Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Goose trailer parking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Goose trailer parking

Does anyone use an extension on their goose neck trailers to extend down from the coupler to a 2 5/16 inch ball for parking in very tight places using a front hitch? If so how well does it work, or is there another solution? I thought about welding a 2 inch receiver on the front to take a draw bar but the draw bar would have to be too long and would not be able to support the weight. Any comments?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm missing the concept, but you want to put a bar in your hitch, have a 90* bend up, and have your GN attach to that? How are you going to support it from bending/breaking/flexing in 360* of motion?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 PM

never seen the need to do so iv but my 24ft gooseneck into spots I would have struggled to fit my frinds 18ft bumper pull. But i think youd have serious structural issues if you tried it.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 PM

My trailer would have to much pin weight to try that with the axles are further back. I did see a ford on I95 towing a gooseneck with a ball mount in the rear hitch The truck was a jacked up dually 4x4 and still needed a hitch to elevate the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Goose trailer parking-bf-pic-3.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the ultimate trailer parker..goose or otherwise as you have up,down,side-shift and a very tight turning radius

Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM

If you have a well gusseted receiver and a light enough trailer... I don't see why you wouldn't have a problem using the front of back receiver.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
This is the ultimate trailer parker..goose or otherwise as you have up,down,side-shift and a very tight turning radius

That's simliar to what I do when necessary. Our GN is parked in an open area, so it usually isn't a problem. However when I do need to get it in a tight place, I just take the bucket on our Kubota, pick up the front and get er' in there.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM
With age comes the cage

Necessity is the mother of invention
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 PM

I love the idea of the fork lift but I don't have one and it would need to be a 4X4. Colo_River_Ram it looks like you using an extension with the fork lift, that's like what I meant, extend straight down and hooked to a 2 5/16 ball front hitch on a Landrover so it would have to come down a little further. I would only use it for parking the empty trailer when not in use, it's up hill at a funny angle and needs to be within a couple of inches of a fence and my 5ver so you really need to see exactly where the trailer is. I currently have a tag along equipment trailer that I use and park there, the goose would replace that.

Any other suggestions for tight goose trailer parking?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM

I don't get it, my truck came with mirrors, What more do you need?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried using my rear view mirror and can't seem to get this thing to back straight for the life of me must be broke or something
Old 02-09-2008, 07:46 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by Busboy
I love the idea of the fork lift but I don't have one and it would need to be a 4X4. Colo_River_Ram it looks like you using an extension with the fork lift, that's like what I meant, extend straight down and hooked to a 2 5/16 ball front hitch on a Landrover so it would have to come down a little further. I would only use it for parking the empty trailer when not in use, it's up hill at a funny angle and needs to be within a couple of inches of a fence and my 5ver so you really need to see exactly where the trailer is. I currently have a tag along equipment trailer that I use and park there, the goose would replace that.

Any other suggestions for tight goose trailer parking?
My other diesel powered 4x4 is my fork lift and it has 21ft of lift (Perkins 4 cyl-no turbo though) ... I have a hole in the end of each fork I can put whatever size of ball in that I need..I then raise the forks to what ever is needed to hook up to the trailer (Tag or GN). Your idea will work if it does not overload anything, as you are just spotting the trailer with it and not going down the highway at 75.. Here's a thought for backing and keeping it square measure the width of the trailer being towed and then measure the same distance and place a piece of tape on each mirror (I'm assuming you have tow mirrors)..then you can sight down the side rails of the trailer and compare it to the lines on the mirror.. the Dodge mirrors are flat which helps as backing with the "Cheby" mirrors suck..practice makes a good trailer backer..Hope this helps..
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by garr_trenching@
I don't get it, my truck came with mirrors, What more do you need?
Mine has mirrors also but I have to back in at 90 deg over the curb from a main road then up hill with the drivers mirror folded in just a couple of inches from the fence and the 34 foot 5ver about a foot from the overhang of the house, through a gate and then jack knife the 5ver towards the fence at the front until I have about a foot clearance.

I've been doing this for about the last 15 years, that's not the problem, the problem is the equipment trailer that I use all year round when there's a foot or so of snow on the hill and the trailer won't go exactly where you point it. It also has to be backed under the 5ver so the back of the trailer almost touches the 5ver front legs and is just a couple of inches from the fence. Don't forget it's at an angle and you can't see squat with the mirrors. Hooking to the front makes the exercise a breeze. especially in the dark the headlights work well.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Mine has mirrors also but I have to back in at 90 deg over the curb from a main road then up hill with the drivers mirror folded in just a couple of inches from the fence and the 34 foot 5ver about a foot from the overhang of the house, through a gate and then jack knife the 5ver towards the fence at the front until I have about a foot clearance.

I've been doing this for about the last 15 years, that's not the problem, the problem is the equipment trailer that I use all year round when there's a foot or so of snow on the hill and the trailer won't go exactly where you point it. It also has to be backed under the 5ver so the back of the trailer almost touches the 5ver front legs and is just a couple of inches from the fence. Don't forget it's at an angle and you can't see squat with the mirrors. Hooking to the front makes the exercise a breeze. especially in the dark the headlights work well.
Man, NOW I see what you're up against! It seems like you could use a front receiver with a goose if you can come up with something to take most of the pin weight. How about a something kind of like those rear 'helper' deals with wheels that they sell for receiver hitches? Maybe a 'crazy' (caster) wheel with a stout coil spring so that the wheel would follow the ground ..... ???? My 2¢
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
With age comes the cage

Busboy sounds like you now have an excuse to buy a Kubota tractor like JBjarko..there great snow/dirt/trailer movers

Quick Reply: Goose trailer parking