Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Electric Brake Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Brake Boxes

Just bought new 07 Megacab 4x4, need a new electric brake box. Which one is the best and easiest to use.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Perty much go in this order.

Brakesmart: $450
Jordan 20/20: $140 out of stock until new model in 07'
Prodigy: $?

other people will chime in or you can do a search.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Best (and most expensive) = Brakesmart

Best bang-for-your-buck = Prodigy

Easiest to install: Prodigy

Easiest to use: The better ones are all easy to use.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Perty much go in this order.

Brakesmart: $450
Jordan 20/20: $140 out of stock until new model in 07'
Prodigy: $?

other people will chime in or you can do a search.
You can get the Prodigy for less than $100 from RV Wholesalers if you catch it on sale.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a LOT more to the story than the cost. Why shop based on cost and just get whatever it is? These controllers play an important role.

The Brakesmart works on the truck's brake fluid pressure. It has a transducer teed into the brake line near the master cylinder. It is very smooth and can be set aggressive or very mild. It can be set up to initially apply the trailer brakes before the truck brakes, or at least very early in the process. Installation is a little complicated but is just a step by step procedure with everything included. It also has the ability to, later on, perform other functions, like gauges.

The Jordan works on the brake pedal position. It is very easy to use and can be set up to apply the trailer brakes before the truck brakes. Installation is a little tricky and requires the installation and adjustment of a cable and mechanism to the brake pedal arm. This limits the positioning of the unit and may make it work erratically (mine did). Jordan is easy to buy from and available for help on the phone. He offered to buy mine back. I found it harder to install than the Brakesmart with a lot of time working under the dash and figuring out, through trial and error, where to mount the bracket on the arm. I liked that it could apply the trailer brakes ahead of the truck brakes to help stabilize the trailer, or make it "pull back" a little while stopping. And it was easy to adjust to different trailers or with different loads on the trailer. I adjusted it while driving.

The prodigy works by measuring the truck's deceleration to determine how much brake to apply. It is the easiest to install. But is is only "reactive" to braking.

Between the Brakesmart and the Jordan I like the Brakesmart the best. It just went in and worked perfectly. And it has a clock and calendar. OK, so what? But the Jordan is easier to use. It can be adjusted on the fly very easily. So easily that I was always adjusting it. It's great to make the trailer hold back a little in the mountains as you coast to a little higher speed than you want, or set up to not quite lock the wheels in a hard stop. Then add some weight and still easily dial it in. This worked well for me because I tow my tractor and then the trailer empty. Then with equipment in the truck or rocks on with the tractor. Then a different trailer. The Brakesmart is harder to adust but better overall, in my opinion.

Wetspirit
Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wetspirit
There is a LOT more to the story than the cost.
Yep, having used ramped time-based, inertial and true proportional controllers, I agree 110%. If you're towing heavy, this is NOT the place to cheap out!

Rusty
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I tow very heavy. I started with the Prodigy,,,and hated it. If I had it adjusted right for highway speed's,,then it would slam me coming to a stop at the off ramp. If I had it adjusted for in town, then I was screwed if I forgot to dial it up for the highway. And believe me, it happened more than once. I was always having to readjust. I actually thought something was wrong with it. I've had 3 differant one's, all with the same result's. It was just the way it was.

I really didn't want to spend the money on a Brakesmart. But when I did, I was so happy. This thing is awsome. I would gladly pay twice what I did for it. It has way better stopping power, IMO, and alot more adjustibuility. The only thing I don't like about it, is it's harder to adjust on the fly,,,and pay attention to the road that is.

I guess if you're not towing really heavy, the Prodigy might be ok as long as you aren't changing tow weight all the time.

I know some will disagree with my comment's on the Prodigy, but I'm just telling my own expierance's.

I can't comment on the Jorden since I have not used one.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:24 PM

Thats exactly what I think, braking componants are not a place to be trying to save a buck if you are pulling heavy loads. Ive been using the Brakesmart since they came out and its very easy to use since ive gotten used to adjusting it. The more you use it the easier it gets. It is was easy to install and i havent had any kind of problems with it. It just simply does what you want it to do.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I chose the Prodigy for it's "bang for the buck"... it's not cheap, but it works well - I like the on the fly adjustability and the ability to manually override it. The parking brake feature is nice too.

I set it so the GN leads the truck when braking (don't forget to switch it back after you unload! or you'll smoke out the intersection )