Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What if I have a 20,000lb RV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if I have a 20,000lb RV?

Now what do I do if I purchase a 5er that has a max of 20,000lb and want a Dodge truck to pull it? I think I'm SOL :'(.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:What if I have a 20,000lb RV?

You'll need a 03-04 3500/DEE at least a 4:10 rear, Jake, and keep the trailer light. Go to the scale get the combined and fill it from there until you get close to your max for the 3500 in combined weight.

A 3/4 ton could pull it, need somemore springs some G rated tires in the rear and hope you never have a flat. I would never pull it with a 2500.

The cummins will pull anything you put back there. I'm speaking Insurance policy stuff above.

Dave

Old 09-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Banned

I guess you get a FORD 650 and order the cummins!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 PM

[quote author=y-knot link=board=11;threadid=20092;start=0#msg188859 date=1064451150]
I guess you get a FORD 650 and order the cummins!
[/quote]What do they call them? Super Cruisers? Nice!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:54 AM

[quote author=CoastalDav link=board=11;threadid=20092;start=0#msg188853 date=1064450663]
You'll need a 03-04 3500/DEE at least a 4:10 rear, Jake, and keep the trailer light. Go to the scale get the combined and fill it from there until you get close to your max for the 3500 in combined weight.

A 3/4 ton could pull it, need somemore springs some G rated tires in the rear and hope you never have a flat. I would never pull it with a 2500.

The cummins will pull anything you put back there. I'm speaking Insurance policy stuff above.

Dave

[/quote]

Well you can foget about trying to scale it and keep under weight unless your dually only weighs 3,000#. The dually with 4.10's is rated for 23,000 GCVW, that doesn't mean it wont pull it.

I haven't scaled my truck empty yet but I am told that they weigh somewhere in the 8,500-9,000# area.

But I have scales the GCVW when I had a load on my 40' Gooseneck and it was 30,000# I know I have been heavier then that once or twice also.

That said my trailer weight was somewhere in the 21,000-21,500# area, so yes it will pull it with some modifications.

I was over the GCVW but I stayed under the GVW and axle weights.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20,000 lbs. Wouldn't that be considered a mobile home?

Sorry, just never even seen one that big! ???

My suggestion is to start here.
http://www.mediumdutytruck.info/

As mentioned above, there is no way you can do it and stay within the manufacturer's weight limits. I'm one of the people who are of the opinion that it's just not a good idea, period.

Why?

You are talking about a trailer that, at full weight, exceeds the tow rating of any Dodge Ram pickup by 30% or more. Even with a 3500 dually, you'd be more than 2 tons overweight.

My first question would be, do you have a wife and/or children? I would not put my family in that truck under those conditions. Not a chance.

Second, are you sure your insurance policy will cover you with that trailer, at that weight? Being that much overweight could easily be considered gross negligence in the event of an accident.

Bottom line, I can think of too many reasons not to do it, and very few reasons to risk it. That trailer easily qualifies for a medium duty truck.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I guess someone did not read want I wrote. I assume the 20000 lbs he's talking about is the GVW (loaded condition) and not the light weight. Don't known what kind of trialer it is, but the light weight, less the loaded trailer condition has got to be down around 14000lbs with a pin weight of 2400 or so. The truck is about 7500 with fuel, don't known for sure have not looked it up. So if he goes to the scale with the trailer and the truck, he'll known what his combined light weight is. Next load the trailer until he gets the combined up to the trucks max rated combined weight. Granted that might not be what he wants to be put in it, but it will get down the road at our below the combined weight limit. Thats what was said above.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:15 PM

You are right, I was assuming that he ment it pretty much weighed 20,000. But maybe it rated for 20,000, that is the axle rating and it actually weighs no where near that. Need a little more info I think.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:41 PM

I was assuming a 20K GVWR for the trailer. But, I was guessing a 20K gross trailer at closer to 16K dry weight. 14K might be closer.

So even if the sticker says 14K dry weight, that's only on paper. The dry weight typically does not include any appliances that are not factory standard equipment. This can include A/C units, microwaves, TVs, stereos, oversized water heaters, awnings, batteries, etc. By the time it gets to the dealer's lot, it's at least 15K. That doesn't even include any propane or water. A 5er that size can probably hold at least 100 gal of fresh water alone.

