Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

'Nuther ATV Hauling Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'Nuther ATV Hauling Question

I have a cross-over tool box in my shortbed truck. I would like to haul my ATV in the back without taking the box out.
The tool box is of average size and the quad is a Polaris utility quad.
My three questions for folks that haul an ATV in a shortbed with a toolbox are:
1) How far can I expect the back tire to extend past the tailgate?
2) Would a bed extender be useful, or does most everyone else doing this experience their quad sticking out too far?
3) If I can't use a bed extender, can I use this to secure it? (Lousiana Guard Dog)

Thanks,
Rob

(I would be able to answer this myself, but I have not yet been able to procure a set of ramps to get the ATV in the back yet)
Old 01-20-2004, 07:38 PM

i haul on atv in mine (short box with toolbox) on occasion and havent had a problem yet. Usually haul utility quads. If and how far the quad extends past the tailgate seems to depend on how close to the cab/front of bed your toolbox is mounted (if you used the "j-bolts" to secure it, you could always just loosen them and slide it forward a bit temporarily).

Ive never had a problem securing them in the bed, just make sure to use the ratcheting tie-downs, not the cheapo cambuckle style.

Never seen that receiver device before, pretty cool, Id think with that and the ratchet straps the quad wouldnt be going anywhere

good luck
jeff
Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The Cajun who thought that up is a genius! That is really a neat setup.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:03 PM

and it works too...... i met a guy that has 1 and he loves it. Scott
Old 01-20-2004, 08:24 PM

The Louisiana Guard Dog is also available in a trailer mount model. Here is the website: Lousiana Guard Dog
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the LGD and nothing is more secure. No need for straps. You'll have to measure to see if it will fit.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:16 PM

what happens if your wheels are on the edge of your tail gate and those little gate cales decide to let go ???
Old 01-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Chapter President

Lightman,

How is the front held down? It looks like without straps on the front it would shift around.

CR
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM

How about just putting the front end of the quad up on the tool box. Then you could still close your tailgate to keep the quad secure. Also, all the normal tie down points will still work. As a side note, Harbor Freight has a pair of steel ramps on sale for around $40. Great deal! Let us know what you decide to do.

Diirk
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Thanks diirk,
I keep forgetting about Harbor frieght. They have a trifold ramp on sale for $80 (normal $110). Guy at the Harbor Freight store near my office said to bring in the internet price and he will sell them to me for that. That is the best price I have seen on this type of ramp. I emailed the owner of the Lousiana Guard Dog company and asked him my question about "will it work" if I have a tool box and am waiting for his reply. I have seen guys that put their front tires up on the tool box but I am not too crazy about doing that.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Been there, done that As you can see in my photo galery I used to have a short bed with a tool box. That only lasted about a year and a half then it was traded in for a long bed (much better). Now when going sown a dirt road I dont get rock chips in my tailgate and I can pull a trailer with my sportsman 700 in the back
Old 01-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Chapter President

ramcummins,

Where did you get the ATV rack? Afew years ago, my son-in-law built one that angled the ATV over the tool box and cab, but I like your better.

CR
Old 01-22-2004, 06:39 AM

Got the answer back from the owner of Louisiana Guard Dog:

"If you can load your bike onto your truck with as much as 2/3 of your back tires of the ATV on the tailgate, the Louisiana Guard will work. "

This statement was also in his reply:
"Once you have loaded, attached the LGD and tightened everything down, the LGD lifts up on the back and holds down at the same time, if that makes sense. It distributes the weight to the frame of the truck through the receiver to which it is inserted and it causes the ride to flow with suspension of the truck. With straps, you would have a bouncing effect and this could damage your gate straps. This eliminates bouncing."

He also said that on the web, they list 2 models but he has a universal prototype that is almost out. If you call the shop, you can order the universal one now.

Bought my ramp last night, now I have to put the ATV in the bed and measure.

~Rob
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM

crobtex
I built my atv rack. I love it because I can haul two atv's and still pull a travel trailer. I will have to see if I can find my pic of this and put it in my gallery.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Chapter President

Yes , I would like to have the pic. I want one for the same reason you built yours.....to pull TT and haul ATV without filling up the whole truck bed. I have a long bed with a tool box that cuts down on space. I can haul my Honda 4-Trax and still close the tail gate, but I want a "BIGGER" a ATV.

CR

Quick Reply: 'Nuther ATV Hauling Question