Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need new Tires for 5th wheel-What brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need new Tires for 5th wheel-What brand?

The tires on my 35 ft Jayco 5th wheel (12,000 lbs) are the Goodyear G159 size- 215/85/16, load range E. They look good (i.e good tread, no cracks, etc) but I noticed they were manufactured in 1998. Therefore, due to their age, I'm afraid to head into another camping season with them.

What would be a good replacement tire that is reasonably priced? Do they have to be "trailer" tires or can I put on a good load range E truck tire- Example- Firestone Steeltex- load range E??

What is your opinion?
Old 01-09-2005, 05:36 PM

I would recommend either putting the Goodyear back on or the Cooper trailer tires. Yes, You do have to run the trailer tires. The sidewalls are re-inforced, specifically designed for trailers.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For peace of mind, I'd highly recommend the Michelin XPS Rib. They are an all-steel construction (as opposed to the normal fabric-and-steel) radial recommended by Michelin for commercial trailer applications. In effect, they're a scaled-down version of the all-steel radials used in semi (Class 8) applications.

These tires are widely used as replacements by RVers who have had tire failures with other brands. I've never heard of a failure of an XPS Rib, and as a moderator on iRV2, I believe I would have seen any posts related to failures of this tire.

They're pricey, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Rusty
Old 01-16-2005, 05:56 PM

i would also go with what the moderator said i dont have the mitchs but the goodyears that are all steel like commercial 100 psi and have not had anymore tire problems.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Goodyears have been good to me for several years, they stand behind thier tires. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 01-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Take a peak at this thread. Goodyear has a new RST tire rated especially for the oddities of the forces placed on a trailer tire. Just put four on my fiver - - they look good and Goodyear is working with me on the damage done to my fiver when one of the old ones blew. Good company - - like many companies they have had a problem with a tire or two, but who hasn't - - even Michelin.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

Check out also the Goodyear website www.goodyear.com

Bob
Old 01-17-2005, 02:03 AM

You can also try the MAXXIS brand trailer tires. That's what came on mine and they have been real good to me so far.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Well, I finally found some tires for the 5th wheel at what I feel is a good price and quality. I can buy BFgoodrich Commercial T/A's 10 ply with warranty at SAM's Club for $103 each out the door- includes tax, mount, balance, road hazard, etc,etc.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-20-2005, 06:14 PM

Are they trailer tires?? BFgoodrich Commercial T/A's
Old 01-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Chapter President

I run the BFgoodrich Commercial T/A's on both my trailers and my truck.....I rotate the tires from my truck to my trailers.....I like the ideal of one size tire for both truck and trailer makes carrying a spare simple
Old 01-21-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by pappyman
I run the BFgoodrich Commercial T/A's on both my trailers and my truck.....I rotate the tires from my truck to my trailers.....I like the ideal of one size tire for both truck and trailer makes carrying a spare simple
Hey Pappyman that works OK for those guys with the older 1st & 2nd gens but not for those running 3rd gens. The tires are 17"

Somthing else to think about is the Commercial T/A's are Trailer tires and have different properties than actual car/truck tires.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM

Too my knowledge, the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A's are NOT specifically "trailer tires".

From making several phone calls to different tire stores, when you get into sizes 215/85/16's-Load Range E- they do not rate them as "trailer use only"- they are just classified as heavy duty use... I may be wrong, but this is what everyone has told me... They (the tire dealers) tell me "you can run these tires on a heavy duty truck or a trailer"?? Hope this makes sense....
Old 01-21-2005, 12:31 PM

I just checked my tire book, Blessed you are correct, any HD truck tire will work fine on a trailer, it's just the passenger tires that are to soft to carry the weight of a trailer.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by SuperGewl
Hey Pappyman that works OK for those guys with the older 1st & 2nd gens but not for those running 3rd gens. The tires are 17"

Somthing else to think about is the Commercial T/A's are Trailer tires and have different properties than actual car/truck tires.
The T/A's are not just for trailers I have used the T/A's for 8 years on the rear of my dually any 16" tire has load ratings on the sidewall I've never seen a 16" tire labled for trailers ?? most are labled LT (light truck) when y'all get to the 14-15" tires some of them are made special for trailer use and labled for trailers
Old 03-17-2005, 12:02 PM

I am sorry that I did not read this sooner.. To all you G159 heavy 5er's out there, that still have these tires, Goodyear has had MANY tread seperations/damage claims due to these tires coming apart on big 5ers. They came out with the RST tire as a result, same E rating, but an "ST" tire, made for the riggers of jacknifing/belt tearing when we back into tight spots, as well as other trailer requirements.
If asked, Goodyear will repace the G159's prorated to the RST's. I had a blowout, $3k damage. They replace ALL the (5)G159's for about $200, and they were 6 or 7 years old. Just tell then you had heard there were tread seperation problems and you want your tires replaced. Go to the Goodyear/RV site & send them an E to start the process. Goodyear wants RV business and now has, I think, one of the BEST "ST" "E" tires for our big HEAVY 5ers. They are designed for this, not an LT tire. LT=Light Truck, not HEAVY 5er. I suspect the BFG tires may be OK, but may suffer, just like the G159's, wrong application. What do tiresalesmen at SAms know?
A few other 5er owners on this site have the RST tires & are very pleased with them. Given they are an "ST" tire, I would rate them BETTER than any LT tire for heavy 5ers.
There is a good article on tires in the new TRAILER LIFE. It would do us all well to read it, it is excellent. Tires give us more grief over time than anything else. Having the right tire with the proper care is money saved, & time not spent waiting for tire change, or worse, $3-5k & 60 days in the shop for insuance work due to the wrong/old tires.
GoodYear took care of me over & beyond by a long way. I suspect tehy will do the same for any of you.

Quick Reply: Need new Tires for 5th wheel-What brand?