Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Missouri is famous for ice storms, too. I foolhardedly started out for town from the dorm with several other guys to get pizza in one of their ice storms. We went REALLY slow but had to stop at a light. As we sat there waiting for it to turn green, the car slowly slide sideways into the curb. I turned it off and we walked back to the dorm after putting rocks under the wheels so it would not slide down under the overpass. Yep, best not venture out in that stuff.

As for my fiver, Scotty Baby - - bring Punta Dunta down here where it is nice and warm and I will park it out at Myakka State Park for you guys so you can have a nice sunny Florida vacation. You can bicycle, canoe, chase alligators, fish, hike, sun yourself and lift your little concrete *****. (now don't ya'll get excited over that if you don't know what we mean).

LikeMyFiverAndDon'tWantToGiveItAwayBob - - even to you, Scotty - you big galoote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Leavemyconcreteshperesouttathisbob

We are on our way.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided to do some research on the jordan, and I found a couple of things that maybe you jordan guys can answer. First, jordan's website says that you can mount the unit up to 18 inches either side of the brake pedal without problems. On this thread, there are at least 3 people who had problems and had to mount the unit in line with the brake pedal for it to work. So, is this a problem that a few people encounter, or does it need to be mounted in line with the brake pedal. Also, the installation instructions say"It is recommended that the control module be removed when you are not towing your trailer for extended periods of time." How many of you actually do this, and has anyone worn the mechanical components out?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I am only answering your post because I am afraid that someone not experienced in the snow would try what you are suggesting. Number one, the boost on any controller in the snow will kill you. No good driver would use the ABS as you suggest. If that’s rude, I am sorry, but there are novices on here that may listen to that talk. The driver controls the brakes, with a very light and careful pedal. And yes, I got your message, loud and clear.

I might mention that Snoqualmie is not so bad in the snow unless you take the old road, then you have your hands full. It never ends till Seattle. Forth of July and Cabbage will give you a good driver test in the snow. Use your method on Cabbage and you will end up in the snow on the slope at the curve on the bottom. Saw one do a flip off there with his brakes smoking, and it was dry. Coming down the hill through the tunnel from Chelan can be exciting in the snow too. But then…. What do I know, I’m from Alabama.

I am not trying to be rude as you said, I am trying to get you to think a little, using ABS that way and boost on the trailer will kill you. There is no such thing as an emergency stop in snow or the 6 to 8 inches of hard pack that you get on your freeways, that stop is rather abrupt. I’ll give you something to do one day, drive east from where you are up to the pass, get on the westbound side and climb up on your truck and look over the 8-foot retaining wall. There is a mess of trucks down there, too steep to retrieve. That’s why they have the wall. That is what can happen if you don’t know how to drive in the snow.

I did it one time on the ice, flipped an 11,000 gallon LNG tanker, you have not jackknifed yet, I can tell, it gives you great respect for the snow. Bob, stay off those brakes in the snow, the computer can mess up easy, especially with ice on the rotors. Before you realize that you are in trouble, you will be looking at the side of your trailer. It happens that fast.
Haulin_in_Dixie,

I have given accurate information while driving with ABS brakes. You don't have all 4 ABS, so you haven't experienced their performance.

I know you don't agree and it is clear that we will not agree on this subject. For some reason the things that I am trying to relay are getting turn around by you. I think you may have misunderstood me or I didn't make myself clear. I never said anything about slamming on the brakes and allowing the ABS to stop my rig during normal operations, I did mention the use of ABS in unexpected emergency stops. Any GOOD driver who has ABS would use the ABS the way they are intended to be used in emergency stops. That is the only time I refered to ABS, emergency stops.

I have always agree with you that under normal stopping, the driver does control the stopping with a light foot and controlled braking weather it be ice, snow, rain or dry roads.

Snoqualmie not bad? That's why they closed it down shortly after I went over it. Check with Washington State Transportation Dept on 12/27/03 for closure time. I have driven Fourth of July, on a almost daily bases (only 12 mile from where I live), I have also driven Cabbage quite often, you fail to mention Lookout or White Bird which I drive often, both are allot worst than Fourth of July. White Bird would be on a par with Cabbage.

I am sorry I have not made myself clear and you have misinterpreted my posts.

