Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

can i pull a 20,000lb trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd probably weigh 400lbs if I lived near that place! I can't wait to go back.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by wadecool
I'd chalk it up to a lucky lesson learned, but my point is that I was NOT trying to pull some crazy stunt to brag about later, as cowboy customs assumed.
I was in no way saying you were doing it for bragging rights, I was stating that the guys that have pulled that kind of weight, and turn around and do it again turn it into a big "Rooster" contest. (whats the other word for Rooster?)Yeah I understand, thats a good haul 250 miles one way, I would want to do it in one trip too, HOWEVER.... and yes I know monteagle and Tenn. VERY well. I cant count how many times I have pulled through that state. And I am surprised ya didnt get busted by a tropper in that weight station, but at 3 AM.......

Originally Posted by mr4732
I wouldn't tow that combo on a bet. WAAAAAAAAY too much weight for a 2500. As for the CDL, as long as the equipment is yours or you are not towing for hire you only need a current regular drivers license.
That ONLY applys to agriculture. "One does not need to Posses a CDL if the equipment in use is lisenced agriculture, and is not being opertated for commercial purposes."
Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only difference between a second gen 3500 and 2500 is the dual tires, hense I said not to overload the tires.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Cowboycustoms, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I know guys who do stuff like that just to show off, but like my dad says "the tuition for the school of hard knocks is VERY expensive you'll ever pay", and guys like that will pay sooner or later. I used to drive a 93 Coca-Cola truck with a service bed and a Cummins. I loved that truck, and I guess that's how I caught "Cumminsfever".
Old 03-14-2007, 04:37 PM

Since you gents are on the topic, here is my question.

My family just purchased a used 16k lb backhoe for use on our property, we have a 20k rated trailer (I don't know the trailer weight) with a goose neck two axle dual wheels.

I have a 03 3500 dually, exhaust brake and gauges to monitor temps. The trailer has great electrical brakes. For Ca I think the to weight for a non-commercial set up is 26k or is it 20k. Since the trailer is not used for a business can I move the backhoe with my truck over the Nevada border Ca about 150miles?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cditrani
I pulled a big pintle trailer a short distance. It weighted about 10K empty. It had air brakes so I was driving w/ no trailer brakes. Never again.
I want to know how you even moved the air brake trailer without the lines connected??
Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
cage off the maxi springs on the trailer, and off you go. or, if the trailer is old enough, no maxi-brakes anyway, so off you go.

It is easy enough to do, just don't want to have to do it very often.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pind, beat me to it. Ok, hey, been to Whitehorse, I got your cultural hub... where is that, at the Exxon station?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 AM

The trailer I pulled had electric brakes.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
I want to know how you even moved the air brake trailer without the lines connected??
Just back off the brakes, or like said before if its old enough....

Originally Posted by jujunto
My family just purchased a used 16k lb backhoe for use on our property, we have a 20k rated trailer (I don't know the trailer weight) with a goose neck two axle dual wheels.

I have a 03 3500 dually, exhaust brake and gauges to monitor temps. The trailer has great electrical brakes. For Ca I think the to weight for a non-commercial set up is 26k or is it 20k. Since the trailer is not used for a business can I move the backhoe with my truck over the Nevada border Ca about 150miles?

Thanks
no. OK, heres the deal, The truck is only rated to pull/handle/stop so much weight. that 20K trailer I immagine is a full steel tandem dually. I bet unladen weight is 6K. That 3500 is.... 7-8K? thats over, much over the GCWR for the truck. Not to mention over 26K which is CDL, and commercial vehicle zone. Being accross from Cal. to NV a few times I wouldnt try it, I dont know bout the rest of the Cal, NV border but way too many hills. They may not look steep, but thats why yer passing loaded trucks going 20-40 MPH tops! Just bite the bullet and pay someone. It isnt safe, nor legal. IF it was ALL flat land, and u went back road and never got over 50, maybe. Gooseneck or not, still dangerous.

I wasent trying to flame anyone, I was just amazed at how many guys didnt pipe up and say anything about not doing it. Just the ones sayin, "oh yeah I have done it before!" Just got my blood in a boil ya know, to me if ya want bragging rights, go hitch up to a sled ya know?

I hear ya on that tuition to the school of hard knocks! got a good laugh out of that one, I might put that in my sig!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jujunto

Thanks
First of all your truck probably weighs around 8,000 lbs. The backhoe is 16,000 and the trailer is way over 2,000 so you're in CDL and IFTA territory . GCVWR for a 3500 is 23,000 lbs. Lots of people pull more but there is a big liability factor there even if someone else appears to be at fault . I don't know the laws in those states but you'd have a hard time convincing DOT that is not a commercial setup . Much cheaper to pay someone to haul it 150 miles .
Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replys to my question I started the following thread and did some research as well

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=141793&page=2