Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

heavy towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 AM
DRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a CDL and drove for a time so I think I understand the logistics. It's just I can't fathom having to pull that much up a hill with a pickup. As it sits now with my "light" trailer, it works the bag of the ol' Dodge.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on the hill tho i've seen a few where i will put in 4 lo to climb of course those are on private roads. most of the time my loads are only 15k or so on the trailer
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM

i know what you mean about people saying they haul heavy. they freak when i tell them that my truck is registered for 38k gross wieght. i have scaled out at 45k+ a few times going real short distances not crossing statelines i hotshot here in east Texas and it all oilfield equipment that is not light most of the time. as for watching out for other people it is a pita. the thing that gets me is the guys running down the road with no d.o.t numbers on their trucks.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
SWC

Good to hear you guys posting your weights.
I used to farm and towed heavier then I do now with a less capable truck. So much of towing heavy is knowing the truck and trailer, where you are going and the kind of traffic you will be driving in. I have done things that have taught me valuable lessons but fortunately never endangered my life or the lives of others.
My hat is off to you guys that use your Cummins powered trucks to earn a living. There is a part of me that would like to do that as well.
Stan
Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 PM

15,000 trailer-cargo weight
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DRD
Wow, trucks must be better down south. Pullling my 12K trailer through the mountains is enough for me. I couldn't imagine going that slow over a pass and then riding the brake that hard down the other side.

I don't know that I would say that the truck are 'better' because all of our truck come off the same production lines and are equipped pretty much the same.

What makes the difference is how we 'build' them to tow and do what we do with them.

I am not a commercial hauler, but I am very particular about my truck and stay on top of everything, it has to go down the road in as perfect a condition as I can maintain it in. Just to NOT ride the brakes down grades, I installed an exhaust brake to assist me in that downhill stuff. Since I drive a stick, I can use my gears, but the exhaust brake is the real deal in the equasion.

Some of my additions suspension-wise came about to better my trucks performance when towing. I have draft horses, Shires, they weigh upwards of 2500 pounds each, 4 up in my stock trailer equals 10K+ pounds of just the horses, then add the trailer weight and also add their associated hay and other needs, the load starts to grow exponentially. When my big guys decide to dance the mexican hat dance while going up/down grades or in curves, they are REAL noticable back there, you can feel their every movement and it does affect how you go down the road. I drive more miles in twistie turns, up and down hills/mountains than flat, my truck has never left me with any reason to not trust it's performance capabilities, but then, I also drive sensibly, and that is truly what makes a difference.

If I was just towind dead weight, strapped down to a trailer, I could fly at greater speeds, etc. Since I am hauling animals, that can affect your every steering move, brings new meaning to the whole picture.

CD
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM

hey CD what do you do with them big ponies
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Some people gave me a whole bunch of crap for hauling 43k from nebraska to alaska in 05 with a 3/4 ton. I put on airbags, had G-rated tires, jake brake, never drove over 50 mph, trailer was 40' with two 12k axles and I only drove at night. No issues. Now I have the dually and I tow the dozer which weighs in at 17k, and the 35' trailer. I believe I weigh in at 33k. No problems. I wish I would have gotten a bigger trailer so I could haul the 8,000lb backhoe with me at the same time.