Hoss,

For some reason my post have been misunderstood, I tried to explain again to Haulin_in_Dixie in my post above, however I'm not sure he will understand what I am try to say. For this, I am sorry and appoligize to him and to you if you have also misunderstood me.

I have experienced both controllers. Both are good and you will be happy with either one. I never said that the Jordan was bad, in fact I stated that it performed well for me and I liked it. The thing I didn't like about it, was for some reason I had a continual adjustment problem with the cable. I'm not saying that the Prodigy is better than the Jordan, but my experiences with the Prodigy have been trouble free and it's working very well for me. The only reason I posted on this tread is because of the title "Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?", which I had experience. I was just sharing my experience with the Jordan.

I notice that you have an 03, your braking will be different than what Haulin_in_Dixie is experiencing on his truck.

Enjoy your controller, which ever one you choose.

I will not post on this subject again.
We'll talk with you on other posts.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too did some research on the Jordan and noticed the exact same things. Disconnecting the cable when not towing is not big deal in my opinion...especially considering that I'll only be towing about once a month. I did wonder about the 18" thing though.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Big Bob
Hoss,

For some reason my post have been misunderstood, I tried to explain again to Haulin_in_Dixie in my post above, however I'm not sure he will understand what I am try to say. For this, I am sorry and appoligize to him and to you if you have also misunderstood me.

I have experienced both controllers. Both are good and you will be happy with either one. I never said that the Jordan was bad, in fact I stated that it performed well for me and I liked it. The thing I didn't like about it, was for some reason I had a continual adjustment problem with the cable. I'm not saying that the Prodigy is better than the Jordan, but my experiences with the Prodigy have been trouble free and it's working very well for me. The only reason I posted on this tread is because of the title "Jordan 2020 brake cable sticking?", which I had experience. I was just sharing my experience with the Jordan.

I notice that you have an 03, your braking will be different than what Haulin_in_Dixie is experiencing on his truck.

Enjoy your controller, which ever one you choose.
I don't really recall ever questioning you on anything you said...so I'm not sure where that post came from, but okay. I'll let you and Haulin' decide which one of you is the better driver. Doesn't really matter to me. I can see both of your points and I think you're probably both right to a certain degree....although I gotta admit I do not like the idea of having a Prodigy in slick driving conditions...just based on what I know of how the Prodigy and the Jordan works. That's just me though. To each their own I suppose.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Jordan. I like that it works mechanically. I can work on and fix mechanical things myself. If something happens inside that little Prodigy computer all I can do is scratch my head. Aside, from that, I like the way the Jordan works. I like the idea of ME controlling the brakes....not the computer. But again, that's just me.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by erics76
I decided to do some research on the jordan, and I found a couple of things that maybe you jordan guys can answer. First, jordan's website says that you can mount the unit up to 18 inches either side of the brake pedal without problems. On this thread, there are at least 3 people who had problems and had to mount the unit in line with the brake pedal for it to work. So, is this a problem that a few people encounter, or does it need to be mounted in line with the brake pedal. Also, the installation instructions say"It is recommended that the control module be removed when you are not towing your trailer for extended periods of time." How many of you actually do this, and has anyone worn the mechanical components out?
When I had it mounted on the ashtray, it had an "S" turn on the cable, where it ended at about the level that it started, it worked fine, after about six months it began to have cable sticking problems. I moved it to the direct line area and the problems went away. It has been hooked up for over 100,000 miles, works great. On ly time it was disconnected was when I pulled the dash for the heater core. Disconnecting the cable is real easy, just pull out on the cable and move it over through the slot and let go of it. Hooking it back up is the same deal. I never disconnect mine.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:34 AM

Any cable mounted in a sheath and having to make turns can stick eventually unless the forces on it are great enough to overcome the sticking. I mounted mine on the knee bolster directly in line with the brake pedal. Works great, easy to see, easy to reach in an emergency.

Unhooking the cable module takes about 5 seconds. Whew.

I think Haulin can unfurl some weaknesses in the Prodigy construction also. Nothing is perfect - - well, maybe something - - like Hoss. We luv ya, man.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 AM

Why Bob....are you saying I'm perfect??
Old 01-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Hoss
Why Bob....are you saying I'm perfect??
What was I saying?

Had a rough night.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:02 AM

SURE you did. We all know what you meant.