Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

heavy towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I hotshotted with my buddy we hauled 38k+ all day long 12k for 42' float GN, 8k for truck, and 18k of pipe. Some loads were pushing almost 48k, generators, workstations, etc. Sometimes had to get a push up the hill out of the rig (2wd dually) it was weighed down so much. Get rolling and you're fine.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrLuckey
Keep in mind that hauling 18-20k across the flatlands is way easier than hauling 12-14k on single lane mountain roads with steep grades and switchbacks.
i've hauled 24k in hay and other out of southern colorado and northern new mexico and 12k loads into the same area and some loads into places that where a wagon trial heavy is heavy just gotta know how to work it
Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 36' elite and a 26' performance both gn the performance is tandem sinles and the elite is tandem duals with 12pound axels, the 26' i dont go past 12k with it and the 36' i dont go past 18k with it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys are in a whole other league compared to what I will haul. My heaviest load is coming up in a week or so. I will be moving a broke down Army Duece and a half from Richmond to Hampton VA. About a hundred miles at 28,000 lbs. GCVW
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM

yea thats a lot more then i would trust my truck to do. i know the motro and tranny could handle just the rest of the truck not to sure about
Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by rich
i've hauled 24k in hay and other out of southern colorado and northern new mexico and 12k loads into the same area and some loads into places that where a wagon trial heavy is heavy just gotta know how to work it
Exactly, so I would assume that you agree that pulling 20k across fairly flat ground is 'chump' pulling compared to dragging 14k downhill on single lane crappy mountain roads with switchbacks and 3000'+ vertical dropoffs right?

If you're trying to say the two are equal...well....no they aren't.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Not sure what my Tandem 32' Gn weighs empty. But reguarly haul our Fecon which weighs around 14 to 15k with a spare fecon cutter head around 3k. Also usually have a full off road tank & a crap load of tools in the truck.. Not to mention all my pullin is in the Mtns of WNC East Tn & south east VA... Weight never has bothered me that much..just don't like hauling over width..too many idiots try & pass ya when there is no room
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Pulling heavy loads is fine, until you have to stop. I hope the brakes on your trailers is up to the task. I am sure you will be OK if you run into someone or injure somebody at 30, 40 or 50k. I am not sure what the trooper will have to say or write. Not sure I want to know.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by supr
Pulling heavy loads is fine, until you have to stop. I hope the brakes on your trailers is up to the task. I am sure you will be OK if you run into someone or injure somebody at 30, 40 or 50k. I am not sure what the trooper will have to say or write. Not sure I want to know.
those of us who haul commercially routinelly deal with inspections from the state troopers. our equipment is in better shape then most of the people who run down the road in their rv's and personal stuff. next time your going down the highway look around and see who's towing what and how the drive you'll be suprised as to what you see
Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by supr
We don't all drive in Houston traffic. I have been stopped and weighed several times all over 37K. The DOT looked over the truck and trailer and said have a nice day.

You have to keep everything in good shape and load appropriately for the area your driving.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrLuckey
Keep in mind that hauling 18-20k across the flatlands is way easier than hauling 12-14k on single lane mountain roads with steep grades and switchbacks.
Agreed. I haul hay and horses but it's rarely over straight roads on flatland for very long. I load my 4K GN flatbed with 14K + the truck at 8K so I'm moving 26k throughout the summer. The other factor is whether your load is animate or inanimate - hauling livestock is much more difficult on varied terrain due to the load shifting - those horses just won't keep still. Good question! I like to see the heavy haulers are giving their trucks some "real work" to do.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 AM

my 36' has elect. over hydraulic breaks, they can stop anything.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 AM

IDhorsehauler, used to double decker gn with sheep and goats along with horses and cattle. In 07 hauled PBR bulls for 6 months till i got tired of the owners attitude. Mainly hauled them in 53 ft cattle pot with a 379 pete, wanna be nervous, haul about 4 million in animals. I know what you mean about shifting animals, they say the worse thing to haul is beef sides since they just hang and swing in the trailer
Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 AM
DRD

Wow, trucks must be better down south. Pullling my 12K trailer through the mountains is enough for me. I couldn't imagine going that slow over a pass and then riding the brake that hard down the other side.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 AM

no their not better, Its just guys who constantly haul heavy plan way ahead as much as possible just like driving a big truck. i dont run 70 over a mountain pass just cause the law says i can i start my down grades at a much lower speed and keep that way all the way down. hence the sign you see trucks use low gear. i plan my stops for my weights watch out for all the cars who want to dart in front of me and i dont get in a hurry in traffic. you'll see me going thru towns like houston at 55 in the center lane because its a safe speed even tho it pisses a lot of commuters off. haulers without common sense dont live or do it very long

Quick Reply: heavy towing