Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Beware Of RV Dealer Installed Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware Of RV Dealer Installed Options

Hey all,
Just had a nasty experience with my local Jayco dealer that I think everyone needs to know about it.
We bought our new Jay Flight 29FBS trailer in early June and have been very pleased with it. When we were looking to buy, we wanted the diamond plate front protection on the trailer. The unit we ended up getting off the lot did not have this option and we were unable to order the exact unit we wanted. At the time, I asked about having the diamond plate installed. The salesman at K&C RV in Longmont Colorado, said to have the option retrofitted would be "about $100.". (From the factory, it lists for $64.) At the time, we did not have it installed.
In early July, I called the service department about having the diamond plate installed. They quoted me a price of $144 for the part with an additional $130 for shipping. Ouch! The service guy, "Gary" explained that the high shipping cost is due to it coming by truck directly from Jayco. After some thought, I called back a few days later and had them order the part. Gary called back and said the cost of installation will be "around $6o.".
We needed to have a few minor warranty issues fixed and we dropped of the trailer on August 29. Today, September 19th, I went to pick up the trailer and was shocked to see that the cost of installing the diamond plate was $330!!! With parts and shipping my total bill for this one option was $609.08!!! (Remember, this is a $64.00 factory option!)Had I been informed of the true price of adding this option, there is no way I would have had it done!
Everyone, please beware of the insanely high cost of dealer-installed options! I really took this one in the shorts! The dealer and I are going to have a "chat".
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't pay it. Tell them to take it off or accept the price as quoted.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 AM

Quick Update:

Actually spoke to the service manager this AM. He actually seemed concerned over the problem. He has to look into it and get back to me. We'll see...
Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM

Tell him you will send your story to trailer magazine help section of the magazine. I bet the dealer will make it right.

Pete
Old 09-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Along with the magazine idea tell him you will post your experience over at RV.NET. When you post over there, they are tied to sevaral different sites so your post will be all over the net.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not surprised that it cost that much. Have you ever priced diamond plate? It's some expensive stuff. However, if you got a quote, they should honor that quote. Was it a phone quote or in writing in any way? email?

BTW, I have it on one of my TT's and I love it. it's worth it. Especially on a fibergalss body. Prevents rock chips along the front. You could have done it yourself for far less than the real price. just get a large peice at a lowes or Home Depot, and get an ac shop to cut and bend it then just screw it on.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Ahhh... got 'em!

I had a "chat" with the service manager and got him to agree to the original install price of $60. I admit I was surprised.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned 3 Jaycos and have found that the company will try to bend over backwards to satisfy its customers. The RV dealers, on the other hand, are a crap shoot - regardless of the brands they carry. A time or two, I've had to call Jayco to get something made right, but they always did. Heck, they offered to send me to a local non-Jayco dealer immediately and pick up the tab on a recall that the selling Jayco dealer claimed they couldn't perform for months!

Rusty
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 PM

By all accounts I've heard, RV dealers are possibly the only people more dishonest and sneaky than car dealers and service managers. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but the ones I've met and spoken with haven't done anything to dispell that idea with me.