Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm....I was leaning more towards the Jordan in my quest for a brake controller, but after reading this thread it almost seems like the Jordan is prone to trouble. What's the deal here? I don't want something that I constantly have to work on in order to get it to work right.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The jordan works mechanically, so it's going to have more problems than an all-electric. Jordan must be set up properly, and wear is an issue because there is a cable and moving parts. I'm sure it's a good controller, but logic says that the jordan has more possibility of having problems than the prodidgy.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:08 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking. Another thing I thought of today, the Prodigy has the advantage of being easily moved to my wife's Trailblazer if need be. All I would need is a separate wiring harness. The Trailblazer is of course no towing monster, but on occasion there may be a need to pull a small cargo trailer with it.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
How many people have had trouble with their Jordan - - stand up and holler. (Hmmm, I only hear one) Only teasin' guys, so let's not flame.

Are we saying electronics don't have problems? I think we all know better than that.

Read the comments from the guys who are on the road all day long and see what controller they use. I will tell you, after using both, I would still use the Jordan even if I had to replace it every year - - it is that much smoother and easier to use and I feel that much safer on slick pavement than I ever did with my Prodigy. I thought the Prodigy was the best - - really did, until I drove a friends truck in an emergency that had a Jordan. I suddenly realized how smoothly the rig braked. Looked down at the controller - - Jordan. I had never heard of it before that.

Hey, we could argue this one all day. Try one - - you'll like it. You won't go wrong either way.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:14 PM

No argueing here, I'm just saying that all things being equal, a non-mechanical controller has less of a chance of problems than a mechanical one. This is why radios and tv's and similar items are solid-state now and not run by vaccum tubes. I pull something at least 4 days a week, with loads varying from 2,000lbs to 20,000lbs and the work truck has a voyager in it. Definately not the best controller, but it gets the job done. The Jordan is probably the best controller and smoother, but personally, I don't want to hassle with setting up cables and such. I can just plug in a voyager or prodigy. To be honest, I've never had a problem with the controller. I've had problems with connections in the trailer and plug on the truck, even had a short in the brake wire once, but no problems with the actual units. We've been running voyagers in our work trucks for 6 or so years so far. Personally, I wouldn't get a voyager if I had the choice. I've pulled once with a friend's truck who had a prodigy, and it was WAY better then the voyager. Never pulled with a jordan, and I doubt I will because I don't want to hassle with it. Not knocking Jordan at all, just personal preference. Hoss has a good point too. You can pretty easily swap a prodigy into another vehicle just by unpluging it.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
How many people have had trouble with their Jordan - - stand up and holler. (Hmmm, I only hear one) Only teasin' guys, so let's not flame.

Are we saying electronics don't have problems? I think we all know better than that.

Read the comments from the guys who are on the road all day long and see what controller they use. I will tell you, after using both, I would still use the Jordan even if I had to replace it every year - - it is that much smoother and easier to use and I feel that much safer on slick pavement than I ever did with my Prodigy. I thought the Prodigy was the best - - really did, until I drove a friends truck in an emergency that had a Jordan. I suddenly realized how smoothly the rig braked. Looked down at the controller - - Jordan. I had never heard of it before that.

Hey, we could argue this one all day. Try one - - you'll like it. You won't go wrong either way.
Dadgum Bob....now you got me leanin' back towards Jordan.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
Dadgum Bob....now you got me leanin' back towards Jordan.
Dadgum, Hoss . . . . that is what life is all about - - choices. We make good ones and then we really mess some up. Amazing how it usually averages out if we make them with the right motive.

PhilosopherBob
Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Banned

get the jordan
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 AM

I think I will. I've decided that when picking a brake controller your main concern should be safety, not convenience. Based on the way they're designed to work, I think the Jordan is capable of stopping trailers on any road surface more safely.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:25 PM

Sometimes on here I think that people, probably unintentionally, give the impression that if you don't have a jordan, or prodigy, or whatever, that you are in danger and will not be able to stop your trailer. This is just not true. Any controller you buy, when set up properly, will be able to stop a trailer. Whether it is a jordan, or the cheapy at NAPA. As I said before, we have voyagers in our work trucks. In my opinion, these are near the bottom of the brake controller world. They are picky and have to be set right, and still not terribly smooth. But they do work, and I've never felt in danger or unsafe while using one pulling 20,000lbs. I'm sure that the jordan is unimaginably smoother than the voyager, but both will stop a trailer, and both are safe. I'm not putting down the jordan, or prodigy or anything, just trying to clear this up for people who don't know that much about controllers. Yes, the jordan is good, but that doesn't mean that the other ones are unsafe.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM

Note I said MORE safely. I wasn't implying that the others were NOT safe.

To me, being the logical thinker that I am, the Jordan is just a better design. Just something about having the truck and trailer working TOGETHER instead of independently makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm sure both controllers are great....but I think I like the Jordan better. Everything has good and bad. We just have to weigh those and see what suits our needs the best.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a Prodigy and love it. I drove a truck with a Jordan once, and it didn't seem any better or worse than the Prodigy. Haven't tried either of them in snow or anything and hope I never have to. But after driving both, I am still happy with my Prodigy. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:43 PM

Hoss, I wasn't refering to you, just the general feeling from the forum. I just don't want the guy who pulls his 16 foot trailer twice a month to get the impression that he's got to buy a $100+ brake controller or he will be in danger or a safty hazard. That's all I'm trying to say.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:50 PM

One more thing to think about.

Being that most of our trucks have ABS brakes, when you stop on wet or icy roads you don't pump your brakes. Therefore, the braking on the Prodigy is proportionate to the truck braking, you are not over braking like you would with the Jordan. This will give you more control of your vehicle.

With the Jordan, when icy with ABS brakes, while holding your brake peddle down to actuate the ABS your Jordan would be on at almost full bore, causing your trailer to lockup.

I know FiverBob is in Flordia and doesn't experience alot of this type of situation. Myself, I'm in the Pacific Northwest and experience this allot.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:06 PM

Actually that can work against you. If in fact you are sliding the prodigy will not sence enough slowing down force and may not give you enough brake, or any brake in the right situation. It can go either way.

Quick Reply: Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?