Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Looking into a toyhauler need advice and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking into a toyhauler need advice and suggestions

Well my gf and I are looking into getting a toyhauler and ditch the little utility trailer we have for the quads. Thing is i cant really decided on what to get and size.

I like the forest river toy haulers shockwave, sandstorm, or stealth but i have been able to find quite a bit of used weekend warriors for super good deals as well. We want to be able to take another couple out or have room for kids in the future so im thinking 26-28 foot trailer.

PRICE Im good at buying cars i always get under invoice using edmunds as a guide etc. But i cant find anyway to find out invoice prices or keys to buying trailers. Is there a site that can show me invoice I hate to pay retail and i would like to know what kind of price under MRSP i should be paying.

USED
What things should i look for besides the obvious like total miles driven or hours on equipment what are the main things i should be looking for

Thanks to all those who comment and help in advance

-Chris
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't buy mine used because it was the end of the summer and the deal was looking to clear the lot, so I got about $6000 off plus some additional freebies.

2008 Keystone Energy FS260 Toyhauler (26 foot, 31 overall)

They threw in the ball and mount for my hitch, RV cover, electronic brake controller with free install, black water flex pipe, 2 free LP refills, and a bunch of other stuff that I honestly can't remember.

If you're looking for new I'd recommend end of season sales since I got mine at the end of August and it was much easier to swing the deal I got.

Kris
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM

Look for: water! (leaks etc)
If it´s your first trailer buy something used and see if it works for you, layout etc. You´ll soon find out if you can live with that floor plan or if you need something else.

Kris is right, you get a better price at the end of the season. But with some patience you might get a good price right now. Still a buyers market
And if you buy used you might have all the bugs worked out and have a TH that is actually good. Buying a 1-4 year old TH used you´ll save some big $$$. Did I say it´s still a buyers market

I think you´ll find a nice TH, it just takes some time to find the right one.

Kris

PS: 3rd Kris (Chris) in this thread, interesting
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 AM

Thanks guys for the help and info. Ya will probably buy one end of the season or for me fire season ends in NOV so thats when we will be getting seriours probably just window shop all summer and find what we like and if something comes up great if not end of season and wheel and deal time.

I just hope SOCAL burns like a **** so i can make some money and pay off what little i owe on my truck. I hate to ask for forest killing fires but I need my money and only got 6 months to do it.

IF anybody has knows of a good dealer here in SOCAL that they would reccomend drop me a line. I dont mind even driving out of state or NORCAL.

Chris
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM

There isn't an end of season where CACalomino lives. The winter time is when you ride in the desert, the Summer you go to Pismo, Mammoth, or Big Bear, or run the AC and ride in the desert.

Dependin on where you camp you might want to get the axles flipped. Used ones might already have the axles flipped or you might want to get that done if you buy a new one. The don't go down the road as well but you have a better chance of not leaving the back half on the road in.

Weekend Warrior is out of business if you buy a used one the structure won't have a warranty unless you can get a dealer to throw that in.

I like a full time bed and the Misses will like a bed she can walk around much easier to make. If you're going to dry camp a generator is a good thing.

Sit on the crapper and make sure you fit. Stand in the shower make sure you fit.

Used it might be worth it to pay to have it checked out unless its only a couple of years old. I've never had any luck with refers or propane generators, they just seem to give up the ghost.

Buying PP make sure before you drive off the frige works on at least 110, then propane, forget about 12vdc.

Climb underneath and check the wireing, and water lines, check the brakesand lights. Ask for service records, and manuls for the appliances.

The solid fiberglass sides are stronger, weigh more, have less chance for a leak but cost more to repair when you stick a handle bar through it.

Good luck, and enjoy
Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want a highend unit and can afford it, take a good look at the C-Force by Carriage. They are no longer producing them, but they were super. Carriage is an expensive unit and construction is not the cheaper bonded wall construction like a lot of them. Great company, great product and they had some really good looking units. If you can find a good buy on a used one, jump on it. You have enough truck to handle about a 34'er in a Carriage.
Bob
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM

n2moto is right we ride year round up here well at least i do 110 degrees does not scare me.

Well i like the weekend warrior because i can get one at a steal right now but im alittle scetchy about buying used in fear of it having the water tank contaminated or not knowing all the things to look for. I can see the little things like wiring but what about the generator how many hours is to many and how can u tell if the axeles have not been serviced properly. I guess I could always take it to a dealer let them do there thing after i buy.

Well we will c what happends

I apreciate the input and info alot

Thanks Chris
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 AM

CAC - if you're looking at new, automatically take 33% off MSRP to start your negotiations. RV's have a much higher markup than trucks and cars...
Everybody's got good thoughts about what to look for - I won't add more.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM

WOW 33% nice now i just need to find a dealer willing to deal like that.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah 25% off is a place to start. Getting below that just gets it better.

Avoid anything from Keystone. 100% complete and total crap. I can say that because I have one.

Rob
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Chapter President

Just another thought, but I'd keep the utility trailer TOO, so you don't have to load up the toy hauler to take the bikes for service, short trips, etc.. Just a thought.

Good luck with the search.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Ya I was thinking that for short trips here in the desert. I do most the maintece myself but ya if i had a prob i could not fix i would have to take the toy hauler or make two trips in my truck.

One ? i had was what kind of A/C heater unit should i get How many BTU's etc I think they have options to get bigger units

Also whats the best generator to get size capacity's. They to my suprise and delite have a onnen I believe cummins powered one from the factory.

CHris
Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Get the biggest trailer you can afford. I'm on my third toybox and finally ended up with a 40' 5ver. I started with a 21' Weekend Warrior, then 33' Rampage 5ver and now the 40' Gearbox 5ver. A fifth wheel tows better and is easier to maneuver. As far as what brand is better than the other- they are all junk, buy what floor plan you like and what colors you like. For the most part they all have the same appliances and roughly the same tank capacities. Whatever direction you go I'd stay away from the light weight trailers (superlites, waylites, etc.) because they are just made from thinner material and won't hold up in the long run. Eric
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Agreed with "get the biggest you can afford" comment.
Also, think about if you want a unit with a separate garage or one where you roll up the carpet an fold up the couches.
I wanted a separate garage and ended up with a Keystone Raptor.
It is a fifth wheel, 33 foot, garage is 10 foot long.
I can fit 2 full size utility quads in it (and my dirtbike will fit sideways when the quads are in it). There are 2 queen bunk beds that drop out of the ceiling with the push of a button. We haven't used these yet though because of no kiddos.
I wanted to keep the dirt/grime/gas smell etc. from the quads as isolated as possible from the main living area.

~Rob