Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camper and TIPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper Wiring and TIPM

Hey,

I had the Happi-Jac camper tie downs and wiring intalled by the camper dealer last week. I asked about how they were going to get power for for the camper plug as I have read some issues with the TIPM. They did not cut any wires and took the power from the 7 pin harness at the receiver then up to the bed for the camper.

The camper service writer told me he knew two guys that had their trailer/camper wiring isolated (relay?) at the TIPM by a Dodge dealer; the price was about $250.

Anyone ever heard of this? Is it necessary?

Thanks,
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What's a TIPM? My Lance dealer installed an isolation relay along with all wiring and the HappiJacs. Seemed to be the standard setup, no extra charge. Anyway, the isolator is simply a Ford starter solenoid screwed to my firewall, couldn't cost more than $50 including wires and labor.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rare1
What's a TIPM? My Lance dealer installed an isolation relay along with all wiring and the HappiJacs. Seemed to be the standard setup, no extra charge. Anyway, the isolator is simply a Ford starter solenoid screwed to my firewall, couldn't cost more than $50 including wires and labor.
The TIPM is the Totally Integrated Power Module. I am not sure what year it was introduced, '06 I think. But in the later models there is not an in cab fuse block, everything is distributed by the TIPM which is under the hood.

In my 2005 Lance there is an isolator built in to the camper itself. That is it will not deplete the vehicle batteries, it measures vehicle battery voltage then shuts off charging the camper batteries if vehicle batteries drop below a certain voltage. This keeps you from worrying about not being able to start the truck after being parked for a while using the camper. I imagine your isolator is accomplishing the same thing.

I was more curious if anyone with the TIPM has ever heard of a Dodge installed component that prevents faults being introduced into the TIPM by the trailer/camper wiring.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Without the relay or isolator you can draw down the truck's main batteries. My 04.5 towing package did not include the relay. Therefore I unplug the trailer if I am going to be stopped for a couple of hours. The draw is only from the trailer batteries.