Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my GN from a place called C & M trailers in Ennis. Is that the outfit you are talking about?

C & M Trailers

(Not to be confused with CM Trailers out of Madill Oklahoma)
~Rob
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by gichugoat
Is there anyone on here from the Ennis, Tx. area? I am looking at a 20 ft. gooseneck made by Ennis Trailer Mfg. in a heavy equipment magazine. Was just wondering, by chance, if someone knows anything about this company and the trailers they build. They're 300 miles from me.
Thanks Wayne
I live on Richland Chambers lake east of Corsicanna bout 30 miles away from there. I called them interested in trailers about 6mo ago. Found that they do not normally sell to individuals normally sell to other dealers. Were backed up pretty good then too. On their 20' Deck over they were using Single axle electric brakes on 7,000# axles I believe. I ended up going with a place out of Mexia TX for my trailer. About the same price, but used thicker steel throughout. I bought an inbetween trailer not all the way deck-over not with 8" fenders either if that makes sense. Came with nice springloaded ramps, drive over fenders, two tool boxes up front and new tires.... When I looked at some of Ennis whatever trailers some of their tires were used didn't quite get that
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM

I asked about the tires and was told are brand new. These are 7000k axels with brakes on both axels. He told me they use "alex" axels, but was not sure if I heard him right. He told me if I perfer dexter axels, it would add $100 to cost of trailer. I asked about a 22' and was told to add $100 per ft. over 20'. Also said he would put fold up 5' ramps instead of slide in at no extra charge. Is this too good to be true? And yes there are trailer "dealers" closer but can't make this kind of deal. What ya think?
Wayne
Old 10-23-2006, 05:58 PM

Sounds good. I got my 20' with 2 7000 lb. Dexter axles and slide in ramps from C & M for $2600. With the 5' folding ramps, price would have been $2700. Tires were new. The place is not a showroom, they just fab them there and then ship to the dealers, but they will sell to individuals.

~Rob
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM

well i think that the tires would be the first clue.you can tell the difference between new and used tires.that is all i am going to say.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Banned

Check out Load Trail before you buy. Great price when I bought mine and have had no problems with it. I think P&J are made in the same place, but not confirmed. They are built in Sumner Tx, just outside Paris which is about 120 miles from Ennis. I bought mine back in 2000. 24 ft, steel floor, tandem, ramps, blah blah blah, $3600. Steel has skyrocketed since. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 24 footer came with brand spankin' new 7.50X16 bias ply tires. It also has Dexter axles. I pretty much arranged the whole deal over the internet by e-mail. I popped in on the agreed day and they had just finished the trailer up. The paint was tacky the axles had just been bolted on. They waited for me to show up and put the 6 pin connector on then (to make sure I wasn't needing a 7 blade RV style). They sometimes put used tires on the little 4X8 trailers that they build about a billion of each year. They try to keep the cost of those as low as possible to keep people buying them. They are like a loss leader ad in the weekly grocery store ad.
As far as I am concerned, they were the bset bet for the money. I could have bought much better trailers (overbuilt for what I needed) and paid the price, but for hauling 10K lbs. around, these (the C and M trailers of Ennis) are ideal.
Dry Creek
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Banned

Just make sure they wire it right. For cryin' out loud....those welders can't wire a trailer for nothin'....most of the time. My trailer is great, but the first thing I did was rewire the entire thing. Before you buy, look under one and see how well the wires are protected and then check the wire sizes. If your axle brakes are on 16 awg conductors, punt. Find another one! $.02
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Just make sure they wire it right. For cryin' out loud....those welders can't wire a trailer for nothin'....most of the time. My trailer is great, but the first thing I did was rewire the entire thing. Before you buy, look under one and see how well the wires are protected and then check the wire sizes. If your axle brakes are on 16 awg conductors, punt. Find another one! $.02
Good call, that is the only thing that I didn't really like about my trailer. To run the wires, the cut a jagged hole with a torch and run the wires through it. I am **** about stuff like that and would have preferred rubber grommets in the holes and sleeving over the wires. Someday I will rewire it myself.

~Rob
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hotdram
Good call, that is the only thing that I didn't really like about my trailer. To run the wires, the cut a jagged hole with a torch and run the wires through it. I am **** about stuff like that and would have preferred rubber grommets in the holes and sleeving over the wires. Someday I will rewire it myself.

~Rob
Yes. And I installed another set of stop-turn-tail lights in the back. That away if I'm on a road trip and lose a bulb, I have a spare already installed right next to it and I can replace the bad one when I get time. I'm pretty **** about lights too. The only thing between you and a wreck at night are good lights and 'reliable' wiring....not wires ran through a tourch cut hole! That will only last a few years.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:37 AM

While were talking about lights, I would highly reccomend that ya'll consider the LED lights. I replaced all the lights on my car trailer a while back, and it made a huge difference. Plus unless the lights get smashed somehow they should last almost to eternity.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM

I'm about the same distance as Bnold. I have had a similar experience wth them. Backed up and didn't want to sell to individuals.

I will be out that way this Sunday but they will probably be closed.

BigTex is one of the few manufacturers that have trailers in stock now days. Most everyone else is taking orders and delivery is 6 weeks out.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

I have to say that I do like Big Tex trailers but man those babies were another three grand when I bought mine for the same thing. Prices may have evened out by now. I want a dual tandem, deck-over. My low deck is nice, but the fenders sticking up get in the way more than they don't.

And what ever you do, GET DUAL JACKS! Two speeds are nice, but duals are a must! You may not believe me now, but when you blow a tire on the interstate and you have to unhook the trailer with #14,000 on it so you can go buy more tires, you'll thanks me.