Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

I need my 5th wheels hitch installed ASAP, and I need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need my 5th wheels hitch installed ASAP, and I need help!!!

Does anyone have any pictures or specific details regarding the installation of a Reese 15k slider hitch? Pictures would be great too. I just got mine today, and the instructions don’t seem very clear. I plan on going camping this Friday and need the hitch installed before then.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What part do you not understand? Do you have the rails mounted in the bed of the truck yet?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you using the universal rail mounting kit?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Looks like an 03 will need a kit like this.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-50040-6008.htm

It's a clamp on kit that goes over the frame rails. Once that is installed, you drill holes through the floor of the bed to mate with the tabs in the mount brackets. The long bars (bed rails) will bolt through the bed to the frame clamp brackets.

The hitch head will need to be assembled, and then it will sit on the rails and will be held in place with pins.

Once it's installed, you will need to do a combination of adjusting the hitch and pin box heights to insure your trailer is being pulled as level as possible AND that you have enough bed clearence. You don't want to smash your tailgate against the bottom of the trailer as you pass over humps.

Also, take your wrenches with you and stop occasionally and make sure all the bolts stay tight.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Just a plain ole guy

You may be ok with an 03 as far as the wiring goes. if you have the trailer package allready, you should have thge 7 way plug by the license plate bracket, and most pigtails will reach.

Do you have an electric brake controller?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I think I was just not understanding where the brackets went. I finally understand them. I now have the rear brackets mounted, and they’re even. The match up with the front rail too. However, the brackets for the front rail are not flush with the frame. They’re each off about ¼ inch. Can I use spacers for the front brackets? Once the front brackets are installed, I’m finished and can tow my new (to me) 5th wheel this weekend. Again, thanks for all the help. Also, I wish I would have purchased the kit you mentioned, 1-2-3. I hate drilling through my frame!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Ok, my hitch is in, and it tows great. The instructions that came with my Reese hitch say, "These instructions are guidelines only..." I finally mounted the front rail the same way as a Chevy (saccording to the directions) should be mounted. Everything fits great now!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Just a plain ole guy

How did you end up mounting your bed rails to the frame? I got the kit I mentioned installed this weekend and it went fairly well. it too had the guidelines clause in the instructions. it gave demensions only to the front bed rail so we set the hitch in after the front rail was mounted and let it be the guide. That relly worked out well. The instructions actually placed the hitch 1.5 inches in front of the rear axle. I was kinda hesitent to do this and almost adjusted it to be directly centered over the axle, but when we mapped out all the holes on the bottom side, directly over would have put bolts right into a shock mount.

I tried the trailer with it this morning and it was all just fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
How did you end up mounting your bed rails to the frame? I got the kit I mentioned installed this weekend and it went fairly well. it too had the guidelines clause in the instructions. it gave demensions only to the front bed rail so we set the hitch in after the front rail was mounted and let it be the guide. That relly worked out well. The instructions actually placed the hitch 1.5 inches in front of the rear axle. I was kinda hesitent to do this and almost adjusted it to be directly centered over the axle, but when we mapped out all the holes on the bottom side, directly over would have put bolts right into a shock mount.

I tried the trailer with it this morning and it was all just fine.
My hitch is about an inch or so in front of the axle too. I finshed the install Friday and went on a camping trip Saturday. It towed great, and the trailer didn't fall off. So I guess I did ok. Next time I install a 5th wheel hitch, it wont take 4 days.