Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?

My Jordan brake controller cable has been sticking lately... I've tried adjusting it differerent ways.

I thought at first the screw that holds the cable housing to the kick panel was too tight so it might be gripping onto it when you let off the brake pedal but I even tried taking taking that off completely and the problem still occurs.

Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you called Jordan and if so what did he say? A jordan brake controller is one of the next things on my list, and from everything I've read, he's a pretty helpful guy. Maybe Fiverbob can help, he has one.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:16 AM

I had the problem...

I originally mounted mine on the ashtray which left an "S" turn in the cable. Worked good for a couple of months. Then it started sticking. I remounted it on the knee bolster so that the cable was straight to the pedal. Cured all the problems and has worked flawlessly since then. Jordan will tell you what you can lube the cable with also. Mine has been on for over 100,000 miles.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: I had the problem...

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I originally mounted mine on the ashtray which left an "S" turn in the cable. Worked good for a couple of months. Then it started sticking. I remounted it on the knee bolster so that the cable was straight to the pedal. Cured all the problems and has worked flawlessly since then. Jordan will tell you what you can lube the cable with also. Mine has been on for over 100,000 miles.
Thanks for the tips. Mine is just off to the right so there is a slight S bend but not a huge one.

I'd definitely be happy to relocate the box if it solves the problem. I tried lubing the cable but it didn't seem to help. It feels like it is only sticking under light braking. When it finally "lets go" you hear a little click from the control box. Sounds like the spring or cable retractor might be weak or something. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Jordan Controller

Definitely call the big guy - - he usually answers the phone. The smoothest operation is to have the box in line with the cable. The second important thing is how you bend the fastener for the cable - - The little tip can be bent to smooth out the operation. You can see my installation in my member photos, page ten.

1-800-533-0306
Old 12-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Hey haulin, don't want to bring up bad memories but are you back up and running?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by trailblazenyj
Hey haulin, don't want to bring up bad memories but are you back up and running?
Yep, have 100 miles on it. Runs good. Doing a couple days more work on other things and then it is back to work...
Old 12-28-2003, 08:36 PM

glad to hear it
Old 12-29-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Yep, have 100 miles on it. Runs good. Doing a couple days more work on other things and then it is back to work...
Uh oh... sounds like somethin broke?

hey haulin BTW, do you use chains or wheel rachet straps or regular old ratchet straps on your trailer?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:47 PM

My trailer is set up with chains and use them most. I have several straps that I use when the chains do not line up or special loads. Regular old $16 straps from Sams work as well as them made for the car hauling.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:53 AM

I had the same problem, plus the slipage of the cable in the cable holder. Seem like I was always adjusting it.

That's some of the reasons why I went to the Prodigy!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:43 AM

Haven't tuched my jodran since I put it in, works perfect.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
Haven't tuched my jodran since I put it in, works perfect.
ME TOO! The concensus seems to be those that have had problems with sticking tightened the sheath bracket too far and pinched the sheath onto the cable. From all I have heard, Jordan will gladly send you a new cable sheath if you are having a problem. He really stands behind his product.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
ME TOO! The concensus seems to be those that have had problems with sticking tightened the sheath bracket too far and pinched the sheath onto the cable. From all I have heard, Jordan will gladly send you a new cable sheath if you are having a problem. He really stands behind his product.
My cable is sticking inside the box! Argh. I relocated it to be straight in line with the brake pedal and it helped a little but now I can't see when it sticks so that is not good! Jordan said to send it back which I will do when I get home !
Old 01-10-2004, 09:09 PM

With my Jordan, the cable slipped in the mounting bracket, could not get it to tighten up. Had to put tape around cable in order to make more tension so the cable would not slip.

Another problem, the cable would not release all the way, I was always having to lift up on the peddle to make the light go off.

If I had mounted the mounting bracket on the brake peddle any higher, I would not get the right travel that Jordan recommends. And then to get it any higher you would have to be a midget to get it up higher!

I love my Prodigy, and have no intension of going back to the Jordan. Maybe the Jordan worked for you, and it did for me, but it took alot of messing with for it to work properly. The Prodigy you just plug in and GOOOO! I like that!

I'm glad you guys are happy with your Jordans, it did work for me also. I just like the simplisity of the Prodigy. And for me the Prodigy work better for my setup.

I think they are both good controllers, it's just a matter of what makes you happy. Not try to flame anyone or Jordan, just my experience with the two of them.

Quick Reply: Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?