A3500 dually QC weighs over 7,500 on paper. But just like the trailer, this is without anything added, like the 5er hitch, any cargo, or even a driver. By the time you get it ready to tow and add two people, you're probably at 8,500.

So with no cargo in the trailer - not even water, you're already at 23,500. Over the GCWR before you even pack the beer. :'(

And I would bet these numbers are light.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:55 PM

I have grossed right at 40k a few times with Dodge dually's. Is it safe, no. Can it pull it? Yes. Can it stop well, no. I would highly recomend going to a Chevrolet C4500 or C5500 crew cab with the D/A set up. I have been selling a bunch of them and they are a lot of truck for the price. Or, don't buy such a big trailer. My 6-horse Living quarters trailer weighs right at 21k loaded. It's a lot, but I do it all the time.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 PM

What about the 26,000# and commercial license. I think that rig needs to go on a diet. Weight loss needed for sure. The R in RV stands for recreation. Doesn't sound like recreation to me
Old 09-26-2003, 08:18 AM

My family and I have utilized one ton diesel's forever. We have a 6000 acre ranch and consistently pull cattle, horse, and bail trailers exceeding 20000 lbs. I also race superbikes and others in my family race cars so we constantly pull 20000 + lb trailers. When a one ton is properly equipped (fifth wheel or goose neck plate installed correctly) and the trailer brakes set right you will have no problems pulling your RV. No one would build an RV of that type when there is nothing out there to pull it safely. The truck manufacturers are conservative on the tow ratings. One tons are designed to pull large heavy loads and they will do it safely when properly equipped. I have a 50 ft race trailer/RV that was designed to be pulled by a one ton and I've never had a problem except going up steep hills.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:41 PM

So what happens when one of these monster trailers blows an electrical component and loses its brakes, particularly in the mountains, where you won't notice it until you're going down hill?

It's not an uncommon occurence out here. Lose your trailer brakes on a 1 ton with 20K+ behind you coming down I-70 and you could be in a lot of trouble - especially since most RVers have no exhaust brake.

Manufacturer limits probably are on the light side, but they also aren't set for best-case scenario. The truck should be capable of stopping the trailer without trailer brakes if it has to. If it can't do that safely under most conditions, then the trailer is too big for the truck.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:59 PM

[quote author=thecatsfan link=board=11;threadid=20092;start=0#msg189745 date=1064601719]
So what happens when one of these monster trailers blows an electrical component and loses its brakes, particularly in the mountains, where you won't notice it until you're going down hill?

It's not an uncommon occurence out here. Lose your trailer brakes on a 1 ton with 20K+ behind you coming down I-70 and you could be in a lot of trouble - especially since most RVers have no exhaust brake.

Manufacturer limits probably are on the light side, but they also aren't set for best-case scenario. The truck should be capable of stopping the trailer without trailer brakes if it has to. If it can't do that safely under most conditions, then the trailer is too big for the truck.
[/quote]

What you are saying is some what true, but that being the case any Semi tractor trailer out their should not be on the road then. Because if you are running at 80,000# and your tailer for some reason looses its brakes you are going to be S.O.L. if you have to stop fast.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:47 AM

That would be true even with functioning brakes; semis can't stop fast on many of the steep grades here - neither can an RV. That's why big rigs have to obey lower speed limits on many steep downgrades than regular traffic. RVs do not. There are also far better brake systems on big rigs - much more reliable than an RV system. And the driver has to be professionally trained to operate the rig and perform equipment inspections.

I believe big rigs are actually required to stop in some of the brake test areas here in CO, before they can continue down certain steep grades. RVs are not. A major problem, IMO, is that RVs are exempt from the laws, and professional training, that help keep big rigs safe.

If you had a Freightliner grossing 80K with a professional OTR driver inside, and a Ram 3500, with 5er, grossing 30K with Mr. Happy Camper inside, and both lost their trailer brakes coming down into Dillon, CO - well, my money's on the Freightliner being more likely to survive the hill.

There was a nasty accident not far from here this summer involving a big 5er. Fireman I know said they were pretty sure the trailer connector was unplugged - maybe it came loose, or maybe the driver forgot to plug it in.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never heard of an OTR driver forgetting to plug his brake lines in.

Quick Reply: What if I have a 20,000lb RV?