially in the event of diesel problems

Quick Reply: Powering IBM Laptop